Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't turn on

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I was at the gym walking on the treadmill when I was on the Fitbit app and I decided to change the clock face. Ever since then the app just says looking and I've plugged it in and tried everything I possibly can but it will not turn on
Best Answer
264 REPLIES 264

A warm welcome to the Community @Alicia22! That's weird! First, please restart your tracker by following this instructions step by step:

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any USB power adapter.

2. Insert the other end of the cable into the port on the back of your Fitbit Alta. Your Alta will begin charging.

3. Press the button on your charging cable three times within eight seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. 

4. Eight seconds after the first button press, you'll see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This means Alta is restarting.

5. After you see the logo you can unplug your tracker from the charging cable.

After that, please make sure of charging it fully

Let me know how it goes! Woman Wink

Moderator edit: link update

Retired ModeratorCindy | Community Moderator

Was this what you were looking for? Vote for it and mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

Hi Ive tried restarting my Alta and the logo comes up the v.21.35..08 .. nothing happens after this?? help

Best Answer

Hey @Starky welcome to the Community! Have you checked my post above? It's important to check my recommendations about charging your tracker and do that properly. If the issue persists, I recommend getting it touch with support if you have not contacted them yet. 

Keep me posted! Woman Wink

Was this what you were looking for? Vote for it and mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer
Have also tried this, shows nearly full battery but as soon as you disconnect lead there is nothing. How do I get help?
Best Answer

The little button on the usb ..pressed this 3 times .. had to do it s few times and it woke up. however mine was faulty as the face showed the clock, steps etc.. and I could flick through each screen on it but didnt work at all when not charging. 

Sent it back and got replacement which again I had to press the button on the usb cable 3 times (again took a few attempts) and it woke up nd working fine. 

Hope this helps

Best Answer

Hey @bigbluehouse that's bad, have you tried my recommendations above? If not, please try them, if that does not fix the issue please contact support if you have not done so yet. 

@Starky I'm glad to hear that you are back on track now. Enjoy your new Alta and keep the stepping up!

See you! 

Best Answer
Thanks for info. I woke up this morning and nothing displayed on my fitbit. This worked great! Thank you!
Best Answer

That's great to hear @Debhase1! Enjoy your Alta and keep the stepping up!

Have you checked our Discussions board? There you can share your story, find some fitness tips, recipes and more! Give it a look!  

Welcome to the Community, see you around! Woman Wink

Best Answer

Hi,  I have read the forums trying to find an answer....my alta is incorrect with my sleep.  I go to bed at 9 pm and it says I was in bed at 1:45am....It consistently breaks up my sleep like I left the bed and was up for hours....I have not moved.  I have reset, charged and done what I read, to no avail.  I cannot return it, since it has been a month that I have it.  It was fine, This started recently.  Thanks

Best Answer

Hey hey @cwbass thanks for joining us! Autodetection is based on your movement. When you haven’t moved in over an hour, algorithms assume that sleep has begun, which is confirmed by the length of time your movements are indicative of sleep behavior only (rolling over, etc). Morning movement tells your tracker that you’re awake. If you’re not moving but not asleep for long periods of time it’s possible for your tracker to falsely record sleep, in which case you can delete the sleep record from your dashboard.

To edit or delete a sleep log, you should follow these steps:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the sleep tile. This is the tile that says "How did you sleep?" or, if you tracked sleep the night before, shows how many hours and minutes you slept.
  2. On the right side, find and open the sleep log you want to edit.
  3. In the top right corner, tap or click the crayon icon to adjust the time you went to sleep or the time you woke up. Don't forget to save.

Best Answer
thank you so much! i just posted about this issue and i'm so happy to have found your reply! my alta had low battery but the display made it seem like it was full. i'll make sure to charge it fully from now on!
Best Answer
0 Votes

You are welcome! It's always great to help! 

Have you checked our Discussions board? There you can share your story, find some fitness tips, recipes and more! Give it a look!  

See you! Woman Wink

Best Answer

I can not for the life of my see these little buttons to press to restart my Alta. They are on the little charging cable, right? And not on the actual Alta device. I can not find them anywhere!!

Best Answer

Yes @SunsetRunner the button is on the charger, please see the image below for reference. You can find the full steps to restart your tracker on one of my posts above

Alta Restart Button.jpg

Let me know if you have any other question! Woman Wink

Best Answer

After a long weekend out of state my Alta Fitbit died.  I attempted to restart it using the steps I saw here but I'm not getting the Fitbit logo to appear.  All I see is small broken lines at the "bottom" of the battery.  I'm going to let it sit for a bit on the charger to see if it works.  I'll be very disappointed if this does not work.  It was already plugged in for a couple hours with no success.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey hey @czoglmann that's bad to hear! If you have tried to perform a restart without success, I recommend getting in touch with support so they can investigate and evaluate your case! 

Best Answer
I gave up and exchanged mine for a Charge HR, and I love it. No problem setting it up or syncing to the app. I haven't been disappointed

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @Carmen3208 I'm glad to hear that your received a new Charge HR and you are enjoying it, keep the stepping up! 

Best Answer

Hello Cindy,

I have tried your recommendation below, a couple of time, and I am still not getting reminder to move, and no vibration.. I have contacted support center, but haven't heard back. Hope I do not have to return the alta 😞

Thank you

Best Answer