Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta not syncing with Android

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Last Monday night I synced to my Android no problem, the next day and for a whole week now my Alta will no longer sync to my phone.  I was able to sync it on my laptop however...

I've restarted my phone, uninstalled the app, restarted the location and Bluetooth and nothing 😕 

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Welcome to the Forums @taylyn820! This sounds odd. First, please double check that you are using a device listed in our compatible devices list. Or that your phone doesn't have a syncing issue listed in Which Android devices have known issues with the Fitbit app?

If your Fitbit device still won't sync, try these steps:

1. Force quit and then reopen the Fitbit app.
  2. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and back on.
  3. Open the Fitbit app.
  4. If your Fitbit device didn't sync, restart it. For instructions see How do I restart my Fitbit Alta?
  5. Uninstall and reinstall the Fitbit app.

If your Fitbit device won't sync after you reinstall the app, log in to your Fitbit account on a different phone, tablet, or computer and try to sync. 

Please keep me posted with the outcome! 😉 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
I recently unpaired my Fitbit from my cell and it synced immediately...after doing literally every single troubleshooting option listed...now I've had this cell and fitbit for some time so this issue was new and very strange. But for now, as of last night, it synced right after I went into Bluetooth settings and unpaired my Fitbit from my phone! So strange!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the update @taylyn820! So good to hear that your tracker is now syncing and for sharing the troubleshooting steps that help you to solve this. Sharing your solution can be helpful to other users experiencing the same difficulty. 

Also, I'd like to encourage you to join us at Discussions board, there you can be inspired, find some tips to get moving, eat well, manage weight, sleep better, live mindfully and more!

Give it a look! 😉 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same issue. My Alta has been synced with my cell for almost a year with no issue. But the past month or so it's been unsyncing regularly and I have to go through all the steps to get it sync again. Weird and frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nice to see you here @catvis! Thanks for sharing your experience with your Alta. To make sure that you are restarting your Alta as suggested here. Also, you can try this troubleshooting steps to fix your syncing issues

I hope this helps, keep me posted! 😉 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am still having a terrible time with my Fitbit and app!

I still have to "unpair" yes unpair!!! My alta from my phone every single time to get it to sync...

then once synced it takes About 30mins for any of the info to even appear (other than steps, only steps appears right away)

Then whenever I reopen the app only my steps ever show and all other boxes are blank again.

This has been happening since the last week of November.   With my Alta and now Alta HR 😭😭😭😭

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome back @taylyn820! Thanks for sharing your experience with the Fitbit App. This is not the expected behavior of the Fitbit app. To further assist you, I've created a Support case on your behalf - you should receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums.

Keep me posted if you have any other question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried everything you mentioned on the list, and my Alta still doesn't sync 😢

Best Answer

Hi Lucy, I've tried everything you mentioned on your below list, but my Alta still doesn't sync. It has been working correctly for 3 years, and now no more sync... Please help!!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The same thing happened to me at the same time

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I uninstall the app will I lose all my data for today (and the past)? I have over 32,000 steps today and really don't want to lose it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried everything on this list, twice, and it still wont sync. It has been trying for over an hour now and cannot find the fitbit which is plugged in and only 2 feet away. What a crummy product.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lucy, this sounds like my issue too. My phone has always been fine to sync with my alta HR but lately I've had to force the app to stop and then open it again to get it to sync. It's a pain,  and I shouldn't have to do that every single day when I want to see my sleep score. 

I have restarted the phone, reinstalled the app, finally I just tried unpairing it from Bluetooth and now it won't pair at all. I just can't use it, which is upsetting. I use other Bluetooth devices with my Samsung all the time.  It's frustrating that there doesn't seem to be a way to contact fitbit directly other than through a twitter DM, and I don't use Twitter. Can you please help?  Or at least maybe you know where to get direct customer service, since I can't find it? 

Best Answer

Hello again! I just replied to the post a little white ago... I did find the customer support chat so I will use that.

I thought I'd mention too in case anyone else is having the same issue as I described with not syncing, I'm also getting stuck in the fitbit setup wizard that goes through all the settings you want When I unpaired from Bluetooth, it was not able to pair again, but it still brought me through the initial setup when I opened the app again. I thought I could still track my steps, etc., on the device itself even though I can't use Bluetooth syncing. However, after choosing the orientation of the watch face and clicked "choose," it won't go farther. It won't let me choose, the button just flashes but won't select, so I can't move on to get it set up. I tried a few times and it gets stuck in the same place. I reinstalled the app too! I'm just confused. I will try customer service but if you have other suggestions I'll try them!  I've restarted the phone, the fitbit alta, reinstalled the app, turned off and of Bluetooth, I can't think of anything else.

Best Answer

No, you can uninstall and it reappears when you reinstall - so no problem there.  

I am totally frustrated with this problem, my fitbit and samsung phone are constantly un-pairing, getting to the stage of throwing my fitbit away !!

Best Answer