Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restart your Alta

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Here are the steps on how to restart you Alta. Steps are also availible here.

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any USB power adapter.
  2. Insert the other end of the cable into the port on the back of your Fitbit Alta™. Your Alta will begin charging.
  3. Press the button on your charging cable three times within eight seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. 
  4. Eight seconds after the first button press, you'll see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This means Alta is restarting.
  5. After you see the logo you can unplug your tracker from the charging cable.
Best Answer
96 REPLIES 96

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @PJM2. Thank you for your reply, @Mimito4. I am sorry for the delayed response. 

@Mimito4 thank you for your efforts to resolve this. I appreciate the additional details. I've sent your information to the Customer Support team so they can get in touch with you and provide further assistance. You should be getting a reply soon. 

@PJM2 thank you for joining the thread and sharing that your tracker stopped vibrating when you get text notifications. I appreciate your troubleshooting efforts. Please try to restart your device by following the steps from this help article: How do I restart my Fitbit device? If the issue persists, please confirm if your tracker vibrates for other things. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I restart my Fitbit Alta, mine doesn’t have a button on the cord. Or any button on the device it’s the first Alta to come out.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Attach your Fitbit to the charging cord and then plug your charging cord in. Then plug and unplug it 3 times as quickly as you can. This interrupts the electrical flow just like the button does. Saw this somewhere and it’s the only thing that has worked for me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't know how to get off this mailing list but I haven't had an Alta
in a while and can't answer your questions

---
Best Answer
0 Votes
Ok thanks anyway, but to answer your question. You should be able to close the account for the community chat for Fitbit

Kind regards Casper21

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Casper21 @bsquires @JEB17, it's nice to see you again in our Community Forums. 

@Casper21 I am sorry to hear your Alta charging cable doesn't have a button in order to do a restart. Have you tried the steps suggested by @bsquires? Let me know the outcome.  

@bsquires I appreciate your participation in the Forums and efforts to help other users. Thank you for your time. 

@JEB17 I understand your concern and recommend checking this link in our Community FAQ where you can find the steps to customize your notification settings. 

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I am having trouble with the battery not holding its charge for more than 24 h.  It used to hold the charge for several days.  Is there anything I can do about it? Thanks Michelle

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had the same problem a while back. Threw it away.
Best Answer
0 Votes
How to Reset a Fitbit Alta or Alta HR Activity Tracker 

Resetting your Fitbit Alta only takes a few seconds. All you need is your charging cable and Fitbit Alta.

1. Plug the charging cable into your Fitbit Alta.

2. Press the small round button on the base of the charging cable three times within the span of a few seconds. After the third press, you will see the Fitbit logo appear and the Fitbit will restart.

Fitbit
  3. Your Fitbit should now be working normally.

Why Reset a Fitbit Alta or Alta HR?

Like rebooting your laptop or PC, restarting your Fitbit Alta can help resolve many common troubleshooting issues without any loss of data. Resetting a Fitbit Alta is quick and easy to do, and will help to fix the following issues:

• Your Fitbit isn't syncing
  • Your Fitbit isn't responding to your button presses, taps, or swipes
  • Your Fitbit is charged but won't turn on
  • Your Fitbit isn't tracking your steps or other stats

The Difference Between a Restart and a Factory Reset

Resetting a Fitbit Alta is not the same as doing a factory reset. A factory reset will remove apps, stored data, personal information, and credit/debit cards (for Fitbit Pay-enabled devices). Factory resetting is only available on the following models:

data-priority="5" data-sizes="[[300, 250],[300, 252],[3, 1],"fluid"]" data-rtb="true" data-targeting="{}" data-auction-floor-id="116ec8ed1951444499d40c9d86fc55a0" data-auction-floor-value="10" data-google-query-id="CKThtI6MxvICFVPEjwody6AFRg">
  • Fitbit: Ace 2 and Inspire Series
  • Fitbit Aria 2
  • Fitbit Charge 3
  • Fitbit Ionic and Versa Series
  • Fitbit Flyer

How to Erase the Data on Your Fitbit Alta or Alta HR

With the Fitbit Alta, there is no factory reset option. Instead, your data is automatically erased when it's paired to a new account. Alternatively, you can erase your tracking data by removing the device from your account.

data-priority="6" data-sizes="[[300, 250],[300, 253],[4, 1],"fluid"]" data-rtb="true" data-targeting="{}" data-auction-floor-id="b2ceee39e93142018296bf03fd0d6442" data-auction-floor-value="10" data-google-query-id="CMPM85GMxvICFQn2jwodi3oI1w">

How to Remove Your Fitbit Alta or Alta HR from Your Account

Removing your Fitbit Alta from your account will erase your tracking history. To preserve this data, be sure to do a Data Export before or after removing your device.

1. If you want to save your data, be sure to do a Data Export from your Dashboard menu before or after you remove the device. Fitbit will send you an email with instructions on how to complete the data export.

2. Go to the Fitbit website and log into your account.

3. From the Fitbit dashboard, select the gear in the upper-right corner and select your Alta Tracker.

4. At the bottom of the page, select Remove this Alta from your account.

data-priority="7" data-sizes="[[300, 250],[300, 254],[250, 250],[200, 200],[180, 150],[6, 1],"fluid"]" data-rtb="true" data-targeting="{}" data-auction-floor-id="da82a21b54624d5b8bddcaf9db010a6d" data-auction-floor-value="10"> 
data-priority="8" data-sizes="[[300, 250],[300, 255],[250, 250],[200, 200],[180, 150],[7, 1],"fluid"]" data-rtb="true" data-targeting="{}" data-auction-floor-id="69f1130cae564485925bcdde0dcf66ce" data-auction-floor-value="10"> 
data-priority="9" data-sizes="[[300, 250],[300, 256],[250, 250],[200, 200],[180, 150],[8, 1],"fluid"]" data-rtb="true" data-targeting="{}" data-auction-floor-id="ac910d2d6fc049b38753cbcaf6b26275" data-auction-floor-value="10"> 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much for the restart instructions! My Fitbit Alta is working again. I hope everyone that is having the same trouble reads this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I was walking and got my 10000 steps and my Alta hr buzzed and then turned off and want charge or restart😭

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's the wrong time and date and day

Best Answer
0 Votes

I couldn't find the button,I thought it was the design of the plug.its a small circle on the plug the other end from your watch. I still can't bet it to do anything, good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's just a circle, I thought it was the design

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is no button on my charging cable.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes it restarts but 2 hours fast and 2 days out. I’ve been told I need a smart phone to reset the time. My tablet and laptop don’t want to know. I don’t have or need a phone..so have to take 2 hours off when I look at it. I don’t know why it changed as I have worn it 3 years. It changed when I put it on charge.

Sent from Mail<> for Windows
Best Answer
0 Votes