Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change my fitbit alta battery?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fitbit alta doesn't work unless it is plugged in. I think there may be an issue with the battery, is it possible to replace the battery?

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

Welcome to the forums!

It is not possible to change the battery

Please clean the contacts
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/My-tracker-s-battery-isn-t-charging/?q=not+chargi...

Then Do a Restart
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186/?q=restart&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

If it doesn't help Contact Support
http://help.fitbit.com/?cu=1

Please join us in the get moving forum! Lots of great people here!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

It's great to see new faces around @Meeka333

It's a shame to hear that you're experiencing this inconvenience. Great troubleshooting tips provided by @WendyB, I just would like to add the charging best practices and I've also attached the video of how to charge the Alta just to double check that you're doing properly. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

Thank you. I called support and they confirmed my device was detective and they're sending me a replacement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @Meeka333

You're more than welcome! It's great to hear that you're getting a replacement, don't forget to do the setup process once you get it. 

Have you checked our Discussions board? There you can share your story, find some fitness tips, recipes and more! Give it a look!

Hope to see you posting more often! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

Did you find a way to fix/replace the battery? I called support and I am just out of warranty and I have to buy a new one (which I cannot afford). 

Best Answer
Hello,
No I didn't. I ended up purchasing a new FitBitmlm

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

why would fitbit build a product that runs on batteries but the battery cannot be changed?? doesnt make any sense to me.

Best Answer

I have the same problem and question

Best Answer

how much is it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Skylar07 

You can't swap out the battery in the Alta, just like you can't swap them out in some smartphones. Was that your question? Can't give you a price, since it's nothing that can be done.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can't change a smartphone battery? Who are you, Apple? Anything with a battery can be changed. To change the Alta battery you have to heat the screen up like an Iphone screen to melt the glue, but move the heat quickly so you don't damage the screen.

Then lift off the screen, unscrew the board inside, and replace the battery. whole thing takes about 15 minutes if you go real slow. If you go fast, you can do it in 5.

Yootoobe has videos on it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @FitTHISbitSon  not everyone feels secure enough in doing this alone. Some people don't have the skills to do it and/or the necessary tools. Anyone is free to search online for solutions, but as for Fitbit, they don't suggest doing it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The question wasn't "Can anyone without any tools change a fitbit battery" though, now was it?

Best Answer

upvote x 10

Best Answer
0 Votes

Of course Fitbit doesn't recommend doing it!  They want you to throw yours away and buy a new one.  😞

Best Answer

I doubt it is the battery, and there is no need to heat it up, the face is held in with a silicone seal and 4 clips. Since mine is not working I felt okay with simply prying off the face with a box cutter (it is simple, but I could see it easy to mess up, so I am not suggesting anyone else do it...).

I get 4.2 volts off the battery, it went down the 3.9 after a few days, but I don't think this is a battery issue, as I can keep mine on if I actively tap on the screen after unplugging it. I have done so for 5 minutes and it stays on, but once I stop, it shuts off (and still has 4.2v where the battery connects to the board).

I am building a machine to tap it and see how long it will stay on, 5 minutes was all I had in me, that was tough.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Alta dies within minutes of charging. 

Best Answer

I don’t want to change the battery but why does it work while on the charger and unplugged it is dead says fully charged and stuff I waited hours for chat supprt on Fitbit queue 80+ and it didn’t even work I was disconnected and disappointed 

i Ann sure it’s a hardware issue and even as it’s new I guess nothing I can do ? 

Best Answer

Hi @Somerton09  the Alta was retired and isn't being sold new by Fitbit. It was replaced by the Inspire series. You might want to try restarting it a few times, but sometimes the batteries do die. Support here, as with many other companies, are super busy and it takes time to get through. I've spent a lot of time lately with Walmart on the phone and have waited as long as two hours, sad to say. Where did you get your Alta?

Best Answer
0 Votes