Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Alta turns itself off.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Alta turns itself off and won’t turn back on till placed on charger. I just took it off charge this morning and it has a medium battery life any suggestions? It was working fine till the beginning of April and now it keeps turning off. i am not sure if the update has anything to do with this? it is very frustrating.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
146 REPLIES 146
A FitBit representative contacted me to find out more details, so hopefully
they will do the same for you. Good luck!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, my device was still under warranty, so a new one is being shipped. Hope they have fixed whatever is wrong with the old ones.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Contact customer service And they will start a ticket for you and if your still in the warranty period they will replace it.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @TNVols! It's great to see you around @cherylqw , @wednitebob and @Celticsfan ! 

@TNVols thank you for sharing the details of the issue you're experiencing with your Fitbit Alta. Since the steps to restart your device didn't work, I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our Support team, for them to take a deeper look at this. Please keep an eye on your inbox for further instructions.

@cherylqw I am glad to hear that you're working with our Support team. I am sure they will help you in the best possible manner, each case is reviewed individually and the troubleshooting and solution that's being provided is based on the Fitbit Warranty.

@wednitebob I am glad to hear that you will receive a replacement! I appreciate your feedback, we're constantly working on improving our devices and user experiences.

@Celticsfan thank you for your helpful advice!

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My replacement Alta has been "in process" since last Wednesday and still only has "label printed" according to FedEx.  The device turned itself off four times Saturday and I lost about 15,000 steps.  I figure I am short about 50,000 due to this defect.  Please tell me the replacement won't turn out to be "out of stock" or take several weeks to be delivered.  This is very frustrating.  Thanks for any assistance that can be provided.

Best Answer

Hi @wednitebob , it's nice to hear from you. 

Thank you for sharing the status of your replacement order. I totally understand how you are feeling. I've gone ahead and updated your case for our Support team to check on your replacement. Please keep an eye on your inbox. Meanwhile, I recommend to manually log your exercise to get credit for the lost steps: How do I manually log exercises in the Fitbit app?

I'll be around if you need further help!

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I’m having the same problem with my Alta. I got my original one replaced around Christmas last year, when the strap broke. I’ve rebooted it several times over the last few months, and it’s driving me crazy. I’m trying hard to build up activity after serious illness, and although if I miss steps it’s not a nightmare, it does rather defeat the purpose of having one!

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Osteojo.

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and sharing that you're experiencing the same issue with your replacement Fitbit Alta. Thank you for your troubleshooting efforts. I totally understand how you are feeling as you would like to continue using your tracker and working on your health and wellness goals. Since the steps you tried didn't work, I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our Support team so they can get in touch with you and provide further assistance. You should be getting a reply soon. 

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Osteojo I’m sorry to say but @Fitbit isn’t going to do anything about this problem. I’ve had my tracker replaced 3 times. Each tracker was defective. No one from Fitbit has come out and said what happened (thinking a bad software update that corrupted the devices). If you read through these forums it’s all the discussions of the same problem. @LiliyaFitbit has just given you a generic reply and maybe you’ll get an email with an offer for 25% off a new tracker. It used to be 50%. 

My suggestion is to move on from this company. Their lack of transparency with this shutting off issue has turned me off to purchasing anything else from them. Every customer that has purchased an Alta deserves a refund.

Best Answer

It's nice to see you around @Amag5.

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and sharing your experience, feedback and suggestion. We provide feedback to our team based on the Community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here.

I'll be around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @LiliyaFitbit 

I hope some of the feedback includes compensating customers for a poor product. And I mean with a full refund and not the replacement of one defective device with another defective device. 

Real answers to problems with the trackers would be nice too. I have yet to read why the Alta trackers stopped working. My device was less than 6mos old when it stopped working. Paying $100 for a product that worked for less than a year is a major problem. 

Best Answer
I had a defective Alta that was eventually replaced - at least a month after they claimed that the replacement had been mailed to me (tracking numbers and all). Took many phone calls and message before the replacement finally arrived. Terrible customer service - not sure how they stay in business - but it will be my last purchase from this company.
Best Answer

Thank you for your help with this. I did some battery testing with the support team (it turned off at 75% again!) and I now have a replacement on the way.

Best Answer

I’m having the same problem. I’ve had mine a few years now. Has to reset almost hourly at this point. 😞

Best Answer

Hello everyone, thanks for your participation in the Community. I am sorry for the delayed reply. 

@Amag5 @wednitebob I really appreciate your feedback and time you took to let us know your frustration since this helps us to keep improving.

@Osteojo I'm glad to hear you're getting a replacement after working with the Support team. 

@Tiffmom84 thank you for joining the thread and sharing that you're experiencing the same issue with your device. I understand that you've had the device for a few years and have to restart the device almost hourly now. I've sent your information to the Customer Support team so they can get in touch with you and provide further assistance. You should be getting a reply soon. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Alta is painfully joining the party with this malfunction but I’m sure I’m out of warranty which sucks since this is obviously a systemic software issue and nothing to do with the physical device. Sometimes it goes for hours and hours after a jump-start and other times it might be just 1 hour or even less.

Come on FitBit - not looking good for your product. Please offer some hope, especially for those of us out of warranty.

Best Answer

I’m now convinced that my Alta has decided that 75% battery = empty and will not work below 75%. So I need to recharge it every time I sit down so that it can record my steps. 25% is about 1 day so I can’t record my sleep while it charges either.

Best Answer

Yes mine just started doing this after not using for 6 months due to broken strap, bought new strap went to use it. Works fine when plugged in, will work when disconnected from charger if you keep tapping screen, but as soon as it goes to sleep (approx 3 secs) it will not turn back on unless you plug back in. Battery is fine, have reset multiple times with the three button press method. 

Its out of manufacturers warranty (but not statutory warranty.....)

Note that the response I receive will dictate if I stay with fitbit, or swap to another company, never to return. 

Best Answer

I also have a relatively new Fitbit Alta that goes dead after about 45% of the battery is used. It turns back on after charging, but this is not sufficient time for the device to be used consistently or effectively, and I’m never sure when it will die. I have reset multiple times. 

Best Answer
After weeks of dedicated and annoying asking, Fitbit finally replaced my defective device with a new one, which is actually working fine for the moment. Given my experience with Fitbit, if I ever buy another device, it won't be Fitbit. The other people who have posted their frustration with this device confirm that I was not alone and that Fitbit customer service has not taken care of them as a reputable company would have - warranty or not. The device must cost a couple of dollars to have made in China. Fitbit has shown that increasing customer dissatisfaction is an acceptable outcome for the company. It certainly is not for their customers.
Best Answer