Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR and Measuring My Heart Rate

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got an Alta HR with heart rate measuring. Some of the fitness equipment at my community center also measures heart rate. I got the Alta HR to check up on those measurements' accuracy. But when I tried that yesterday, I found that the Alta HR consistently registers a significantly lower heart rate than the various pieces of fitness equipment, which are made by Precor. The Precor measurements themselves are consistent from one machine to the next, When they are showing, say, 120 bpm, the Alta HR may be showing something like 110 bpm. As my heart rate goes up with further exercise, the difference between the fitness machines' measurements and the Alta HR's widens. The thing is, I have long been diagnosed with premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), which apparently are happening all the time, but at changing rates. My question is: Could the Precor machines and the Alta HR be responding to PVCs differently, and would that account for the discrepancy? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I submitted my question to Precor Support, and here is the extremely helpful information I received back:

Eric, here is some info from our engineering group regarding Precor equipment and PVC's:

"In general, PVC’s will be filtered out by the algorithm and won’t affect the heart rate.
If two PVC’s happen within 250msec, they’ll be ignored.
If the occurrence of PVC’s is less than once for about every 5 normal heart beats, the HR reading
won’t be affected at all. It will read normally, as if no PVC was present.

If there are many PVC’s, on the order of more than once per 5 normal beats, the HR system won’t
provide a reading at all.

Since this customer is getting a reading with our equipment, we suspect it’s more likely the Fitbit is reporting low."

Hopefully this information is helpful.

Thank you,
Mark
Precor Support

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

They use differently technology. So you really cant compare the two.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Thanks. I happened to have a doctor's appointment yesterday, and as usual the nurse took my pulse reading. It was 84, based on 28 beats in 20 sec. My Alta HR said 86, so it is basically spot on. I did not ask the doctor about the possible effect of PVCs, as this was not my cardiologist and we had other things to discuss. But given that the Precor technology reads significantly higher than the Fitbit does for me, and the Fitbit seems to be right, I am hypothesizing that the Precor may be picking up my premature ventricular contractions and counting them as "extra" heartbeats. I have posed this question to the Precor website and will post back here with their answer. Unfortunately, if my hypothesis is correct, then I'm not achieving as high a "true" pulse rate when I do cardio exercise as I had thought ...

Best Answer

I've found that the Alta HR measures resting heart rate pretty well but struggles with activity HR.  To get it to record it accurately you really do have to play around with where and how tight you wear it.  I've found if you shift it up your arm a bit - say an inch - and wear it tight but not uncomfortably so, (but so it doesn't move around) it's more accurate.  The Charge 2 is a little less fussy partly because it's larger and doesn't tend to shift around quite so much. Wrist based optical HR is never as reliable as a chest strap though, whichever brand you use. 

If HR whilst exercising is really important - more so than resting HR - then to be honest, a garmin device might be better. But, note that Garmin devices don't record non activity HR as often - could be every 10 mins or so, rather than every minute of so that Fitbit records. Apple also only records every 10 mins. 

=======================================

Progressed through Fitbit One, Flex, Charge, Alta, Alta HR, Charge 2, Blaze, Flex 2 and now Ionic.

Best Answer

Thanks for the input. In what way can you tell if the Alta HR is struggling while measuring heart rate during activity?

I will check into devices with chest straps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @melaniewymer @epstewart. Good to see you in the Community Forums! 🙂

In order to get the most accurate data from your Alta HR, I can recommend a few things:

As with all heart-rate tracking technology, whether a chest strap or a wrist-based sensor, accuracy is affected by personal physiology, location of wear, and type of movement.

For all-day wear when you’re not exercising, your tracker should usually rest a finger’s width below your wrist bone and lay flat, just as you would wear a watch. Fitbit’s PurePulse heart rate tracking system is designed to be most accurate when the tracker is worn on the top of your wrist.
User-added image
For improved heart rate accuracy keep these tips in mind:

1. Experiment with wearing the tracker higher on your wrist during exercise. Because blood flow in your arm increases the farther up you go, moving the tracker up a couple inches can improve the heart rate signal. Also, many exercises such as push-ups cause you to bend your wrist frequently, which is more likely to interfere with the heart rate signal if the tracker is lower on your wrist.
    User-added image
  2. Do not wear your tracker too tight; a tight band restricts blood flow, potentially affecting the heart rate signal. That being said, the tracker should also be slightly tighter (snug but not constricting) during exercise than during all-day wear.
  3. With high-intensity interval training, P90X, boxing, or other activities where your wrist is moving vigorously and non-rhythmically, the movement may prevent the sensor from finding an accurate heart rate. Similarly, with exercises such as weight lifting or rowing, your wrist muscles may flex in such a way that the band tightens and loosens during exercise. Try relaxing your wrist and staying still briefly (about 10 seconds), after which you should see an accurate heart rate reading. Note that your tracker will still provide accurate calorie burn readings during these types of exercise by analyzing your heart rate trends over the course of the workout.

Keep that in mind when using your tracker for exercising and see if you notice any improvement.

Let us know how it goes!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

That stuff is good to know. Thanks.

I get it that getting an accurate heart rate while exercising is key. But if the Alta HR is in fac showing a heart rate at any particular time, is there any way to know that it's less accurate than at other times? So far, I think mine has been consistently accurate while I'm exercising, but the Precor equipment I use, while also consistent, seems to read (again, consistently) higher than the Alta HR.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@epstewart I run regularly and roughly know what my HR should be for a
certain level of effort, plus when I’ve been testing the new fitbit I’ve
worn an apple watch and a garmin 730 (both have optical HR too). When HR
is out, it’s out by a long way - for example when I run my cadence is
around 175 - quite often if a HR device is struggling to work out the HR it
picks up the cadence instead - plus I’d be really pushing it if my HR is
continually 175 - normally for an easy run its around 129 so a substantial
difference. When I’m walking its about 85-95 so if I see 130 etc I know
that’s wrong too. Basically the HR is just locking on to the wrong ting.
When they’re all working correctly they are normally within around 5 beats
of each other.

Chest straps are great but probably won’t work for resting HR, just
activity HR.

--
Melanie Wymer
07795 183728

Progressed through Fitbit One, Flex, Charge, Alta, Alta HR, Charge 2, Blaze, Flex 2 and now Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Melanie, does repositioning the Fitbit or changing its tightness give you the correct HR?

Best Answer
0 Votes
@epstewart It depends really. I find resting HR is absolutely fine not
particularly tight and near the wristbone, however for activities I find I
have to at least tighten it up and if that doesn't improve the accuracy
then shift it up by a little bit. Sometimes, I put it above my watch on my
other hand so it can't slip down - reads best there. It's trial and error
really. It seems to be harder to get a good reading in very cold weather.
I think the Alta struggles more than most because in order to get a good
reading I think it helps to stop light getting in around the sensor. The
Alta is so small with no overhang so I think this is hard, hence why
tightening helps a little. It's never going to be as good as a HR chest
strap but it's a darn bit more comfortable. I'm most interested in the
resting hr so for me this works a treat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I submitted my question to Precor Support, and here is the extremely helpful information I received back:

Eric, here is some info from our engineering group regarding Precor equipment and PVC's:

"In general, PVC’s will be filtered out by the algorithm and won’t affect the heart rate.
If two PVC’s happen within 250msec, they’ll be ignored.
If the occurrence of PVC’s is less than once for about every 5 normal heart beats, the HR reading
won’t be affected at all. It will read normally, as if no PVC was present.

If there are many PVC’s, on the order of more than once per 5 normal beats, the HR system won’t
provide a reading at all.

Since this customer is getting a reading with our equipment, we suspect it’s more likely the Fitbit is reporting low."

Hopefully this information is helpful.

Thank you,
Mark
Precor Support

Best Answer

Thank you so much for sharing this with us @epstewart!

Great to see you around!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use a precor elliptical machine several times a week. My fitbit alta is WAY lower than what the elliptical shows. The discrepancy is significantly worse toward the beginning of a workout, then slowly gets closer but is still something like 10-20 points lower than the elliptical at the end of a 25 minute or so workout. 

Having used the alta HR for about 4 months now I think it is very slow to read when your heart rate starts to increase on a machine. It works best if I go for a run. I feel like to get it to show anything near an accurate heart rate on the elliptical I have to "shock it" by jogging for 5 minutes. Once my heart rate is up it will read better on the elliptical. Very frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes