Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

Is anyone else having trouble getting the little spikes through the holes in the band to close it?  it just pops open constantly - will probably lose it the first time out!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer

I have been having a terrible time snapping them in! No problem with it coming off. I may send it back as I am having to pound the crap out of it to get info.

Best Answer

@zoie47 and @moocow, I think getting the clasp on takes a little getting used to, and it can be quite stiff at first. However if you stick with it the band should loosen up a little to let you get the clip in just right.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

I just got mine yesterday and haven't been able yet to put it on myself. My husband has to put it on for me, and even he with his pretty strong hands has a hard time getting those to go through. I'm also finding that it feels bulky and uncomfortable on my wrist but maybe both of these issues will improve. If not, I'm wondering if the Flex or another one might be more comfortable/easy to get on/off? This is my very first FitBit.

Best Answer

@betsyp, you have a 45 day return window from Fitbit, so I would say give it a couple of weeks at least to see how you like it (and let it loosen up a bit).  Keep us posted, and ask if you have any issues. There's always someone here to help.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Thanks-I think I figured out the issue.  i have small wrists and the three holes nearest the device seem to be smaller than the other holes so I just moved it down a little.  It moves on my wrist more than I'd like but at least I can get it on.

Best Answer

I received my Alta yesterday and I also had difficulty with the clasps and had to get help from husband.   I also have a tiny wrist, but today I'm already seeing it a little easier getting on.  As someone mentioned I think it will get better with use.

Best Answer
I've had the flex and the charge and it was always a struggle to get the clasps to secure at first. Same issue with the alta. After a little bit they break in and go on without any problems. I have very tiny wrists as well.
Best Answer
Great. Thank you very much!
Best Answer
The strap is difficult to put on I have it where there's five holes left but get the two dots in the hose I have to dig in my skin forcing it also sleep tracker is way out of track and the thing is too sensitive the clip my hand it go through the motions and I have always on it drains the battery within three days also do you like this supposed to let you together and it 210 steps if I'm laying down watching TV it doesn't work
Best Answer
I sure hope so the fit bit sick because it's in fantastic device
Best Answer

I had been waiting for over a month for my fitbit Alta to be deliverred because it was new. When I got it a was very happy and began the process of activating it through my Mac. In the middle of the process I decided to put it on and that's when I discovered that , no matter how hard I tried ,I cound not get the band to fasten. I took it off my wrist and pushed as hard as I could but the two metal prongs would not go into the holes. I had my husband try the same thing, and he's a pretty strong person, and not even he could get the wrist band to fasten. I received some support through fitbit e-mail but I still have the same problem. Has anyone experienced the same problem? I am very disappointed and will probably be returning the item and this is after waiting over a month for its arrival.

Best Answer

I've had a flex for about a year and a half.  I had the same problem with that clasp, and posted my solution back then.  I'm sure it's not Fitbit-approved, but I took an exacto knife and a standing magnifying glass (my husband is into model making) and shaved out the holes a tiny bit.  Haven't had a problem since.

Best Answer

Thanks Matthew. I broke two nails trying to clasp the thing - my husband finally managed to do it but he really wanted to cut into it with a small pair of cuticle scissors. It is TOUGH to clasp. Also I was heartsick to find that it doesn’t work on a treadmill (I should have done some research before buying it) but I have my trusty FitBit One so that’s what I’ll use in the gym.

So far, not a great user experience but the customer service has been terrific, so that helps!

Best Answer

(I responded to the treadmill conversation to here, so that we can keep this thread on-topic.)

@moocow It really does seem to get easier over time. You might take a few minutes to clasp/unclasp it using both hands, just to break it in a little.

Best Answer

I am sorry you're having this issue but I am glad I'm not alone. I waited over a month to get the new Alta and was very happy when it arrived but I'm having the same difficulty with the wrist band. I have tried to push the prongs through the holes with quite a bit of force but was unsuccessful. I had my husband try the same thing while the Alta was off the wrist and even he could not do it and he is a pretty strong person. I have been writing the Fitbit support staff and they have been very nice but I don't tbink I'll be able to keep the product. I  am very disappointed.

Fitbitless,

Sabina

Best Answer

Thanks, Julia!

Actually, over the last couple of days I've taken the suggestion of someone on another thread to take the band off, unlatch it and relatch it over and over a few times, which seems to have loosened things up a bit, so that now I can get it on myself!

And after wearing it for a while longer, it's not feeling bulky anymore. I just had to get used to it.

Best Answer
I have arthritis and have a terrible time clasping the band.once it's on, don't want to remove it coz of the struggle to put it on. Liked the clasp on the surge much better. Not sure what to do...buy the stainless steel bracelet or return it.
Best Answer

I was so excited about receiving my Alta today. Knowing that the strap would not be a buckle and similar or my original, I had hopes that the clasp would be improved. Tried to put my Alta on and was devastated to find that it was still impossible to put on. This clasp is the reason I stopped wearing my original...it took forever to get on! I also ordered the Charge HR because of the buckle, but was excited that the Alta would be less bulky. Now I will probably keep the Charge and return the Alta. So disappointed. Why on earth did they not put a buckle on the Alta? If anyone knows a trick I'm missing with the Alta, I'd love to heR from you!

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity. 

Best Answer