Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restart Alta without an original Alta charger (no restart button)?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have read the instructions to restart my Alta however I don't have a button on the USB cable. Please could someone help? I don't know how else to reset it. Thanks

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
74 REPLIES 74

Plug it into your charger then quickly unplug and replug the USB end three
times. If reset, you will see the screen of the Fitbit change to a Welcome
screen. Can’t remember what it looked like. I had to try 3 times to get it
done quickly enough.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

Thanks have tried that 3 times and no joy 😞

Best Answer

Hi, the button on the charging cable stops the power to the Fitbit so unplugging replicates the button press. Ensure that you have plugged one end in to Fitbit and the other in to a usb plug and that it is switched on. at the plug end remove and replace the usb lead from the plug 3 times within 8 seconds. If not working you may have a broken cable

Best Answer

My Fitbit is under a year - so still under warranty, how do I go about asking for a replacement cable? As I understand Fitbit don’t have a physical store in Hong Kong... 

thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! Good to see you in the Community Forums! 🙂

I'm happy to see that most of you were able to restart your trackers by following the suggestion that @AndyB121 offered. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us Andy!

@sjyuen, I'm sorry to hear that you need to get your charging cable replaced. I'd like to know the reason you need to get it replaced. Did it get lost or is it damaged? Is it for the Fitbit Alta as well? I'll be looking forward for your reply to be able to help you out!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

I have the same problem.  I have the same charger as shown in the photo supplied by Kclwt.  Sucks that instead of posting a solution to the thread it was just sent by email to the ones who replied.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you get your Fitbit restarted? If not I’ll be glad to help.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Best Answer

Hi did you try the method I posted in this post?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Andy,  I did ascertain that the only thing a button on the charger would be capable of doing would be to interrupt the flow of electricity so I did try that option.  My cable is good, it charges the device, the battery dies within 5 hours.

I did try replicating the button method by interrupting the flow of electricity by unplugging multiple times, but that did not help.  Do you have another method?

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do not have the button and have tried to reset by the unplugging method which has not worked. Also have tried all the other steps with Windows 10 to sync the Fitbit Alta and nothing works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @Cbharr10 @JeanEd, good to see you in the Forums! 🙂

If you've tried the other method and it has not worked, unfortunately, there would be no other way to get the Fitbit Alta restarted if it's not by using an original Alta charger that does have the reset button.

If you're interested in getting an original charger, you can see it here.

Anything else, I'm here to help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FerdinandFitbit My Alta charger won’t clamp to my Fitbit due to a broken part that the spring attaches to. I’m unable to charge my Fitbit or even reset it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ordered a new off brand cord for mine when my cord broke.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit alta is less than 2 years old and, charger stopped working so ordered replacement that is not factory  Once fully charged Alta dies within 30 minutes. Before spending money on a factory charger is there a way to see if its going to work or is alta dead and needs replacement? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AndyB121 wrote:

Hi my wife has lost her original charging cable. Plug the replacement without the button in to a usb plug and simply unplug the cable from the plug and replace 3 times within 8 seconds and the Fitbit icon will show followed by the version and this will reset your Fitbit. Well it worked for us

Worked brilliantly! Thanks!!

Best Answer

I have no button on my cable so I put the Fitbit in the cradle of my cable and inserted the other end into a USB plug which was plugged into a normal wall socket. . I then used the switch on the socket to turn off the electricity supply 3 times as quickly as possible and hey presto it reset!!! And immediately synced!! Yeh!!! 

Best Answer

Hello! I am having the same issue. The battery symbol (with wavy lines) continues to show at around 75% even after taking it off the charger. It’s noy syncing, showing texts etc. I have my original charger and it does NOT have the button that everyone mentions to reset. I have cleaned it to ensure battery connection as suggested and still nothing. I’d love input on next steps. Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I contacted Fitbit and they had me do something so they could monitor it.  Finally they told me that it was no longer working and since it was out of warranty, I had to buy a new one.  They did offer me a substantial discount on a variety of devices.  I settled on a Flex II.  Good Luck
Best Answer

Im having the same issue like all of them. Im interested to buy an original charger but when click on the link u shared, theres no delivery to Malaysia.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Help lol...my alta won't restart

Best Answer
0 Votes