Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Fitbit Alta HR waterproof

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am starting regular swimming now and just wondering if my Fitbit would be ok in the pool. Also is it capable of coping with being in the shower. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

It is water-resistant, not waterproof.  The only waterproof trackers are the Flex 2 and the Ionic.  Although I have the Ionic, I've never tried it anywhere near water (except for washing my hands), so I can't speak for how well the waterproof feature works.

Although people have worn their trackers in the shower, I would not suggest this.  Yes, the tracker is water-resistant, but there is a constant onslaught of water, which could ruin the device.  The other reason I would not recommend it in the shower is the same reason I have never used my Ionic in the shower: the shampoo or soap could get into the tracker fairly easily, and you don't want to ruin an expensive tracker.

If however, you do accidentally wear your Alta HR in the water, I do have a suggestion for drying it out: put it in white rice.  Rice is starch, which will attract the water, and hopefully restore the device to working condition.  That's what my family and I did when my sister dropped her phone in the lake once: she literally ran into the water and the phone fell.  Hours passed, nobody had any clue that she had lost her phone, until she wanted to go home.  My sister and the rest of the family searched for the phone, while I was on my own phone calling hers on the off-chance it would work.  They found it in the bottom of the lake, and surprisingly it still worked but it was funky.  So we put it in some rice for the rest of the night and by the next day, you would have never known that she dropped it in a lake!

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with @DramaQueenDiva - dont shower or swim with your Alta HR. It is not made for that. If you do and it kills it it will not be covered by warantee.

As far as the waterproof trackers go - the flex 2 and the Ionic - I swim with both and shower with both. Both are waterproof and soap or shampoo dont appear to be an issue, so if you do go that way you can shower and swim with no problems.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

How did you find it at the bottom of the lake?

Best Answer

The FitBit Alta HR is not waterproof.

Android and iPhone 6s. Versa, Flex 2, and Zip
Best Answer
0 Votes

NO NO NO!!! The rice thing is a stupid urban legend. It won’t work for a phone or anything else. It’s a luck of the draw if something will work after exposure to water. 

Best Answer

Thanks I had the same question, and I will not be trying my Alta HR in a swimming pool 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

The rice thing is NOT a myth. I went camping, and a huge storm came up. I was back and forth to the car, fetching tent pegs to peg the tent down. I left my camera in the car to keep safe from the potential elements. I hammered in the last peg, and went to sleep. The storm was massive! The bottom of the tent lifted up because of the water coming under it - it was tor-rential! Next morning, the camp manager woke me up to let me know they were trying to dry my camera. I had left the car boot open. The car was soaked in the boot, and the battery compartment was filled with water. The camera had gotten very wet indeed (Nikon D3100), and stayed wet for hours. I put it in rice for a few days, and after that, turned it on, and it hasn't shown any signs it once was wet since.

Best Answer
0 Votes

the reviews say it's water resistant. One guy even dunked his hand in water to collect something from a large jar. He forgot the alta hr was on his arm. Everything was still ok.

I see this is an old topic, have you had any luck with water on your alta hr? It will be interesting how water resistant the fitbit really is.

Best Answer
0 Votes