Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restart your Alta

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Here are the steps on how to restart you Alta. Steps are also availible here.

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any USB power adapter.
  2. Insert the other end of the cable into the port on the back of your Fitbit Alta™. Your Alta will begin charging.
  3. Press the button on your charging cable three times within eight seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. 
  4. Eight seconds after the first button press, you'll see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This means Alta is restarting.
  5. After you see the logo you can unplug your tracker from the charging cable.
Best Answer
96 REPLIES 96

Doesn't work.  Have tried it about 100 times.  The Fitbit Logo is never disabled.  Any other ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a fitbit alta and there is no button at the end of my charger.  Am trying to restart as it wasn't recording my steps

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I just restarted my Alta as it said in your post and now I have a battery sign with a quotation mark in it what do I do

Best Answer
0 Votes

When my Fitbit was plugged in and charging, an appliance also plugged in same outlet, tripped a breaker. After Fitbit was charged it would not turn on. I've tried the reset, still nothing. Could this series of events have dried my Fitbit beyond repair?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I suggest you contact customer service. Sorry I can't answer. Good luck
Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit Alta displays the wrong time and date.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Please contact customer service. Sorry I can't answer your question
Best Answer
0 Votes

There is no button on my charger cable!

Best Answer
0 Votes

, Hi! I bought my Fitbit Alta in January 2018. I wear it everyday and all of a sudden it quit working. I have been able to get it going again by hitting he reset button 3 times and holding it down for 8 seconds, 3 times. Now it won’t do anything. I have cleaned the prongs and nothing. What else can I do?

thank you 

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry I can't help. Please contact customer support. Good luck.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the forums @Extilegirl ! It's nice to see you around @JEB17 ! 

@Extilegirl thank you for your participation in the Forums and for sharing your experience with your Alta tracker. I appreciate your troubleshooting efforts and would like to confirm if you've tried the complete troubleshooting tips from this help article: Why isn't my battery charging on my Fitbit device? These instructions include steps to restart the tracker if you would like to confirm them. 

@JEB17 thank you for your helpful advice to contact Customer Support

Let me know how it goes.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I no longer have an Alta and the only advice I can offer is to contact
customer support.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @JEB17 ! Thank you for reply. I am sorry for the delayed response. 

I appreciate the update and your efforts to help. If you would like to take a look at our latest models to find a device that’s right for you, you can take our quiz on http://www.fitbit.com/compare to see which device meets your needs best.

Have you checked our Discussions board? There you can share your story, find some fitness tips, recipes and more! Give it a look!

Keep on visiting the forums!

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My charging cable doesn't have a button on it, unless I am blind. Could you please post a picture or diagram of where the button is? Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I no longer have an Alta. Please contact customer service
Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @shawnbecher! It's nice to see you around @JEB17.

@shawnbecher thank you for sharing that your charging cable doesn't have a button on it. I recommend checking this post to see the photo of the charging cable and the button.   

@JEB17 thank you for your helpful advice to contact Customer Support

I'll be around if you need further help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you! My cable doesn't have that , so it must be a knock off replacement. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
No more fitbits  for me. . .can't keep them working.  Done.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @shawnbecher and @NBMURPHY86, it's nice to see you again in our Community Forums! 

@shawnbecher thank you for confirming that your charging cable doesn't have the button. I would like to know if you experience any difficulties with your tracker at the moment? I will be glad to follow up.

@NBMURPHY86 I'm sorry to hear about your experience and I am here to help you. Please let me know the details of the issue with your tracker. 

Looking forward to your responses. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

Any time the battery reading is yellow, and the Alta vibrates, it locks up, almost like the battery is dead. However when I put it on the charger, it still shows half or slightly more of a charge left, and I can immediately take it off the charger, and it's good until it vibrates again. I don't know if the battery is crap, or if a restart would make the battery reading show up correctly.

I got this unit secondhand, so I know no warranty will apply. If still like to get this figured out though, so I'll probably have to pick up a new OEM charge cable. 

Best Answer
0 Votes