Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the Alta recognise an Elliptical workout?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will the Alta recognise an Elliptical workout? My Flex doesn't. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes, it will recognize an elliptical workout.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
53 REPLIES 53

Yes, it will recognize an elliptical workout.

Best Answer
Anyone else having problems with the Alta not registering on the elliptical? It only counts steps if my hands are swinging, and not when they are on the handles. This is ridiculous. Its unsafe to not hold the bars. It's ridiculous that an activity tracker can't track activity. Thinking of returning this Alta. Anyone else having the same problem?
Best Answer

@Mssandy033 Alta can use SmartTrack to recognize your elliptical workout - however, that likely requires you to use the type of elliptical machine that involves moving bars for your hands. If your hands are stationary on a bar, there is no way for your device to know that you are working out on an elliptical machine.

In that case, since you are neither moving or taking actual steps, I wouldn't expect the count to be reflective of your activity. It would probably be better to log that activity manually, which will give you a more accurate caloric credit for the activity.

Best Answer
My elliptical has moving bars yet Smart track cannot pick up on the steps. Please work on fixing this issue as soon as possible. Not being able to register my activity on the elliptical defeats the purpose of wearing a tracker.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@Mssandy033 wrote:
My elliptical has moving bars yet Smart track cannot pick up on the steps. Please work on fixing this issue as soon as possible. Not being able to register my activity on the elliptical defeats the purpose of wearing a tracker.

Sent from my iPhone

Hi @Mssandy033 - it you are in the default settings for smart tracking you need be using your elliptical for at least 15 minutes (you can change this to as low as 10 minutes).  Might try 20 just to make sure the activity registers.  Depending on your movement, you may or may not register "steps" while on the elliptical.  Since you are not really stepping, the tracker may not register the movement as steps.  Similar issue with bike riding.  

I hope it works out for you.  Let us know.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
I worked out at medium pace on the elliptical today for 40 minutes. My elliptical has moving bars yet my Fitbit Alta didn't register the steps nor calories. What a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I'm having the same issue. Worked out on the elliptical for 20 min (with my hands on the moving handles the whole time) and saw no steps or active minutes on my Alta. Tracking elliptical activity was a huge selling point of the Alta for me and I will be returning the device if this issue can't be fixed.
Best Answer

I am having the same issue with my Alta.  I worked out at a medium pace with moving bars for 25 minutes and nothing logged for activity.

Best Answer
I complained to a Fitbit rep about this issue and she said several people have complained and she said they are working on an solution. I hope she wasn't just blowing smoke.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I hope so too! It's very disappointing.

My boyfriend suggested I wear the device on my ankle....more likely I'll end up returning the Alta and going back to using my iPhone. Too bad because otherwise I like the device.
Best Answer
I have worked out a few times on my elliptical and the workout has not been recognized. I have synced multiple times and waited for over an hour for it to track but nothing. I have it set to record anu thing over 10 min. Is there somethung else I need to do to get it to recognize?
Best Answer
I have the same problem. Unfortunately, the only way I can get it to recognize my elliptical workout is to swing my arms, instead of having my hands on the bars. Problem is, it's not very safe, I've lost my balance many times.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I experience the same on the eliptical - the eliiptcal says 4600 and Alta says 3000 or less. I don't use the arms on it so I hold the handles - this is very disappointing

Best Answer

Yes!  I can't get my ellptical workouts to register.  This is very frustrating since on days I can't walk I do about an hour on the machine.  I hate that it does not register.  It always worked with my old fitbit one. 

Best Answer
No issues using the elliptical and with moving bars. Mine has shown up each time. I have noticed you need to be at a certain speed or above for the Alta to registers workout, this includes walking . I have found 3.5 mph or above to be the number on mine. On my warmup on treadmill or elliptical it won't register the time until I hit the higher speed. Once I hit that or above I get credit. It also takes about 10 or 15 minutes after the end for it to show in app
Best Answer
0 Votes

My alta does not recognize my elliptical workout. I have moving handles. Hand were on them at all times.

Best Answer

Apparently not. But according to the specs it should. Alta.jpg

Best Answer

I was bummed too when I realized it didn't track my elliptical workout tonight!

Best Answer
I just take it off my wrist and stash it in my bra on clip it onto my show or pants - then it will track.

Janis

Sent from my ipad
Best Answer