Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Alta wont stay on, have to keep resetting

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is anyone else having issues with their Alta just randomly shutting down even when fully charged? Mine keeps shutting off and I have to keep restarting it and its frustrating because when I restart I lose all of the saved data. I havent gotten it wet (unless sweating counts and Im not a heavy sweater). I have also noticed that it doesnt always want to respond to the taps either so I can view the time or data. Im beginning to wonder if I shouldnt have gotten another model of the fitbit... 

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

Welcome to the forums!

Try a restart. Do it at least 3 times.

Restart
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186/?q=restart&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

If that doesn't help
Contact Support
http://help.fitbit.com/?cu=1

Hope to see you around the forums more!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@janeg76 So sorry to hear that your Alta turns off all of a sudden. I would like to follow up and would like to know if restarting your Alta a few times as my friend @WendyB suggested, helped you to get this issue fixed. If not, let me know.

Looking forward to your response my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes
So far the resetting has worked at keeping it on however my display is dimmer than usual and I have to really thump on it to get it to show the display. It is also hit and miss ( more miss than anything) with the clock display lighting up with a wrist tilt.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@janeg76 Thanks for getting back! Please try cleaning the contacts of your tracker and charging cable with a cotton swab and a little bit of alcohol. After this, restart your tracker again 3 consecutive times and test your tracker's display for the next 24 hours.

Let me know how it goes my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Already been done. I've been in touch with Fitbit's technical support and they have also helped troubleshoot. They are sending a new Fitbit replacement as they have come to the conclusion it's a faulty Fitbit.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@janeg76 It's great to see you aboard in our Fitbit Community! I'm so glad to hear that our Support team sent you a replacement unit. Thanks for keeping me updated.

I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

Hope to see you in the Community more often my friends! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issues,hopefully there is a solution to this issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lkwan thank you for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! Since your Fitbit Alta doesn't stay on either, I would like to know if your Alta stays charged and turned on when it's on the charger?

In the meantime, please let me know if you have restarted your Alta as described in this help article.

Looking forward to your response! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue. I have had my Fitbit for two years and this is my second one. Are they meant to be replaced after a period of time? 

Best Answer

I’m having the same problem with my Alta. Just started yesterday, randomly turned off after I turned off the alarm I had set on it. I plugged it in to charge and it worked on the charger, but as soon as I took it off (with a full charge) the screen went blank and I couldn’t get anything to come up on it. I plugged it into the charger a few different times and each time the screen worked when it was plugged in, but still can’t get anything on the screen when it’s off the charger. I’ve also had mine for about 2 years. I’ll try resetting as was suggested in an earlier comment.

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same, third morning now the alarm goes off and then the Alta hr is dead.. I’ve reset it each morning and it’s eventually come back on but it’s a pain resetting it each morning. I’ve had it nearly a year and a half, is that the time they last for? Did you get yours resolved?

Best Answer

I am having the very same issues listed above.  It just started recently.  I have to keep restarting and its a royal pain.  I noticed I can keep it on all day without an issue.  However, the minute I take it off to shower etc and put back on that it has shut down!  This is very frustrating,   It should not be worn out after only two years.  And Fitbit's answer to me was - we will send you a coupon for 25% off a new one!  Nice ----- NOT !   I don't want a new one.  I would like for this to work the way it should be.  Are they meant to be disposable????   *sigh*

Best Answer

I ended up buying another Fitbit and got the charge 3 as it drove me insane.. I’ve got a warranty on this one now as don’t trust it won’t happen again! Could’ve done with the 25% off though at least! 

Best Answer
😞  I hear you !  I cleaned the contacts like someone suggested.  It doesn't even stay on for 12 hours; full battery, but shuts down.
Best Answer

Same issue my Fitbit requires daily to three times rebooting. I called but because warranty had expired they will not send a replacement for this defect. I loved the Fitbit when it worked well, but given the customer service I am hesitant to invest in a company that cannot stand behind its product. I think I am done. Any suggestions on competitive product that is worth the investment? 

Best Answer

I’m having the same issue. I have reset 3 times but no luck. Any other suggestions please? Battery fully charged & sincd today at lunchtime. No steps being recorded when I look at the app. Fitbit just won’t turn on. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Same. HIGHLY annoying. I have tried all the fixes and still it randomly shuts off, disconnects and stops counting my steps (basically the only thing i want.)  

Best Answer

I’ve been having the same issue with my Alta HR the last week or so. It dies on me part way through the day even when fully charged and won’t record steps etc. I have to reset it several times a day. I’ve had it about 18 months. Do they stop working after about 18 months/2 years? 

Best Answer

mine does the same. Its 4 yrs old. Maybe I need another one. It has no moving parts but what is the life of a Fitbit Alta? If you buy another one does this mean you have to start from zero again?    john. south aus.

Best Answer