Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Alta won't reset

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I have tried both in my phone & my computer. I press the button 3 times within eight seconds while briefly pausing like the directions say to but the screen does not show the Fitbit logo & it's still charging. How can I reset my Fitbit if this is not working?
Best Answer
97 REPLIES 97
SOLVED (for me)! I was having the same problem many of you reported--clicking the button on the charging cable 3 times did not reset my Alta. I tried 10 different times, disconnecting, reconnecting, using this USB charger, that USB charger, my computer USB port. Nothing. My Alta would vibrate each press and the battery icon changed from hatched to solid, but that's it. Then I found this forum. The original Fitbit response was "3 times within 8 seconds" and I thought "Hmmm. I was clicking three times within 2 or 3 seconds. Even 3 times within a 1 or 2 seconds. Maybe I'll slow it down." So I pushed the button for half second. Paused one second. Pushed the button for half a second, paused one second. And once more. This time it worked. This is contrary to what others found successful (3 times in 2 seconds). It could be dirty contacts on the back of the Fitbit, and the last attempt we all had success with just happened to make good contact. Check the little copper circles on the back of your Alta where it is in contact with your skin. Use a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and make sure there isn't a lot of goop in there. Then try again, varying your speed of "press/release," and trying it over and over. Good luck.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much for the advice.  I tried it within 8 seconds and my Alta HR wouldn't reset.  I tried it 3 times within 2 seconds and it did reset.  Thanks again

Best Answer

Press button 3 times quickly, don't pause between each as stated on the reset instructions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

My Alta battery ran out & when recharged it is showing the wrong date & time. 

I have tried to restart but it isn't working.  I'v  tried all the tips & nothing is working.

I get the vibration then logo but it still has the wrong date & time 

I've also not been able to sync to my phone for weeks....please help

Best Answer
0 Votes

Un-pair your Alta from your phone and turn off the Bluetooth on your phone. Then re-pair it with no other Bluetooth devices around.  I had to chat with customer support to do that, and it finally re-paired and showed the right time and date.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Joy,

I realize your post is old, but I just wanted to say thank you.  I too had tried to reset my Alta, per the instructions, and I just could not get it to work.  I followed your tip about pushing the button three times within about 2 seconds and shockingly, it worked! I saw the logo, but it did not restart.  I tried it a couple of times, then I went to the  iPhone app and went to setup device and I was able to get it reset and synced.  So I am up and running (no pun intended).  However, I have to say, FitBit support and anyone else who suggests the 8 sec, three button pushes is doing many of us an injustice.  I saw multiple discussions about how the FitBit instructions did not work.  I lost about two weeks of time because I honestly did not have the time to sit and fiddle with my Alta for hours.  FitBit support needs to correct this because honestly for the price we paid for the tracker, we should get a more reliable unit.  Thanks, again, Joy.

I absolutely agree.  The instructions are a waste of time and are very frustrating.  Why should we have to stand on our head and rub our belly to get the silly thing to work!!!  And, nothing frustrates me more than when you say you've followed the instructions, yet someone feels the need to tell you exactly what you just went through and didn't work!

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes
I wound up having to buy a whole new tracker because I was a couple of
months past the warranty date. So, if this happens beforehand, get it
traded in ASAP.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my alta yesterday, same problem.  Everyone is mentioning a button, I don't have one on my charger or fitbit.  I tried tapping the face of the fitbit 3 times rapidly but it just changes screens. It is updating on my phone but it should update on my fitbit too

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve done everything over and over with no luck

what do i need to do - and please dont copy and paste the stock answer as it is not working

Best Answer
0 Votes
Email Fitbit and support to let them know they just replaced mine

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

I logged onto the chat to try and reset it. Once mine was pronounced
really dead, I got a discount for getting a new one.

Best,

Be able to find your child's stuff (or yours!) in the lost and found box!

Moderator edit: Removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there guys, good to see you in the Fitbit Community Forums! 🙂

@pranaba, I'm glad to hear that the suggestions from Joy worked for you. Great to know you're now back on track! 😄

@otonoh, I'm sorry you're having problems restarting your Alta. Make sure that the button you're looking for is on the charging cable USB end and should look like the one in the picture on this post. Let me know if you need more help with this.

@LolaCara, thanks a lot for taking the time to try the suggestions. Now, just to be on the same page, I'd like to know what have you tried to restart your Alta. That way, I will know what else can be done. I'll be looking forward for your reply!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FerdinandFitbit

I’ve tried Bluetooth on and off

iphone on and off

deleting and reinstalling Fitbit app

Pressed the reset button about 200 times in various formats in terms of length and spacing 

Still cannot be found 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @LolaCara and thanks for all the details.

Now, make sure that you're restarting your Alta the following way:

Make sure you're doing this by clipping your tracker to the charger and plugging the charger to a USB port on your computer or a wall charger. Then, Press the button on your charging cable three times within four seconds and your tracker should vibrate and show the Fitbit logo. This will make your tracker to reboot.

Let me know if you're still having problems after doing this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve done this already but will try again when I get home from work

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for that @LolaCara. Let me know how it goes and if that doens't work, we can evaluate other options.

I'll be looking forward for your reply!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you! As soon as I cleaned the contact prongs on the back on my Alta, the 3 time press worked immediately. (It didn't even seem dirty, but it worked!)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine won’t reset either. It turns on when plugged in to the wall or computer, but not when I am wearing it 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks I finally got it to reset. Thanks thanks thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @SarahBlue @Thumperian, thanks for getting back and letting me know that it worked for you! 😄 If you need any more help, let me know. I'll be happy to help you out!

@Steporox, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work for you 😕 Now, I'd like to know how exactly did you try to restart your tracker. Please, make sure you've followed these instructions:

You can easily do this by clipping your tracker to the charger and plugging the charger to a USB port on your computer or a wall charger. Then, Press the button on your charging cable three times within four seconds and your tracker should vibrate and show the Fitbit logo. This will make your tracker to reboot.

Let me know how it goes!

Best Answer
0 Votes