Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR Display

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Please comment on your personal experience with display visibility outdoors.
I haven't seen this topic discussed on the Board as of yet, and I consider this a very important element of any fitness tracker.
I purchased the Alta in April of 2016. I had owned the Charge but wanted a more slim profile; something I could wear on a daily basis which wouldn't be so bulky. I was thrilled to be using my new tracker until... I, along with several other Alta users, realized that the display was very difficult to read in sunlight.
There was a Board dedicated to this issue and, although there were no promises, there were indications that Fitbit would be looking at the issue.
Fast forward to the announcement of the new Alta HR release. I so badly wanted to hear that this old issue had been resolved on the new Alta HR. With so many complaints about the difficulty in reading the display outside on the original Alta, I actually anticipated that, no doubt, it had been addressed. Wrong.
I spoke to 2 different reps by phone as well as writing a lengthy email inquiring about this "hoped for" improvement only to be sorely disappointed to learn that the issue had not been addressed.
How can such an essential element of a fitness tracker be, seemingly, ignored? I'm still puzzled by Fitbit's lack of interest in correcting this important feature flaw.
I understand that many people exercise indoors, which would negate the problem of visibility in sunlight, but outdoor activity also enjoys a large number of participants.
What has been your experience with the new Alta HR?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
139 REPLIES 139

Has anyone been able to see/use/test this new Alta? Can you actually see the screen in bright sunlight?

Best Answer

Well it hasn't even be shipped yet so cant answer your question

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi, @dianewordsmith, the basic specifications, size and technology are likely to be very similar between the Alta and the Alta HR.  The main difference between the Alta and the Alta HR is the heartrate function and the clasp (this is similar to the differences between the earlier generation Charge and Charge HR -- they were almost identical except for the clasp and the HR function).

The new Alta HR uses the same OLED screen display as the current Alta and is therefore likely to be similarly visible under sunny conditions.  If I were betting, I would say, Don't expect any difference in the screen technology, interaction, visibility, etc (or much else).

But, as @WendyB says, no one outside Fitbit has got the new Alta HR yet to confirm,

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Good point there is no mention of been able to see it in daylight or increased read ability so I suspect its just the same as the standard Alta . Typical no answer from fit bit who don't acknowledge the problem .

Best Answer

@Briant566 The Alta is dimmer than the Charge 2 for sure. But is it a "problem"? Well anything could be better, and yes it is hard to see in the brightest of outdoor light (while IMHO working great indoors and at night) but everything exists for a reason... a dimmer screen may help save battery life and lower cost on a device which is much smaller than a Charge 2 and costs less to the consumer (at least until the HR got added.) I'm sure as technology improves and costs continue to fall for Fitbit you'll someday see an "Alta 2" or whatever that has a brighter screen, ability to track stairs etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is definitely a problem. The Alta functions as a watch. Not being able to view it outside is a big problem. 

Best Answer

Very disappointed in the Alta HR, brightness on display is very low.  Hard or cannot read at all when you are outdoors.  Had a Charge 2 before this and it was much better.  Any help???

Best Answer

Unfortunately no way to increase the brightness. 

Best Answer

There have been a few suggestions that for outdoor use it needs a brighter screen. I tend to agree as I have trouble reading it outside. Others find the display too bright for night time, so maybe  adjustable brightness would be the answer. Put the suggestion in Feature Suggestions and it is far more likely to be seen by the developers

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Because of the display issues (I use my FitBit almost 100 percent outdoors), I'm starting to look at other brands. It breaks my heart, because I love FitBit. But when I'm outdoors (I live in sunny Colorado), to have a chance at reading the display, I have to find BIG SHADE. That just gives me a chance, no a guarantee. I've even resorted to trying to have it update my phone so I can read it on my phone. Even that is iffy as it doesn't always update.

PLEASE give this issue attention. You're losing fan base. 

The complaint about it being too bright at night, I feel, is moot since the display is normally off and only on when you want to see it.

Best Answer

I am currently experiencing this issue...working with a tech to resolve (if possible)

Best Answer

I think the too bright at night problems could be solved if they had a setting for a "Do Not Disturb" time you could set so the screen didn't accidentally turn on when you move around while sleeping. I know you can turn off the Quick View Settings but it would be nice to not have to do that nightly then turn back on each morning. 

The screen brightness adjustment setting along with the Do Not Disturb mode would be perfect imo. 

Best Answer

I've had my Alta for 3 days and I agree, the display is appalling outdoors, especially after using a Charge HR for the last year. I'm really disappointed !

Best Answer

I agree. I love my Alta, but I really dislike that I can't see it outside. It's really difficult to see anything, even in the shade. That's one thing I'd love to see changed!

Best Answer

@SometimesLucy @WisdomSeeker @lazygirl60 @Breezygirl8 @PMPMPG and anyone else who has this issue!

I have posted a suggestion in Feature Suggestions for increased brightness on the Alta HR screen. Please go and vote for it as the more votes it gets the more likely it is to be implimented

Increase Alta HR Display brightness

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Great suggestion and voted for it. 👍

Best Answer

Thanks so much for leading the way on this, Nelly:exclamation_mark:️ As they say, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil."

LET'S SQUEAK:exclamation_mark:️

Best Answer

@WisdomSeeker wrote:

Thanks so much for leading the way on this, Nelly:exclamation_mark:️ As they say, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil."

LET'S SQUEAK:exclamation_mark:️

Haha I so agree!

Community Council Member

Best Answer

I have had an Alta for over a year and had no problems seeing the screen outside, even with polarized sunglasses on.  I was so excited about the heart rate tracking of the Alta HR that I purchased one Friday.  Much to my dismay, the screen is harder to see than the original and nearly impossible to read with polarized sunglasses.  Unfortunately this is a showstopper for me so I'll be returning the HR.  😞

Best Answer