Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Alta keeps shutting down.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Last three days Alta not charging beyond 80%, even overnight. When I put it on it shuts down right away. I’ve had ‘tis Fitbit for about a year & have had ongoing problems of this type. Not sure if I’ll want to buy another one eventually as am not too happy with this product. Please help!

Best Answer
53 REPLIES 53

I am sorry you are facing this. My Alta battery is discharging way sooner too since a couple of months, but mine is over three years old now, so I cannot really comment on your relatively new band issue. 

But seeing multiple similar battery discharging too soon/not charging/going blank issues on the Alta forum - perhaps a FitBit moderator help address this recurring coincidence in the Alta community? 

Best Answer

That would be a great idea. My Alta is two years old and does the same thing.  With a full charge, I can be in the midst of a 4 mile walk, and look down to check steps and time and the darn thing is dead. No response. I am having to charge it almost every day, and the sync pattern is messed up, as well.

Best Answer
My Alta is 4 years old and just started doing same. Ugh... I paid enough money for this piece that I feel it should not be dying!! Very disappointing...
Best Answer

I am also having the same problem with my Alta. 🙁

Best Answer

It happens the same to me (my Alta is also about 3 years old). Any moderator who could help us? 

Thanks!

Best Answer

Having a somewhat similar problem. Today during my walk it just stopped recording everything about half-way through the 45 minutes. When I got home I tapped on it and it was dead. I plugged it into the charger and it showed the battery level to be basically empty but within about five minutes of it being plugged into the charger, it was up to 80%. My Alta is now five years old. I think these things have a planned obsolescence of about two years. I'm thinking about getting a Flex but I read those boards and people have lots of problems too.

Best Answer

I face the same as you guys and feel really unhappy with fitbit for not doing anything about it. I contacted them and they proposed absolutely nothingif your watch alta is older than ayear so not under warranty anymore. For me, bad luck euh) it started within the second year of usage and I haven’t used it much before that. The pattern here is that it stops while still on an 75-80% battery charged, never goes below that as it simply shuts down As if discharged. I charge it Overnight to 100% and it discharge to 80% within half day or so... in short: useless. This is clearly abug that fitbit should address as it affects numerous users. Nobody buys a watch at that price so that it lasts only one year!  So very much hoping someone competent and conscientious from Fitbit can reply and help.

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing I have tried to reset it anyone else get any way to fix it?

Best Answer

Just adding to the list... same experience. My Alta is about 2 years old; stops working when battery depleted to 80% (only turns back on once plugged in again even though battery always says unit is still 80% charged).

Is there any Fix for the bug? Is there any effort to make this right? Is there even a coupon for a replacement? 

Best Answer

Mine is doing exactly the same as all the others. Shuts down, unable to sync, only two years old. Going back in the box and will not replace with Fitbit.

Best Answer

Same here. It starts back up on connecting to the charger. Otherwise it dies within a few hours. Mine is 4 years old

Best Answer

Having the same issue too, battery is fully charged, works for around half an hour the. Turn off and have to connect to charger which is showing as battery power is 88 percent or so.  Not sure why this is happening really quite annoying.

Best Answer

Obviously this is an operational programming issue, since it is happening in New AND older models of the Alta Fitbit. It is frustrating and discouraging. I will NOT buy a replacement from Fitbit.

Best Answer
I had good success with resetting my watch; check out these instructions: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186.htm

---
Luke Morales
(919) 302-0620
Best Answer

Tried it. Seems working for a very short time, then started allover again. But many thanks to you for sharing it! Frankly, the fact it’s happening to so many of us is no coincidence and the fact we aren’t getting any reply or support is tremendously  and growing’y frustrating. Starting to think about what we could do about it, because a watch at that price that doesn’t operate well after a year from a brand that feels no need to fix it is just a scam.

Best Answer

Same here - totally fed up - obviously a software problem so an update should sort it. Mine's was new at Christmas, but replacement 3 or 4 - what a load of rubbish they are! 

Best Answer

Update!!! I have got a replacement on the way!

The wait from 32 in chatroom queue dropped pretty quickly. I had typed this out ready to paste in and after checking a few details, I had success. 

"Every few days my Alta shuts down during my exercise, even though when I sync the battery shows as well over half charge. A lot of people in the forums have been reporting the same in the last two weeks - you clearly have a software problem. I received this one on Christmas Eve so it is less than 8 months old. What a poor product - so not worth the money!!!"

I also pressed that so many had reported the same thing here, in less than two weeks, and asked him to report upwards for technical investigation into the software. He agreed! 

Best Answer

I have reset my Alta, several times, with the same result...nothing changed.  When I reset, the time is off. I go to resync to fix it,  and the program cannot find the device. I am just about ready to throw in the towel. Who said we had to know how many steps we were walking a day,  anyhow? Does it matter? We are going to walk, anyway.  I know how far my walking route is and how often I walk it.  Pulling my Seiko out of the jewelry box and replacing the battery.  Throwing the Alta in the trash where it belongs.....

Best Answer

Thanks and congrats to you! Was your Alta still on warranty ?

Best Answer
0 Votes