Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cracked Alta HR screen

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My screen has cracked - without me knocking it on anything.  It's less than a year old.  How to I get a new screen?

Best Answer
127 REPLIES 127

I dont think you can get new screens fitted. If you think it might be a warantee claim then contact Support (link in my signature) though usually warantees do not cover damage.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Same thing happened with mine, the screen cracked during normal wear within the first year of use. (I'm assuming that normal wear includes sporting activities since fitbit advertises use by atheletes)

Fitbit only offered me 25% off a repurchase. 
I had ordered my Fitbit HR from Amazon and after talking to Fitbit I contacted Amazon again. The Amazon offered to replace my Fitbit. It should have been Fitbit taking responsibility, not Amazon. Glad I got it fixed but lost a lot of respect for Fitbit as a company and have much lower expectations for Fitbit devices than I had when I originally bought my Alta HR.

Best Answer

Were you able to get a replacement? We are traveling in a hot/humid climate right now and I've had my Fitbit for about a month. In the heat the screen cracked. Fitbit "customer service" is telling me it's not covered under warranty, but clearly this is an issue/design flaw. As they did with others, they offered me a 25% discount to purchase a new one. WHY on earth would I buy another one when the one I already bought cracked after a month??

Best Answer
Amazon replaced mine because i bought extended protection plan through
them.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought mine through JB hifi so no such luck!

Hi there - I got no where - still have a cracked/scratch screen.  Pretty **ahem** service if you ask me!  Next time I'll purchase a different brand

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer

I made sure to buy extended warranty because of friends' and families' stories about defective hardware. I wasn't taking any chances. Fitbit needs to step up it's hardware game!!

Thanks for the information! I'll definitely give that a try.

Best Answer

I just had that issue also. My screen has a crack and I know I didn't hit it. Fit bit only offered me 25% on my next purchase. Unfortunately I purchased it directly from them. I've also lost respect for them. I will never recommend their product to family or friends since this is how they treat customers. I have workmates who from time to time  ask me about how I like it. Now my answer will change from being positive. Really sad!

Had my experience with them been better I would have bought a another device but now I have no respect or trust in their products or customer service.

Thanks much. I'll do just that.

Best Answer

Agree 1000%. I just had the same issue (cracked screen) with a Charge 2. Apparently this is a Quality issue that isn't restricted to the Alta but is across the board. Given that their products are DESIGNED to be tapped on the screen, their failure to provide replacements when fitbits crack under normal use sounds to me a lot like planned obsolescence of their product. Crankly disrespectful and exploitative treatment of their client base. What a letdown!

They offered me 25% as well. Why would I buy another product that is likely to crack?!  I'm going with another company.

Best Answer

Lucky you were offered 25% discount...in Australia, I received NOTHING!  Won't buy another one and have warned all my friends to steer clear and go with another brand.  When this thing kicks the bucket, I won't be buying another one!  What a waste of almost $200

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing just happened to mine. It was in the 90s today in Indianapolis and humid. My screen was fine yesterday but now it's cracked. I was outside in the sun for about 6 hours walking around at my kids lacrosse tournament and now it's broken. Less than 6 months old too.

Best Answer

I just noticed my 4 month old HR ’s screen is cracked, I have not noticed hitting anything. Seems to be a very sensitive screen. Hope they will soon understand this is an issue they need to adress. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Appears to be heat related - being out in the sun etc.  Known issue for sometime now and not just on Alta HR but also Charge 2 customers are posting about the same problem.  Some are getting theirs replaced others just being offered 25% discount on new one. 

Best Answer

Same thing happened yesterday to my daughter's Fitbit Alta screen.  In this excessive heat the screen cracked and by today it is spider cracked all throughout the glass.  Customer service told her it was the heat and would offer her 25 % off a new Fitbit.  Quite a scheme they have going!  The Fitbit is less than 6 months old.

They told her to take it back to the store she bought it.  They won't return past 30 days.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The store should refund you as it's a faulty product. Their returns policy doesn't apply when a product is faulty. I believe this is covered in the Sale of Goods Act. (Might be worth asking the Citizens Advice Bureau just to confirm the right legislation). Goods should be expected to last a reasonable time and this can even be longer than the standard manufacturers warranty. The store will then recover from Fitbit.
Best Answer

Thank you for your reply.  I have told my daughter and she is going to give it a try.  Her band is also broken so that may help too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your response Winnie187. I've just lost all faith in the  Fitbit company. It's so sad that they don't care.

Best Answer

Had the same issue with mine.my fitbit was completely fine and I went for a walk and a crack just appeared across the screen.its clearly a fault with the product as it was sun/heat related.it was only just over 3months old they just offered me 25% off however even with that it's still over £100 and more than I originally paid to begin with.why would I want to buy another faulty product I'm getting a Garmin they don't crack in the sun

Best Answer

Hi there everyone! Good to see you in the Forums! 🙂

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your experiences with us! For those who have received a discount, I'm sorry if this is not what you expected 😕

Now, I'd like to know if any of you experienced this while being outdoors and applying sunscreen or bug repellent that was applied on the tracker. I'd like to know if it may have something to do with the Alta HR. If you've been doing this, I'd recommend making sure you remove your tracker when applying these and then put the tracker back on.

Your feedback is very valuable! I appreciate you taking the time to share this with us in advance!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
I did wear sunscreen that day, but it was a lotion sunscreen that I applied
before getting dressed. I don't like the lotion to make the screen of my
fitbit greasy so I'm SURE I didn't get any on it. I definitely was not
wearing bugspray the day the screen cracked.

Can you explain how sunscreen or bugspray could affect the durability of
the fitbit screen?
Best Answer