Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta's battery draining fast

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My battery is only lasting for a day. Previously it had been lasting longer. It is less than a month old.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
146 REPLIES 146

Same here would like to see a safety chain so I don’t lose the fitbit when the bracelet breaks. It’s the plastic U shaped

piece where the unit hooks in. If it wasn’t for being wintertime heavy coat gloves etc when it broke got caught in the sleeve any other

time fallen right off. The original

strap broke found in the backyard third time may not be so lucky   

Best Answer

Just to add, by the way, that after the last update and by charging flat/knocking a few alarms off, my Fitbit is back to about 6 days between charges. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fabulous so glad to hear!  Thanks for helping others too. Really think it is a weight issue (hee hee) keeps

it from making a good connection when charging 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! 

I'm aware that you probably already tried all the basic troubleshooting steps, however, it won't harm to take a look at all the information here about improving the battery life and I also recommend letting the battery drain until the tracker get unresponsive and then fully charging please take a look at these charging tips. They could also be useful for other users checking this thread for the first time. 

Catch you later! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My problem was solved by replacing the faulty device. It wasn't a charging issue. Wasn't an overuse issue. Who is going to be Happy buying a device because of features that have to be turned off to make it work properly? Went through all the inane suggestions to reset, charge 'properly', turn features off. After the (then) most recent update the HR lights were EXTREMELY bright. Bright enough I didn't need a bedside light at night.To go from fully charged to dead flat in one day is not operator error. 

Best Answer

Hey there @Danefan

Thanks for the update! Fitbit continuously works to improve the quality of products and services, and all this information is useful to our team of developers. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience. 

Catch you later! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

< Who is going to be Happy buying a device because of features that have to be turned off to make it work properly?>

Thank you for saying that. I just got a Fitbit Alta Wednesday. Charged it Wednesday night and it was 100 percent within the 2 hours as expected. Wore it overnight and by the next morning it was already down to half battery. By 2:30pm, I had an email notification for low battery. Same happened Thursday into Friday. I contacted support and was told that I needed to turn off all notifications including the reminders to get up and get active, stop checking my progress on the watch more than 4-5 times a day, turn off auto-flash and the quick response or whatever that's called. I work from home as a writer and the reminders to get up and move around were the big reason I bought this Fitbit. Basically, I feel as though there is serious false advertising at play. Hey, the Alta will do all of this and have a battery life of up to 5 days - (but not if you actually turn all of those functions we're promoting on.)

Best Answer

I'll say this. After days of doing backend monitoring of my battery, Fitbit contacted me and said I'm right. Everything is shut off and it shouldn't be only getting 38-40 hours of charge. The warranty is replacing it.

Best Answer

Glad they are replacing it.  Your battery charge should last 7-10 days.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My FitBit is only working when plugged in. As soon as the charging cable is unplugged, it goes black and does not work.

Contacted support but they say I am out of warranty by a few months and have to buy a new one.

Anyone know how I can change the battery? I cannot afford to spend so much money on a new FitBit especially since they seem to stop working so easily.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What you say is that one should ideally  turn everything off. Oh, I know a better solution: turn the watch off. Then the battery lasts really long. I tried and succeeded. But the watch is not very useful anymore. 😉 

My “Alta” is 2,5 years old. And 2 months ago, suddenly, it started to need to be recharged more and more often. From one week, now it doesn’t last one day. I didn’t change any setting. Thus, it has nothing to do with settings. The battery is old. And can’t be replaced. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Two years is the average life cycle for Apple products. After my husbands heart attack invested in the Blaze Watch and Aria Scale all sync to his phone. Was a disappointment for the $ spent

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

What you say is that one should ideally  turn everything off. Oh, I know a better solution: turn the watch off. Then the battery lasts really long. I tried and succeeded. But the watch is not very useful anymore. 😉 

My “Alta” is 2,5 years old. And 2 months ago, suddenly, it started to need to be recharged more and more often. From one week, now it doesn’t last one day. I didn’t change any setting. Thus, it has nothing to do with settings. The battery is old. And can’t be replaced. 

I would like to show u this post because it seems like its the same issue. It according to fitbit is software but its defenity firmware issue https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Alta/Fitbit-Alta-suddenly-turning-off/m-p/2996037#M77826

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree !! I'm on my replacement fitbit and after a couple of months it's now not holding a charge but for only about 1 hour !!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there guys. Good to see you in the Fitbit Community Forums! Welcome around! 🙂

@mischcan, I'm very sorry about this situation. Unfortunately, if your tracker is already out of warranty, it can not be replaced. 😕 Did the Support Team offer any other alternatives?

@SunsetRunner, I'm sorry to hear you're also having problems with the battery on your tracker not lasting as it should. I've gone ahead and escalated your case to the Support Team for them to help you out. Keep an eye on yout inbox for more instructions.

@Greensunshine33, Thanks for reporting this. I've gone ahead and escalated your case to the Support Team. They should be getting back with you soon.

If you guys need more help with this, let me know. I'll be happy to help you out!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
Thank you so much !! So I haven't been watching my emails but they did offer to give me a new one , I just replied back today so hopefully I'll be getting my baby back !!! Thanks again !!

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Alta battery life went from 8 days to less than a day overnight.

1. It was following an app update

2. The all day sync was on after the update but has since been turned off

3. I can't restart it using the button on the charging lead as it doesn't have one

4. I've tried switching the power on and off 3 times. It doesn't work

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Perplexed.com

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have cleaned with soft brush and battery life is less than a day. What can I do 

Best Answer
0 Votes
What worked for me:
1.  Laying on a flat surface to charge (do not "dangle" via the plug/charger from the electrical source) This provides a good connection.
2.  Turning off some features.  I didn't want to see stats flashing every time I turned my wrist.

I hope this helps, my battery lasts 7-10 days, Alta is over 1 1/2 years old.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Get in touch with Fitbit. Mine did the same after an update. There is nothing you can do to fix it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes