Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging Fitbit Alta for the first time

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I just purchased my Fitbit Alta and I am in the initial charging stage. How can you tell if it is actually charging? I accidentally hit the small button on the USB cable and now it's not showing a thing on the screen. The Fitbit logo was there now it's gone, ugh, something so small should not be this difficult to charge
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It is nice to see that you visit the Community @Denisetrying@RhondaRJ@BLambertz75@Jojo54@cbrenton and @Jack100! I could read that some of you have issues to charge the Alta tracker. Please try the following tips to resolve the charging issues.

The contacts on the tracker or charging cable may be dirty. Clean the charging contacts on the back of the tracker, and the pins on the charging cable so that they are still bronze or gold in color. Proceed like this:

• Use a toothpick or an alcohol-moistened cotton swab.
  • Be careful not to scratch the contacts with a wire brush or other metallic objects. This can damage the coating and cause corrosion.
  • If you use a toothbrush, first dry it with a cloth or paper towel.
  • It may also be that the USB port is defective or that the tracker is not properly connected to the charging cable. Try different USB ports and make sure the tracker is properly connected to the cable.

Others in this thread seem to have difficulties with the set up. Please note the requirements and troubleshooting steps of this Help-site article.

If you tried everything and it still not work, please post again.

Have a nice day! Man Happy

Marcel | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir KudosSmiley Wink

Welche Musik hört ihr bei welchem Training?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
124 REPLIES 124
Mine is brand new got it today and it isn't doing a thing. Help!!! I don't want to take it back but I may need too
Best Answer

Have you set up your Alta yet? If you haven't that could be the reason.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I can't even do that. It won't sync with the USB, or the dongle
Best Answer

Try restarting your Alta with the instructins here. They are also listed below.

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any USB power adapter.
  2. Insert the other end of the cable into the port on the back of your Fitbit Alta™. Your Alta will begin charging.
  3. Press the button on your charging cable three times within eight seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. 
  4. Eight seconds after the first button press, you'll see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This means Alta is restarting.
  5. After you see the logo you can unplug your tracker from the charging cable.
Best Answer
Did that as well. It won't start or restart. Nothing comes up on the screen at all
Best Answer

I reccamend contacting Fitbit Support. @ErickFitbit may be able to help to. I tagged him in this post. Let's hope he replies.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try restarting it 3-4 times in a row. That may help.

Best Answer

Hey @Carmen3208 welcome to the Community! It's too bad to hear about your new Alta not turning on. Please check this post about the proper way to charge your Alta, also you may try using different USB ports. 

Many thanks for your assistance here @SunsetRunner!

Let me know if it is still not turning on! Woman Wink

Retired ModeratorCindy | Community Moderator

Was this what you were looking for? Vote for it and mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

@CindyFitbit

It is my pleasure to help many people in need!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Did that too. Nothing works. Nothing on the face showing its charging or anything. I beleive I may have a bad one. I'm returning it to Best Buy and exchanging it for another one today
Best Answer
I've tried all that everyone mentions since 5:30 last evening and it isn't doing a thing. I plan to exchange it on my lunch hour today
Best Answer
Well, I returned the Alta and purchase a Charge HR. No problems at all setting it up, syncing or charging. This was so much easier and so worth the change. I am using it right now, thanks all that replied on the issues with the Alta.
Best Answer
@CindyFitbit, @SunsetRunner Well, I returned the Alta and purchase a Charge HR. No problems at all setting it up, syncing or charging. This was so much easier and so worth the change. I am using it right now, thank you for trying to help me
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get another Fitbit tracker and everything is working properly.

Have you checked our Discussions board? There you can share your story, find some fitness tips, recipes and more! Give it a look!

Enjoy your new Charge HR and keep the stepping up!

Was this what you were looking for? Vote for it and mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

I bought a new Alta yesterday and it does the same thing, no light on the charger whatsoever, tried restarting it, everything that you suggested, even tried different charging ports, different electrical outlets even.  Still a black screen.  Must be a "dud".  I will also exchange mine for a new one.  I got mine at Costco.

Best Answer
@ireniebeanie Best Buy told me that it's the software update that's causing the problem. I exchanged mine for Fitbit Charge HR that is working great!
Best Answer

Hmmm...I'm wondering if I should just wait a few months and get it then when the bugs are fixed.  It was going to be my "dress up" fitbit anyway, I have a flex already.  Love the option of being able to add multiple fitbits to my dashboard.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @ireniebeanie it's great to see you around! If you have tried all my recommendations, the best step is contacting support, I'm sure they will be glad to assist. 

@Carmen3208 thanks for sharing your experience with us! Enjoy your new tracker! 

See ya! Woman Wink

Best Answer

Thanks Cindy.  I ended up just exchanging it for a new Alta at Costco, no problems with the second one.  The first one was just a faulty one.  I do get a notice to update to a newer version, but when I go to download it, it says it was unsuccessful.  I know there is an update, maybe not available to everyone yet.  I will be patient.  So far, I love the new Alta.  Question though, if I have 2 fitbits to my account, do I need both dongles plugged in, or can they both be on one dongle?

Best Answer