Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lifespan of the Fitbit Alta

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have read most of the posts on problems with Alta charging and staying charged.  I have restarted my device several times, cleaned my charger and Alta battery areas, tried to charge on a computer versus the wall and even tried 2 different Alta chargers to ensure it wasn't the specific charger I was using which was faulty.  

I received my Alta as a Mother's Day gift last year, so it's not even 1 year old.  I've already had to replace the band because the glue came undone on the part that connects to the actual Fitbit.  What is the average lifespan of a Fitbit Alta?  I love my Fitbit, but don't think it's a good investment to buy a new one every year.  It's a shame because I also received the Fitbit Aria scale as a Christmas present, so I'd like to stay with this brand and would hate to have to switch activity trackers.

Any help would be appreciated!  Cheers!

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
78 REPLIES 78
Hi,

I originally thought I had mine only a few years or so, however I bought mine 8 years ago and all is working absolutely fine, I have been lucky enough to have no issues whatsoever.

Minimo
Best Answer

What kind of fitbit do you have 

Susan

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had 2 alta HRs one died 10 months, and its replacement 5 monthsThen I bought a Charge 3, 12 months.  Seems the smaller profile of the Alta HR doesn't seem to live as long
Best Answer

Hi,

I have a Fitbit Alta.

I have a Fitbit Alta, never had any problems with it and it's still going strong, only had to replace the straps but that's all.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Alta is still going after 4 years, although it seems to need recharging more often.   Seems like the original Fitbit Alta, no longer available except maybe on Amazon, was the more durable Fitbit.

Mary

Best Answer

I've had my fitbit alta for 4 years!! and its still going..

Best Answer

make sure you have the charger into a usb port on your computer and recharge. it worked for me. before i had the charger on my modem and it didn't work. it would charge and then the face would go blank. now that its hooked up to the computer its good again. we'll see if it lasts.

Best Answer

I have the same problem with my Alta fitbit. It goes off suddenly even though it is fully charged. It won't work until I plug it into the wall and synch it again. It also changes the time suddenly. By the way, the same exact thing happened to 2 more devices my daughter bought for her friend as a gift. And unfortunately they live in Istanbul and couldn't get a replacement or so. We are very disappointed with Alta, Alta HR is definitely better. Please provide a solution for us.

Best Answer

Just thought I'd add that despite some sites saying the lifespan expectancy was 1-2 years, mine is only dying now, just after passing it's 3rd year. There was a couple moments over the time where it seemed like it may have been done. One time the screen wouldn't work anymore and would just fuzz, but eventually it just started working fine again. So I do recommend people give their fitbit a chance as it may just have a bug or whatever. Only recently it has been having constant issues and I now feel it is time to move on to a new fitbit. 

Best Answer

Had my fitbit alta for five years and it is still going as well

Susan

Best Answer
Congrats for having one that works neither of mine did not survive 12 months  the odds are not in your favor
Best Answer
Interesting that yours lasted. After owning three of them, and each of them lasting only 1-2 years, I’ve finally given up on Fitbit due to reliability. I’ve spent a little more and got a Garmin smartwatch (last December. So far so good, and they update the software and gps regularly, and ....it links with Bluetooth headphones and plays Spotify And charges within an hour.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I’ve had my Alta HR three years and it is no longer holding a charge. I called customer service and they asked me to do some troubleshooting and when that didn’t work that was all they could do. I believe these products should last more than this. I’m really disappointed and am thinking of buying another brand of tracker. 

Best Answer

What did the customer service say i wonder why is not hold the charge any more 

Susan

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m the same, 4 years later of daily wear, travelled the world with it and it’s as good as new! Absolutely no complaints 

yes the rubber bands break but you just order more off eBay for like $2. 

Best Answer

I have similar experience. My Fitbit Alta is going to be 4 years later this month and it's running fine. The battery life has diminished (4 days instead of 7 days) and I can't see the small letters and nothing in the daylight but so far so good.

My wife's Fitbit Blaze has battery issues (same 4 year) and it's practically dead now. I have had "up" before this and had several issues so Fitbit is still way better than the others though I wish that we can use disposable batteries like Garmin vivofits which can go on for 1-2 years with one CR2032 battery with no charging issues. 

Best Answer

Went through 2 bands and 2 yrs 5 months!! Also I have to where my Fitbit and my ankle to work 6 days a week!! Hence the reason I get over 20,000 steps a day when I work lol!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've loved my alta hr for about 2 years. It replaced my first one which died at one year. But 2 days ago, it started buzzing, no lights. I looked up community help, and put it on the charger to reset with the button on the cord. When I hooked it up to the charger, all sorts of symbols came on. Then it went blank again and later went silent. Not even the little green light underneath anymore. I tried charging/ resetting a few more times. Nothinf. What's funny is that it has given me step numbers on my dashboard yesterday and today! - while it's dead! Am looking at what I want to replace it with. The day before it died, the app was not recording my food right. It would add it to 2 days in a row, so I deleted the food from the wrong day. But the apptook those entries back out of the correct day s we'll! So I have one day with no food recorded,and I can't put anything there without it recording it on the day that I am doing it! 

Best Answer

I had my firbit alta for six years had to get a new one fitbit versa2 smartwatch 

Susan

Best Answer