Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restart your Alta

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Here are the steps on how to restart you Alta. Steps are also availible here.

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any USB power adapter.
  2. Insert the other end of the cable into the port on the back of your Fitbit Alta™. Your Alta will begin charging.
  3. Press the button on your charging cable three times within eight seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. 
  4. Eight seconds after the first button press, you'll see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This means Alta is restarting.
  5. After you see the logo you can unplug your tracker from the charging cable.
Best Answer
96 REPLIES 96
Hi, Im hoping you can help me. (Similar problem as someone above)
My Alta doesn't seem to be logging my steps. (I've walked around my house looking at it and nothing is being counted) I went to restart it, thinking that should resolve the issue and followed the instructions. Charger into USB, shows my Alta is charging. When I press the button, the charging box changes from solid into lines with a slight vibration each time. I press button 3 times within 8 seconds with brief intervals. Still shows lines of charging, never an appearance of the Fitbit logo. What do I do now??
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @leahkov! I am having the same problem as well. I used to be able to follow the instructions and restart it but now its not working for m either. I put in another Help Ticket to see if anyone will reply! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @leahkov I got a response from one of my other tickets and they reccomend Contacting Fitbit Support!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I contacted Fitbit Support with a similar problem and they were extremely
helpful but took a couple days to reply. Hang in there.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Will do thanks!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Where is the reset button on the charger for the alta?

It says on the end of the cord at the computer but I see absolutely no button.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

The restart button is located the end you plug into the computer or an adapter as shown below.

fitbit alta restart button.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Injury interrupted use of my Fitbit Alta for over a month.  Now date & time are wrong.  Followed directions to restart but did not correct problem.  What do I do now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Incrediby frustrated with this FitBit Alta. Actually two of them...

Wife and I left them at home whilst we went on holiday for a few weeks. When we got back they were completely dead. I have tried everything. The charger is aligned! I have used the reset button. This seems to be a problem that FitBit have not adequately resolved. People are spending  more time trying to charge them then use them! Man Sad Mike

@Paradox524 wrote:

Here are the steps on how to restart you Alta. Steps are also availible here.

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any USB power adapter.
  2. Insert the other end of the cable into the port on the back of your Fitbit Alta™. Your Alta will begin charging.
  3. Press the button on your charging cable three times within eight seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. 
  4. Eight seconds after the first button press, you'll see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This means Alta is restarting.
  5. After you see the logo you can unplug your tracker from the charging cable.

Spoiler

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm happy to welcome you to the Community Forums @B41Lits @MikeP77! Great to see around @leahkov @B41Lits @arson. Thanks to @SunsetRunner For the great assistance! Smiley Very Happy

I'm very glad to hear that our Customer Support team assisted you further @leahkov @B41Lits. Hope you get back on track very soon! 

@B41Lits in your case, it is best to sync your tracker to your account with the instructions my friend @HelenaFitbit provided. When the tracker hasn't been synced in about a month, it can restart itself and the time can get changed, but it will go back to normal after you sync. 

In your case @MikeP77 I would recommend cleaning the contacts of both your and your wife's tracker, as the contacts could be dirty and that could interfere with the charging of the tracker. You can clean them using a dry toothbrush or a toothpick. 

Give it a shot and tell me how it goes! Cat Happy

Annie| Community Moderator

Was my answer helpful? Awesome! Let's help our fellow Fitbitters by marking this as a solution, and vote up! 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,  you seem very knowledgeable on the fitbit. I received this Alta for Christmas. I was able to set it up through my mobile app but not through my Mac. The fitbit keeps flickering. I used your advise above and reset it. It still is on going when displaying the time etc. I have never seen the fitbit logo only the date and time. I'm really lost here being that I'm not familiarized with the fitbit at all. If you can help in any way with this situation, I would appreciate it. I tried to see if its on another board with an answer to fix but there isn't anything,

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I suggest contacting Fitbit Customer Support. There's a phone number or
email address on the website. Merry Christmas
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for joining us @NWalkx1 @JEB17! 😄 Heart 

@NWalkx1, in this case, as my friend @JEB17 suggested, it's best to contact our Customer Support team, since you have tried the restart with no success. You can explain the situation to them and they will gladly give you a hand with this. 

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate on posting them! Cat Wink

Annie| Community Moderator

Was my answer helpful? Awesome! Let's help our fellow Fitbitters by marking this as a solution, and vote up! 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes

This solution did not reset the time on my Alta. It fell an hour behind after I traveled to Central America. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't have an extra working USB port on my computer.  I have to charge my Alta with a charger in a wall socket

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I am trying to restart my ALTA in order to pair it with another phone, and I follow the instructions, the restart still does not happen. The ALTA is fully charged, connected to my MAC, but the image of a full battery does not change for anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

On my Alta I restarted it and it worked just fine.  Then 2 days later it would not sync again.  This time the restart does not work.  I have tried several times, I have tried with the battery full.  I push the button 3 times and I get the logo and number. . .but so resync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It didn't restart.

Mine isn't restarting 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

There is no button on the Alta HR charging cable.   How do I restart my fitbit

Best Answer

If it is a genuine fitbit charging cable there will be a button on the plastic of the USB end (not that easy to see but on examination is quite clear). If it is not a genuine fitbit charger, your guess is as good as mine!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes