Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheelchair Users Setting

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Do any of the Fitbits track wheelchair users movement?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I am also a paraplegic and use a manual wheelchair.  I also walk with braces and crutches sometimes.  I got an Alta one year ago and I love it.  I have compared my push rate to my able bodied sister's step rate and they are very comparable.  Most of the time I am just "competing" against myself.  Although I have done some weekly challenges with my 20-something nieces and nephews (I'm in my late 40's) and have blown them out of the water...VERY satisfying!  I don't think my calorie count is accurate but I really don't care about that.  

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
24 REPLIES 24

Yes they will track the movements, but will count as steps. I dont think there is a wheelchair setting as such. Interesting question I hadnt thought about (quite obvious I am not in a wheelchair or I would have). I think if you had a tracker you could set it up reasonably accurately. You would need to set you stride length to the ground covered in one good push of the wheels. I think the calorie count wouldn't be accurate, though with the Alta HR it uses the Heart Rate to work out calories burnt, so it should be a reasonable estimate.

Come back with any more questions - I'll mull the idea over in my mind in the mean time and let you know if I have any more useful thoughts.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Hi, just received my first fitbit, a flex 2, so still busy figuring it and the App out.  As this was the most recent post I could find about wheelchair users I'm hoping some additional threads could be suggested? It would be great to know how best to set/configure my fitbit to give me value.  Just FYI: I'm a paraplegic with full use of my arms and pushing a manual chair (i.e. not motorised).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BrianGray This is the only thread I recal seeing on wheelchair users.

Maybe @WheeledWarrior will respond with how they are going.

Please do keep us updated on how you go - I think it is an important topic. The flex 2 doesnt have a heart rate monitor so the calorie counts you get will not be accurate as they will be based on population averages for walking, but I would be very interested in the step count data etc and your thoughts on it. Do you swim? The flex 2 should track that for you, though again the calorie counts will be off as I think you would be expending far more energy than someone using their legs too.

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Hi @NellyG thanks for the feedback.  I've decided to use the flex 2 in it's default mode although I have set the primary goal as distance, not steps.

I was also thinking of trying the swim (I do on occasion swim at least).  I would think the expenditure would actually be less in my case as the major muscle groups (legs) are not contributing, but we'll see.

I also want to try calibrate my pushes with actual steps to get more accurate goals for me.  Will let you know how it goes.

Happy New Year!

Best Answer
0 Votes

How about choosing a device with GPS capability like the Charge 2. It could accurately track your distance. You can call Fitbit to check if this would work for you. The only downsides is you can't swim with this one like you can with the flex 2 and it is bigger and more fragile because it has a screen. 

Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for the suggestion.  I did quite like the swim capability of the flex 2, but I'll think about it 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also a paraplegic and use a manual wheelchair.  I also walk with braces and crutches sometimes.  I got an Alta one year ago and I love it.  I have compared my push rate to my able bodied sister's step rate and they are very comparable.  Most of the time I am just "competing" against myself.  Although I have done some weekly challenges with my 20-something nieces and nephews (I'm in my late 40's) and have blown them out of the water...VERY satisfying!  I don't think my calorie count is accurate but I really don't care about that.  

Best Answer
Good for you for challenging yourself. Keep it up!
Best Answer

Hi I am a parapalegic as well so I was happy to hear you have a fitbit that works for you as I am currently looking. How do you calculate your push rate? Also how are you able to make a comparison between it and your sister's step count?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have actually compared my step count not only to my able bodied sister, but to my able bodied husband as well.  My sister and I went shopping together - I pushed, she walked.  We checked our step count when we got out of the car and then again after a few hours and we were within 75 steps of each other, which made sense since we had basically stayed together the entire time.  I also compared myself against my husband.  Our home is set up in such a way that we can make a circle through the family room/kitchen/dining room.  We created a starting point on the circle, noted our step count, and my pushes were identical to his steps almost every time.  Generally, it seems like one of my "normal" pushes is about 2 steps.  Of course, our day is made up of not only those "normal" pushes but also hard pushing and half pushes.  And when my husband and I compare step counts after doing domestic chores/"stuff" around the house, he always ends up with more steps than me.  I try not to get hung up on a few steps that my half pushes may miss.  When I am in a fitbit challenge with an able bodied person I figure that I might be getting more exercise than my step count reflects.  And I try to use that as a motivation and not a frustration.  

Bottom line:  I am certain that I am getting more activity in my day since my fitbit purchase.  I have a measurable reminder to be active right on my wrist.  I love it!  I have started to take more circuitous routes and park farther away (NOT in the handicapped spot - GASP!) to get more steps.  I like seeing that I am hitting my activity goals.  I figure that all these positives outweigh a few missed steps. 

Good luck with your purchase!  Hit me up if you buy one and want to be my fitbit friend!! 

Best Answer

Am I being picky, I use a manual wheelchair too and I want my Fitbit to actually acknowledge this.  Apple now has pretty amazing new software for their smart watches that is designed specifically for wheelchair users.  They've had it for a couple of years now and I don't understand why Fitbit hasn't kept up.  The Apple watch differentiates between pushes, it can tell when you're going up hill by the short, sudden shoves, it knows when you're on the flat and give long, lose pushes.  It can even tell if you turn full circle and an awful lot more, and when it wants to encourage you to move it says 'let's roll', a small thing but a thoughtful one.  I have had a Fitbit since I first got into fitness trackers but I am now seriously thinking of trading in my Samsung phone (dozens of sports are track-able, from burpees to yoga but nothing for wheelchair......and I get heartily sick of seeing 'walking' at the top of the screen when I track my exercise) and my Fitbit and going down the iPhone and Apple smartwatch route.  I have contacted both Fitbit and Samsung about full wheelchair tracking capabilities but haven't received replies as to whether they have any intention of bringing new software out

Best Answer

I think it would be great if fitbit did that and good on you for contacting Fitbit about it. I suggest you go and vote for THIS Feature suggestion. The more votes it gets the more likely it is to happen (and I think it should happen).

Community Council Member

Best Answer

No you aren't being picky AT ALL!!  I would love to switch to Apple watch...I already have an Apple phone.  But I like the sleek design of my FitBit Alta and my husband and other friends have fitbits and I regularly do challenges with them.  

How wonderful it would be to have a device that recognized pushes and could distinguish between short and long.  You have inspired me to bug fitbit about this issue.  Thanks!

Best Answer

I requested Fitbit to put some of their challenges and work week hustles in duration and not just step base for those that do use wheelchairs for mobility can engage in these challenges.  So far, I have not heard too much back.  I also requested bands that can be adapted for individuals that do not have full mobility in their hands to independently clasp their device, such as velcro, but no luck.  I think Fitbit needs more encouragement to recognize the different needs of athletes and consumers trying to use their devices.  

Best Answer

I know they are not by fitbit, but you can get all sorts of different bands on Amazon or Ebay, some with magnetic or velcro fasteners.

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Just got my fitbit charge 3 and don't know where the wheelchair setting is to put it on. Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there,

I recently got a Fitbit Inspire and am also a wheelchair user. I'm just wondering what your stride length is set at.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Sniffysmith ,  unfortunately I cannot recall.  My Fitbit Flex2 failed some time ago now and I haven't been able to replace it.  What I do remember is that I didn't change too many settings.  I found that movement in the wheelchair actually matched my brother's strides wel enough for my needs (he and I have very similar builds).  After that I was more focused on achieving own goals than actually worrying about whether 10,000 steps were accurate.  It's the movement that mattered to me 😁

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you figure out a wheelchair setting for the Charge 3?  My daughter uses a manual chair and would like to get a fitness tracker for her. Any advice appreciated!

Best Answer