Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta shutting off

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Is anyone else having issues with their Alta randomly shutting off and having to be plugged in to restart? I've had mine since Friday and have had to do it twice. Each time it's happened the battery still says it's full or mostly full. I tried calling the helpline but all I was being told to do was reset and sync. Both of which I've already done.
Best Answer
133 REPLIES 133

Same issues here. Got offered discount to buy new one. Why would I spend money on yet another Fitbit (had 3 different models that all were faulty) when your only response to faulty technology is to restart it. No thank you. Guess the Fitbit challenges will have to cease

Best Answer

Hi everyone! Good to see you in the Fitbit Community Forums! 🙂

I'm sorry you guys are having problems with your Alta trackers shutting off. Thanks for all that you've tried to get them to work. 

This has been advised before, but for anyone who hasn't tried it yet, please attempt to restart your tracker. You can easily do this by clipping your tracker to the charger and plugging the charger to a USB port on your computer or a wall charger. Then, Press the button on your charging cable three times within four seconds and your tracker should vibrate and show the Fitbit logo. This will make your tracker to reboot.

If you're still having issues after that, I can escalate your case to the Support Team. They will be happy to help you out. If you're still under warranty, they should be able to replace the tracker for you. If you're already out of warranty, I they will evaluate the available options for you.

If you need anything else, I'm always around!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
I got the solution. Try to change your charger. It worked for me. Buy a new
charger
Best Answer
0 Votes
Tried that option, still doesn't work. Feel really short changed as mines
was given to me as a gift by a very dear friend who is no longer here so
unable to check warranty.

Tracey
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @Sameerpuri, I'm happy to hear that with a new charger you're now back on track! 😄

@Looscc, Thanks for giving that a try and I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work for you 😕

I've gone ahead and escalated your case to the Support Team for them to help you out with this. Please, keep an eye on your inbox for more instructions and if you need anything else, I'm always around!

Best Answer

I have fitbit alta and it keeps shutting off without notice, this started a month ago. Today however, my alarm went off and then powered down. I can only get power when it is plugged in and the reset will not work (doesn't vibrate or show alta logo) Its showing 3/4 full battery and when I unplug it, it looks like the battery when its charging and then shuts off again. What can I do to fix this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Throw it in the trash because Fitbit can't/won't fix it and invest in a different brand. Sorry to be so pessimistic but that is my experience. Customer service was courteous but unhelpful. 

Best Answer

Yeah I was told its over the warranty period but I can have 25% off a new one. When i initially looked at the fitbit store there were sales reflecting. Once I clicked through the link for discount, the prices are regular cost less 25 % discount... however, the original sale I saw reflected lower prices and now it no longer shows up...

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is my third replacement, they all did this. Have had my replacement for 2 days and it is doing it. Not sure if I want another one, very disappointing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @Marren @bushrunner, good to see you guys in the Forums! 🙂

@Marren, I'm sorry to hear that this is not quite the solution you were expecting. If you'd ever like to take advantage of the discount, let me know and I'll be happy to help you out with it!

@bushrunner, If you're still under warranty and your replacement is failing to work as it should, let me know and that way, we can escalate your case for our team to get you back on track!

Best Answer

Im in the same boat. Mine turns off multiple times even after I’ve had it charged 100%. Ian in the latest firmware, I’ve restarted it multiple times with the original charger, the crappy part is that it’s over a year so I’m out of warranty. I’ve had a few FitBits and this is just the end of the rope for me. Im super disappointed that there isn’t an actual factory reset on the Alta, how is that possible? I’m not going to replace it with another so on to an Apple Watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue, alta turns itself off even when fully charged.  I like the way the discussion has been marked as solved even when everyone says you can restart the thing until you are blue in the face but the problem persists.  Shouldn't be surprised really.

Anyway, After a while I noticed with mine that it kept turning off after the step target was reached.  I tried resetting the step target to a level that was unreachable and it hasn't switched off since so it would seem to me to be a quite fixable firmware issue

Actually its not reaching the steps that does it, it is the vibration from the notification as I tried the alarm for the first time today and it switched off after the alarm went off.

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer

I get on to Live Help and they are very  good. I think they are sending me my 4th replacement but I am not sure I want it. My original Fitbit never had these problems so I think its a hardware problem. Mine stops when I take it off, when a notification comes through, or steps reached. I know its not a battery problem. Good luck with yours!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there guys, good to see you in the Community Forums! 🙂

@bushrunner, I'm glad to hear that our team was able to get it replaced for you. Hope you don't have more problems with your replacement.

@Paul_p, thanks a lot for the input. If you're still having problems with it, I can escalate your case to our Support Team for them to help you out with your Alta. Based on your warranty, they will be happy to see what are your available options. Would you like me to escalate your case?

@Amsaff I'm sorry you're not satisfied with your options 😕 If you'd like to take advantage of the discount, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help you out with the process!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine was sent to me by mistake when a charge2 should have been sent to replace a disintegrated chargeHR (which in turn was replacement for another disintegrated charge HR) and the company said don't bother sending it back but there is no warranty.  A lemon to replace a lemon, at least I didn't waste money on it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the exact same problem.  I’ve had my Alta for all of two days.  Set up with no issues.  Charged over night.  Put it on in the AM and went to work.  Within an hour it shut down and of course I didn’t have my charger.  Reset at home at the end of the day.  Within an hour it shut down again.  Day two was s rinse and repeat of day 1.  Thinking of throwing it away.  Extremely disappointing.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had three replacements. The last was a week ago, this one wouldn't even charge, completely dead. I don't think I can be bothered anymore as I feel they send them out from the factory without even testing them. I am making do with the second replacement which turns itself off randomly, will not buy another Fitbit. Good luck with yours!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I gave up on mine and binned it, now have s samsung one best thing I have
bought get all notifications to my watch never have to use my phone during
the day unless I'm calling someone. If yours is only 2 days old get your
money back. Sorry I cant help you resolve the issue.

Tracey
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there guys, great to see you in the Fitbit Community Forums! 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that your replacements aren't working as they should.

@bushrunner @SidewinderVA86, I've escalated your cases to the Support Team for them to take a deeper look and help getting you back on track. Keep an eye on your inbox for more instructions and if you need more help, let me know1

Best Answer

I have 2 of them. One was doing the same thing, and now it is working only when charging. Now second one acting the same. Both are a little more than 1 year old.

Best Answer
0 Votes