Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta shutting off

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Is anyone else having issues with their Alta randomly shutting off and having to be plugged in to restart? I've had mine since Friday and have had to do it twice. Each time it's happened the battery still says it's full or mostly full. I tried calling the helpline but all I was being told to do was reset and sync. Both of which I've already done.
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Bleiker@HGrimstead I recommend you both perform a restart with my instructions here and let me know if that works.

If that doesn't work, I suggest following up with our Support Team who will be happy to look into the back-end data on your device and provide you with further troubleshooting assistance. Keep me posted.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
133 REPLIES 133

Hi @Bleiker I hope you're doing great! by any chance did you fully charge your Alta? when you tap on the display do you tap it on the sides or on the middle? make sure you're following the steps when you restart your tracker. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes
It has done it again today. As of last night it had a full battery and now it's saying moderate. I tap the screen on the side where I normally do it won't turn on. I attempt to sync and it won't register. It was working fine an hour an a half ago and it just shut off. This is the third time it's happened since Friday.
Best Answer

The exact same thing is happening to me. I've had my Alta since Thursday, it's happened three times. I am now sat at work with no charger and it's shut off. I know that it's got battery life. I purposely bought one with a clock and now it's essentially useless! Did you manage to resolve the issue @Bleiker?

Best Answer
Nope @HGrimstead and I can't find my charger so it's been off since 9 am yesterday. Kinda getting pissed that I wasted my money on a product and when I call the help line all I'm told to do is reset it.
Best Answer

@Bleiker@HGrimstead I recommend you both perform a restart with my instructions here and let me know if that works.

If that doesn't work, I suggest following up with our Support Team who will be happy to look into the back-end data on your device and provide you with further troubleshooting assistance. Keep me posted.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
Exact same issue had for a week has shut down several times thought low battery although was just charged. Connected to charger briefly showed full battery then its back to working.
Has just happened again am considering returning, disappointed.
Best Answer
Call the help centre - it took three attempts (they just kept telling me to reset) but in the end they sent me a new one and it's been fine so far.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @bigbluehouse! by any chance have you tried the troubleshooting steps that @ErickFitbit provided? If you have already done it I agree with @HGrimstead and you should get in contact with the Support Team so they can review your device history and tell you the options. 

Keep me posted! 

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

I have bee having the same issue with my Alta for the last month or so.  I have done the restart as described and still it continues to happen.  I ordered a second charger just to keep it with me so that I can plug it in. I'm not sure if it's the battery or not.  I had it plugged in from about 9pm to 5am. The battery indicator on my phone app, as well as on my Alta both show fully charged, yet it just "shut off".  Each time I plug it in, I see the Fitbit logo then it shows it charging again.  Not sure what is going on but honestly if this continues I'd rather just get rid of it all together!

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Thanks for joining us and welcome to our Fitbit Community! So sorry to hear that your Alta is also experiencing the same issue. If the second charger that you ordered doesn't fix the problem, then my best advice is to contact our Customer Support team so they can investigate further and get you back on track.

Let me know how it goes my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am having the same issue. I have had my alta since early May and had no issues until about 2 weeks ago....now I have to reset it daily. Really wishing now I hadn't upgraded from my Flex!
Best Answer
I got so fed up I called customer service. They had me try a few things,
then were able to see an error code on their side. Long and short. My
replacement will be here tuesday. I would suggest calling them for help.
Best Answer
Thanks..,,I'll try that!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @SunsetRunner! It's great to hear that you're getting a replacement once you get it you can take a look at this article in order to set it up. 

@Megansue33 If you have already tried the troubleshooting steps listed above I agree with @SunsetRunner on Contacting the Support Team so they can review your device history and tell you the options. 

Catch you later! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got an Alta after going through three Charges in two years (two broken bands and one with the button falling off). My Alta is doing the same thing as OP -- it will randomly shut off. When it does that, it won't turn on, sync and obviously doesn't record steps. I can only get it to turn on by plugging it in. Each time, I've had plenty of charge on the battery. It is very frustrating as I lose all the steps I take from the time I realize this has happened until I can get home to my charger again. Is this just a defect in some?

Best Answer
Yes I think it is some kind of a defect. I called customer service, they
had me plug it in and try to sync it one more time, and they were able to
see the error code (on the back end i guess) and diagnose the problem.
Long and short they shipped me a replacement which i had in a few days.
I've had the replacement for about a month and have had no issues at all
since. I would suggest giving them a call for sure!
Best Answer

@DRB2006 It's great to see you in the Community and welcome! So sorry to hear that your Alta's display is not turning on unless you put it in the charging cable. If you haven't done so, try restarting your Alta 3 consecutive times as advised in Melissa's post. If this doesn't resolve the issue, my best advice is to contact our "Customer Support" team so they can review your options.

Keep me posted on the outcome my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
Is anyone else's Alta just shutting off??
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Hankster1

Merged your post with this thread regarding the same issue,

Feel free to check out @ErickFitbit 's post:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Alta/Alta-shutting-off/m-p/1271387#M4746

Best Answer
0 Votes