Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Alta turns itself off.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Alta turns itself off and won’t turn back on till placed on charger. I just took it off charge this morning and it has a medium battery life any suggestions? It was working fine till the beginning of April and now it keeps turning off. i am not sure if the update has anything to do with this? it is very frustrating.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
146 REPLIES 146
I threw mine in the bin was battery and just bought Fitbit Versa I’m happy with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

My alta has been doing the same exact thing, and its really frustrating because I love my alta and just wish it would stop turning itself off. It seems to do it the most every night when I'm sleeping and don't have much movement for awhile, and then every morning I wake up to it being turned off and needing to be put back on the charger so I can wear it during the day.   😞

Best Answer
Mine seems to be doing better (fingers and toes crossed), since I reset it. At least it’s gotten me through four whole days so far, which it hasn’t done since August.

If it starts to act up again, I’ll write to the Fitbit folks and see if I can get a new one like others have done. Sorry to hear that yours isn’t cooperating either. Have

talked to anyone via chat about it yet?

Donna
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been having this issue as well.  Even when battery is full, shuts off for no apparent reason.  This after often going days at time without being able to receive notifications.  Calling customer support always results in long wait times.  Contacting on line is always the same response about restarting.  I have decided it's not worth the hassle and am going back to a good old "dumb" watch.  Hopefully Google buying Fitbit leads to better products and customer service.

Best Answer

Has a general fix been found for this problem?

I haven't worn my Alta in several months but recently pulled it back out.  I charged it but within 5 minutes of taking it off the charger, it has become unresponsive until it is plugged back in at which point it shows the fitbit logo and the software version.  Battery has never dropped below approximately 75% so it doesn't seem to be a batter issue.

I have tried restarting and it hasn't helped the situation.  Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer
Fitbit have gone dark, so unless you’re in the 1 yr warranty period they don’t want to know about it, even though it’s obviously a product defect.
Good luck
Change brands is my advice
Best Answer

Mine too! Should have had a recall this is clearly a known fault ! I’m really angry 😡 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has started switching itself off too, when I plug it in it switches back on but I can't do this if I'm out. It's around 2 years old, I had the original one replaced a while back. Is there a fix for this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've just spent the last two days getting frustrated and having completed 3 restarts did a google search and found this forum subject.

I'm out of warranty therefore sounds like my Alta is destined for the bin.

@Fitbit - surely you must have a solution based on the number of incidents that are being reported ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is also out of warranty and doing the same thing. I gave it to my daughter who has her own account and it's doing the same thing to her.

I have restarted a million times, battery is full, it's on a brand new account. Software is updated. Fitbit Alta still turns off and will only turn back on once it is plugged in. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My ALTA HR has started turning itself off even though fully charged. 
I have to reset it each morning then I charge it - it seems to mostly last the day but in the morning is dead again!
I have switched off all alarms and notifications but still the sam 

I have had this Fit bit for just over 12 months - not sure how long warranty is for? 

Or any other advice for this issue

Thanks 

Jac

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think ita a year for the warranty period.  Send a message to fitbit they can tell you for sure.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks celtisfan. Yes checked and says 12 months so not sure what to do with it now. Can't carry on doing this every day! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My device had this happen as well.. Support's only advice was to buy a new one since it was out of warranty even though this seems to be driven completely by a fault in design and should be covered outside of warranty. Discounts given to buy new device did not cover some of the newer models so I have taken this chance to move to another brand (Garmin) to see if they protect their consumer a little better. You are able to export your fitbit data and pretty seamlessly move to a new platform. Enjoying the new Garmin already

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine does it too. Can have full charge but as soon as I unplug from charger it turns off. Reset had no effect. Sad as am doing lots of running at the moment 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue.  Started yesterday. Restart does nothing. Plugging in the charger to the  display doesn’t show anything.  Tracker is fully charged as seen in the app but doesn’t turn on, react to taps or swipes nor will sync. When it first started the green lights on the back stayed on solid. They went off and now are just flashing. Appreciate any help.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Contact customer service. And hope your in the warranty period or you out of luck

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

The same thing is happening to my Fitbit Alta!!!  It just turns itself off, sometimes up to a 3 times a day, even though the battety has over 80% or 90% charge. It restarts fine after I input the charger and hit the reset button... but I should NOT have to keep doing this! 

It is soooo frustrating 😤!

Why are there so many people experiencing the same problem? 🤔 

Best Answer

My Alta did the same thing after about 1 year of use.  Given that their warranty is only 1 year and my Alta battery started not holding charge after 1 year I highly suspect the quality of Fitbit products and its battery quality.  Best to look for other brands.  I just kept my device in the drawer and only recently found it again.  Then I googled for similar problems only to find that many people have this same problem.  When I got my Alta, it was the latest and greatest so no one had any experience with their battery life.  So you will have to decide if you want to spend $100 on a device probably good for 1-2 years at best.  Then the battery will stop working and by then most likely warranty is over unless you purchase extended warranty.

You and I both.  I took it off probably 1.5 years ago when it started doing exactly the same thing.  Just found it again clearing my drawer and of course was told my customer service that device is faulty but unfortunately warranty ended. So if you are pass 1 year, you got yourself a dud.. not even heavy enough as a paper weight.  Probably best to look for alternative brand trackers without such battery problems.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing.  Battery is 50% and it turns off.  I put it on the charger and it comes back.  I've tried resetting it, but it just turns off. What is the lifespan of the battery? And can the battery be replaced?

Best Answer