Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracks sleep when i'm not wearing it

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I wear my Fitbit to bed but it's not always on my hand during the day.

Several times it had started to track my sleep when it was on my desk and not on my hand.

It sometimes adds randome naps when it's actually just sitting somewhere in my room or in my backpack.

Is anyone ells experiencing sleep patterns when they aren't wearing the Fitbit.

Thanks

Best Answer
41 REPLIES 41

Hi @Avibavi. is the Alta HR your first tracker? If not, check to be sure your old one has been forgotten from your account, there have been reports of the sleep tracking crossing over when there are multiple trackers on your account.  "On your desk" makes the primary tracker inactive so your App goes looking...

Check by going to https://www.fitbit.com/ and hovering over the gray gear in the upper right corner, all your fitbit devices connected are listed, active or not. Any you want to forget, click and click the "remove this ... from your account"; otherwise keep it attached in case you might wear it again and just modify the sleep log by hovering over the sleep tile on your dashboard, clicking "see more" option in lower right, click on the "weird" segment and edit the sleep manually (to the right).

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer

My Fitbit Alta HR is also recording sleep when I'm not wearing it.  I've had it for two weeks and wore it to bed each night where it tracked my sleep.  Yesterday, I took it off at noon and didn't put it back on until this morning.  It was sitting on the counter (not charging) most of yesterday and all night.  Yet, it showed a sleep pattern for last night of 5 hr 54 min, with 19% of that in deep sleep.  It also said I woke up around 3 am.  The sleep pattern for last night is suspiciously like what my other night's patterns were, right down to the usual 3 am wake up.  The BPM history shows no activity so that data wasn't faked.  I don't have any confidence in the data the Fitbit is tracking now if it shows a sleep pattern that supposedly is based on  heart rate, yet there was no heart rate recorded.  Are we all getting scammed by this new fancy watch?   

Best Answer

Do you have any other logging Apps connected that could be "feeding" your fitbit dashboard external data? You might try switching them off one at a time to see if the sneaky sleep detail goes away.

Some external Apps you may have loaded - link - you can turn their syncs off in your mobiles preferences.

I know it is frustration speaking, with millions using the product without the issue you are describing, scam is a bit harsh - love my fitbit, we'll help you figure this out - lol.

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer

I see the same thing, and I've never had any other tracker so it's not an issue of multiple devices interfering. If I take the tracker off it will show sleep (unless it's plugged in and charging). Seems pretty stupid to me, the fact that it's not getting a HR reading should be a good indication that it's not being worn. 

Best Answer

This happened to me last night. Took off my Alta HR to shower, left it off overnight. Checked it this morning and it showed 8hrs 12 min of sleep with a sleep pattern. I have no other apps associated with Fitbit, and no other devices on my account. I'm now concerned about the accuracy of this device, should I believe what it is 'tracking.'

Best Answer

My guess is that your Fitbits are automatically going into Sleep Mode.  This used to happen on my Flex 1 all the time.  If you go a certain period of time without movement, the Fitbit automatically assumes that you are asleep and will automatically go into Sleep Mode.  I believe there is a way to edit your sleep logs on your apps, which can be found here.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

It's weird.. I also have an issue with the elliptical. I can do a 30 minute workout on an elliptical and the fitbit says I went on a 20 minute walk.

I'm not sure how reliable this is...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can understand that that Alta HR goes into sleep mode when it isn't being worn. But to 'track' a sleep pattern of light & REM sleep without receiving a heart beat or registering a movement is odd and makes me wonder if other tracking reports are accurate. 

Best Answer

The Alta HR is my first fitbit...

Last night it did the same thing and added 2 hours to my sleep pattern when I wasn't wearing it..

it's very weirdnthat ut can add information and sleep patterns when it's not receiving a heart rate reading.

i'm really not sure how much you can relay on it

Best Answer

Same here. My Alta HR is my first and only activity tracker. Took it off last night, for the first time, and was surprised to see a sleep log this morning. Sleep stages and everything. Will delete the log for last night, but can no longer take this info seriously. 

Best Answer

Tracker did it again... Wasn't wearing it and it was still getting a heart rate for hours. I even put it to charge to make it stop but when I put it on to go to sleep it registered my sleep with an extra 3 hours from before I out it on..

Is this tracker worth the money? I had high hopes for the Alta HR but it's hard for me to call it a reliable tracker.

Best Answer

Greetings everyone!

@Avibavi @Jill3 @Jigzmom

If you haven't already I suggest restarting your Alta HR trackers:

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display. Your Alta HR will begin charging
  3. Press the button on your charging cable three times within four seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. When you see the Fitbit logo and the tracker vibrates, this means the tracker has restarted.
  4. Unplug your tracker from the charging cable.

Also, I suggest changing your Heart Rate settings to Auto. Monitor your sleep the following nights and keep me posted with the outcome! 

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

Turn the heart rate monitor off when you are not wearing the fitbit.

Best Answer

I had the same with my Charge 2 today. I took it off for an hour while at an appointment and it recorded that time as a nap. No stage information though, it said it needed at least three hours of data for that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TriciaLD Thanks for taking the time to visit the Community and share what worked for you! This is what the Community is all about, sharing knowledge and best practices! Keep it up. Smiley Happy Heart

A warm welcome to our new friend @Tratcher! Out of curiosity, did you make sure that your Heart Rate settings are set to Auto? I see you have mentioned that your tracker registered a nap, in which case you can delete that sleep log from your history. Good luck!

Also, as a friendly reminder if you have a Charge 2 inquiry, please make sure you post this in the Charge 2 board as you'll find more relevant info related to your tracker there. This also helps us to keep the Community organized for everyone. Smiley Very Happy Thanks for your understanding and cooperation! 

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tratcher it's lovely to hear back from you! Thanks a million for your understanding and thorough description in the other post. I've gone ahead and replied to your post in the link provided. 

Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

If this is the case how is it getting different levels of sleep?

Best Answer

@Fitnessmac welcome aboard, it's nice to see new faces around! Are you getting Sleep Stages? If possible please post back with a screenshot of what you're describing. That will definitely give me a better pic of the situation. 

I'll be looking forward to your new comments! Cat Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes