Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cracked Alta HR screen

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My screen has cracked - without me knocking it on anything.  It's less than a year old.  How to I get a new screen?

Best Answer
127 REPLIES 127

Thanks for replying @foreverdancing!

Your feedback is very important to see what could be causing this. Thanks a lot for taking the time to share it with us!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

I had applied spray on sunscreen the day mine cracked.  My wife did too but hers did not crack.  Is there really no way to pop the screen off and replace?  It seems silly that it is possible on phones but not on the Alta HR?

Best Answer

Thanks for letting me know @Timyoder!

Now, when it comes to repairing the display on an Alta HR, at the moment, we don't have a program for repairing damaged trackers.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and sharing this with us!

Best Answer

I had not applied oil sunscreen, but did have lotion on. If this proves a worthwhile research study then we should have a warning on the sunscreen bottles. “Do not apply when wearing Fitbit Alta”. 

On on another note, went back to the store I purchased at, Dicks Sporting Goods, and they no longer carry them due to poor sales. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem.  Screen cracked on new Alta HR.  Didn't hit it; the crack is enlarging over time.  Who doesn't wear sunscreen in 2018?  Looking for a replacement.  Any suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes
No bug spray or sunscreen applied on my tracker. I was outside in the sun and had applied lotion prior to putting the tracker back on after showering that morning. There appears to be a recurrent theme on the posts for both the Alta HR and the Charge 2 that users were wearing them in the sun. Perhaps it's a combination of factors or users tapping the screen when it was still hot after being exposed to the sun for a period of time. I note that there has been a comment that this a rare occurrence but the numerous posts on the community pages for both the Alta HR and Charge 2 would suggest otherwise. Plus there are posts from early 2017 with the same problem which confirms this has been a known issue for some time. It would appear this is a manufacturing defect of some kind and I assume there is the possibility that this may be restricted to certain batches. Perhaps someone at Fitbit could review the serial numbers of all customers that have reported the same problem to see if there is a link at all.
Best Answer

Ok, I'm in Australia not the US so there is no "replacement" or "discount" on this shonky item!  What the **** does wearing sunscreen have to do with anything?  This paragraph would have to be the biggest PR smokescreen I have EVER read:

"Now, I'd like to know if any of you experienced this while being outdoors and applying sunscreen or bug repellent that was applied on the tracker. I'd like to know if it may have something to do with the Alta HR. If you've been doing this, I'd recommend making sure you remove your tracker when applying these and then put the tracker back on.

"It's a health monitor for you to wear while exercising......shouldn't you wear sunscreen in those conditions?? Face it - the Fitbit Alta HR is a DUD and the company needs a good kick in the butt for not having replacement screens. Never again will Fitbit see a cent of my money $249 down the toilet as far as I'm concerned.  So Ferdinand, you can report MY feedback to your heart's content.

..and I love how Ferdinand edited this post when people were suggesting we contact consumer affairs..... pathetic!

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer

Thank you all for sharing your feedback on this with me!

I'm sorry bout the inconveniences and I really appreciate the understanding.

@LY26 @Scott169, When it comes to cracked screens, this is not covered under the warranty but I can get your case to the Support Team to see what are the options they would be able to offer. Is that something you'd like me to do?

Best Answer
Yes, please.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was already in a chat with support and was offered 25.% off a new Fit Bit. I would not spend another penny on a Fit Bit after I have already had two failures. 

If if there is anything else that can be done you can send my case to support 

Best Answer

so you offer to help out @LY26@ &@Scott169 - what about everyone else?????

Fitbit should be made to replace all AltaHR's as they have cracked under NORMAL use

Absolutely DISGUSTED!

Best Answer

I finally managed to get a replacement Alta HR (just the pebble no strap) but only by contacting them again and insisting that I was treated the same as others that had received a replacement. Eventually after being transferred to a supervisor and not giving up they agreed to replace.  I suggest others contact them again let them known the 25% is not an acceptable resolution and insist you are treated fairly as other customers have been.  Be polite but don't give up.  If Fitbit responds correctly only then will they earn customer loyalty and respect. 

Best Answer

Yes please do so. I am totally disappointed and have made it known to many friends and family. Had customer service handled my case better I would have even considered new products. Obviously Fitbit isn't big on customer satisfaction and thus life long customers.

Best Answer

Great, I've escalated your case to the Support Team for them to see what are your options at this point @Scott169. Keey an eye on your inbox for more instructions!

@LY26, thanks for getting back! In that situation, if the Support Team has already offered you a discount on a new tracker, there's nothing else that can be done. I'm sorry that this is not the option you would expect.

I'm offering assistance for whoever needs it @robynm003. Were you able to get in touch with the Support Team and they told you that you're not eligible for a replacement or a discount? If so, there's not much that can be done. If you haven't contacted them yet, let me know so that I can escalate your case and for them to get in touch with you.

@WINNIE187, I'm very glad to hear that you were able to get your tracker replaced! 🙂

@Gilclaire I'm sorry about this situation. If there's any other thing I can help you with, please, let me know!

Best Answer

You can not and they will not cover it under warranty either. Mine popped off after 4 months of use. They do not have replacement screens nor will they fix it. I got offered a discount (10% off) on buying a new one........This was my 3rd and final Fitbit.....that just isn't right

Best Answer

Ferdin!

Could you please pass me off the support team as well? I am dealing with the same issue: cracked Alta HR screen after a hot hiking day! I can't believe how common this seems to be. I've been so happy with my Fitbit and am super disappointed to hear this might be something I won't be able to get help with...

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

WHA?!? That's not acceptable. I'm so sorry that happened to you. When you spend close to $200 on something it should be built to last. Fitbit should have made it right and replaced it completely.

Best Answer

Just had the same problem and as with everyone else all I was offered was a 25% discount. Screen cracked with no impact. I drove to the hairdressers and it was fine and when I left the screen had cracked and before any one from Fitbit asks no products went near the watch.

disgusting service and I will not be using the discount and will not buy a Fitbit product again. For the price I would expect them to last more than 10 months or maybe I’m expecting too much!?!

Best Answer

As I have said before I certainly WILL NOT give one more penny to Fitbit.  I have never heard of a company that can not and does not stand behind their product.

Garmin makes a fabulous tracker and being such a reputable company I am sure they stand behind their products.  

Best Answer

Unfortunately I found that I had to contact them twice and it wasn't until I insisted on being transferred to a supervisor and let them know that I wasn't going to be fobbed off with the standard response that it wasn't covered by the warranty when others had been offered a replacement (check out the posts for the Charge 2 with the same issue) that they eventually agreed to give me "the same exception" as they had given others. I think they knew I wasn't going to give up especially when I asked about their complaints process. It appears the customer services representatives aren't empowered to make the right decisions and are just reading out the standard company warranty response to an issue with the screen. Despite asking for a photo and apparently reviewing the same this makes no difference to the response you get.  How refreshing it would be if they did actually see sense and admit that this is occurring through no fault of the user and provide the service you would expect from a company that allegedly believes in the quality of it's own products. As I've suggested before don't give up and insist on being treated the same as others.

Best Answer