Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta Notifications

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Alta comes with the ability to set up and receive call, text, and calendar notifications on iOS and Android.

This post will provide instructions on how to setup your alerts so that you can see who's texting you, the Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 11.29.29 AM.pngcontent of the messages, who's calling, and what your calendar has on deck for you. For a detailed overview of alerts for Alta, please see this help page

• How do I set up call/text/calendar notifications on Alta? 
  1. Make sure that your mobile device is compatible with our notifications feature by visiting http://www.fitbit.com/devices
  2. On your mobile device, make sure Bluetooth is enabled, and make sure your device is nearby!
  3. Open the Fitbit app on your mobile device and tap your tracker tile at the top of your mobile Dashboard.
  4. Tap your tracker tile a second time, tap "Notifications" (iOS) or "Call and Text Notifications (Android) and then turn on call/text/calendar notifications.
  5. To verify that set up was successful, check out the list of Bluetooth connected devices on your mobile device. Your Alta should appear.
  • How do I view call/text/calendar notifications on Alta?

You can view your notifications when they come in by using Quick View or by double-tapping the Alta where the band and tracker meet.

Notes

• For Android users, please ensure that you've turned notification access on in your settings and enabled each notification in the Fitbit App. 
  • Calendar notifications use the native calendar app in iOS, and the native or selected 3rd party app on Android. 
  • Windows Phones do not support alerts at this time.
Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
643 REPLIES 643
What did it fix? The message notification cause I get that but just not the content of the message
Best Answer
0 Votes

thanks erick but ive tried everything, have a call coming in this afternoon from tech, they emailed me yesterday with more things to try but nothing is working, ive had a silent alarm set since the first day, never vibrates and no notifications, i has have the samsung s6edge plus, the alta is listed as paired but will not be found when i set it to scan, i even deleted my other blue tooth items and only had the alta  on and still nothing

Best Answer
0 Votes
It fixed me getting notifications. I was able to sync the Alta for steps, and I had silent alarms, but did not get text or incoming call notifications. I do get who the text is from, and the first line of the text. From reading the other posts, it would seem the Androids are harder to configure. Surely they can find a software fix!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MatthewFitbit wrote:

@MarusiaC @Krogerman Receiving a notification will not automatically illuminate the screen. When you feel the vibration, you can use Quick View or a double-tap to activate your Alta and view the content of the notification itself.

I feel this is a huge disadvantage coming from the Garmin vivosmart that displayed when they came in, usually the band vibrates and then when I tap it I get nothing and I can't get back to notifications, it would be a nice feather in their cap if this could be user preference, I would easily set it to display automatically, it was my favorite feature on the Garmin and I was stunned to not see it on the Alta.

Best Answer
0 Votes

make sure you do the instructions on your fitbit where you enable your notifications then

if you have an android

Go to settings 

applications

application manager

messages (click on the icon)

hit force stop, disable, clear data

restart phone

now try it

this will allow you to see more than just text message...it will show most if not all of the actual text

Best Answer

My alta is not displaying my notifications.  I have a Samsung Galaxay S5.  My fitbit app keeps displaying a fitbit notification that says "Additional Actions Required Touch to complete Fitbit notifications settings".  I go into the settings to "Turn on device notifications" and select enable notifications.  I have also checked the Fitbit Notification Service checkbox and clicked ok.  The only way out of that screen is to hit the back button, which I believe is "erasing" the settings I have just selected.  

I have tried to uninstall the app and reinstall it again but it doesn't help.  The function worked when I first set up my new Alta, but hasn't worked for the last week or so.  It's very frustrating to say the least.

Best Answer
Tired of this alta.. anyone what the Galaxy S6 Edge have any weed out of their message notifications on there alta? Not just where it says new message, message
Best Answer

I was getting notifications fine until Sunday when I got the Marshmellow update on my Note 4. I have rebooted, unpaired and paired, uninstalled and re-installed app, re-set device, checked settings and I am getting nothing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Of course 2 seconds after I hit enter I got a phone call and 2 text messages came through. 

Must have been a timing wait x long after sync thing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tinal38 That is an awesome suggestion! I have referred to that exact issue with bonding on multiple mobile devices here.

Your Alta can show up to 40 characters of a notification, this is the intended behavior.

@lauren1122 Yay! Thanks for the update. Robot Happy

@SunsetRunner Were you able to turn OFF the Fitbit Notification Service and then turning it back ON and set up the notifications again? That should resolve the persistent notification you're seeing.

@Rodukes123 Making the stock Android "Messages" app your default app and following the steps here should resolve that for you.

@ellstewsin Thanks for trying out my suggestions anyway. If you're not feeling any vibration with the alarm it might be faulty hardware. Thanks for confirming that you've already reached out to our Support Team. I recommend continuing the discussion with them so they can provide you with some deeper troubleshooting and further options.

@dianebrat I suggest voting for this existing idea within our Feature Request board. The more votes the idea gets, the more likely it is to be considered for implementation in the future.

@dboyer30 Pressing back doesn't erase the checkmark on the Fitbit Notification Service. What you have to once you've activated that setting is to turn on the individual call/text/calendar notification settings in the Fitbit App as seen below:

Screenshot_2016-03-28-12-26-38.png

@BorgSPeon Thanks for updating me and letting me know that it's back to functioning. Might have been just delayed. If that happens again, try restarting the Alta and then sending yourself a text from a friend's phone to test if you receive the notification. 

Best Answer
Yay!!! Finally got messages to work on my Alta..now I can read the mesages!!  This is on my s6 edge
Best Answer

@ErickFitbit  I don't have that option.  When I click on Call and Text Notifications, it takes me to a page where I click on the red Enable Notifications bar at the bottom of the screen.  Which takes me to another page called Notification access where I select the checkbox.  I have looked everywhere in my app and I don't have the Call Notifications, Text Notifications and Calendar Notifications that you show below at all (I used to when I first set up the new Alta a couple weeks ago). 

Best Answer
0 Votes
how did u do it,ihave the end plus, no vibrating, and no notifications, I've tried everything

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rodukes123 Happy to hear that you're getting the notifications now. Thank you for updating me.

@dboyer30 You should see that option once you've enabled the Fitbit Notification Service and then backed out into the Fitbit App.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ErickFitbit

Here are screen shots of what I have.  I don't have the options you posted above when I back out into the Fitbit app.  Something's not right and I don't know what to do to fix it.Screenshot_2016-03-29-13-59-28.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

And here is the Fitbit Notification Service screen showing the checkbox checked.Screenshot_2016-03-29-13-58-07.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes the message does show up. Only a few words. Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

What did you do to fix it ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK, Using a Samsung 3 and I have tried every suggestion, re-booted, dis connected, changed message apps, EVERY thing possible that has been put out here to view my messages.  I still love the fact that the Alta has a slim look, includes a clock, reminders to move and all the other features I wanted.  If anyone comes up with something or there is some kind of update, please post on here.  I'll check back periodically.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, got update to marshmellow on Sun on my Note 4

Things started being a bit wacky

Reset Alta by plugging in and holding button for 10 secs a couple of times

Unpair and re-paired to bluetooth

Unpaired Alta and uninstalled app from phone

Reset bluetooth on phone and restarted phone

Installed app and Setup Alta like new

Went into setting in app on phone and turned on notifications

Picked phone default apps of Contacts, Message, Calendar

Re sync d a few times and just waited

I tried to call myself from another phone but nothing. Did some work that they pay me for and got a work call on my phone and notifications have been coming through ever since.

Glad I actually like tech of I would have given up.

Best Answer