Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restart Alta without an original Alta charger (no restart button)?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have read the instructions to restart my Alta however I don't have a button on the USB cable. Please could someone help? I don't know how else to reset it. Thanks

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
74 REPLIES 74

Worked for me thanks!

Did it a few times, if not would’ve ordered another cable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unplugging the replacement charger without the reset button 3 times did reset my fitbit. It did not solve the problem of me suddenly having steps when I'm seated (and clipped to my bra, so I'm not gaining extra steps by moving my arm) or just way out of proportion than they have been for at about two years. (I sat nearly all day but somehow earned nearly 1600 extra calories today, which I don't even do on the days I jog 6 miles). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is our charger.  It has no reset button.  How do I reset this one?

IMG_20210103_103313.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem except that as soon as I unplug the charger my Fitbit dies within minutes. When I plug it in it restarts and shows the Fitbit logo, and shows that the battery is half full, despite being fully charged 5 minutes earlier. My charger also does not have the button and the plug/unplug 3 times to reset did NOT work. 

hat’s what mine is doing, it won’t stay on for more than a few minutes... 

JuanJoFitbit_0-1629893683754.png

sounds like I need a new one?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
That's exactly what this one does. I hope someone can help us!
Best Answer
0 Votes

This worked!!! Thank you!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sjyuen 

@swayamtripathy 

@dmnutt1 

@AndyB121

If you have a USB hub with switches:

1. Connect the charger to a USB hub with switches.

2. Connect your Fitbit to your charger, then flip the switch in the following positions within 8 seconds: ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for sharing! Seems like Fitbit should be able to offer that info as a restart option too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sorry you're having a hard time getting your Alta to sync and that you can not restart it because you don't have an original charger.

I'm not completely sure what this girl was referring to as an alternative, but I can probably recommend trying to set up your tracker as a new device. For this, go to the Account section at the top right corner on the Fitbit app and select the option that says "Set up a new device". Follow the on-screen instructions and once you're done, your tracker should be syncing without a problem.

If you'd like to purchase an original Fitbit Alta charger, you can do it from the Fitbit Online store.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The button on the charging cable connects a third pin to one of the power leads. It does not simply remove the power. To be able to restart, you will need a charging cable with the restart switch, from fitbit or a third party. 

Best Answer

Thank you! It worked here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great tip, thanks !

Think lesson is not to let it lose all battery power going forward......been without it for 4 days trying to solve ! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought my fitbit alta 2nd hand. There is no button on the charger. The device is.charged and on. I was able to set it up on my fitbit app. However the screen won't wake.  What do I do?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is the charger I have as well. I bought the fitbit second hand. I was able to sync it to my phone and get it paired but the screen won't wake 

Best Answer
0 Votes

connect it to a switched usb hub and flip the switch off and on 3 times quickly

Best Answer
0 Votes