Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812
If I could put it on and leave it on, I'd feel better about it, but I just don't want to fight with it every morning. I'm afraid I won't wear it. Is it ok to wear in the shower or not. I always thought not.
Best Answer

At first they are hard to put on. But it does get eaiser with use.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
I'm sure you'll get a more expert reply but I read that it is water
resistant but not waterproof and not good to wear in the shower. Also, I
wear mine all night because it tracks sleep, and gives you a detailed
report, so that's pretty cool!

You can actually loosen the holes a bit by clasping and unclasping the
wrist band while it's off your wrist. I did that yesterday when I was
getting ready to charge it while I took a shower! Then when I put it back
on, it was easier to get on by myself without asking my husband to help me.
I think it will get better with use.
Best Answer

@Vitti @sandy_su Please check my post above for some tips that might help. If you use both hands to repeatedly clasp and unclasp the device without wearing it, that should help break it in so that it's easier when you put it on with one hand. It definitely gets easier over time!

Best Answer

I don't like to sleep with it but I re-clasp it when I go to bed and leave it on the nightstand, and that seems to be stretching it a bit.  It's getting better.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Still having trouble with the band that came with, but I also ordered the leather band and it goes on much easier.
Best Answer

So far I haven't even been able to clasp it when it's off my wrist much less on. Pretty disappointed right now.

Best Answer

@speedlady I promise that it gets easier over time. If you aren't able to get it clasped using both hands, you might try soaking the band in warm water to loosen it up, or ask someone to assist you. Once you're able to clasp and unclasp it a few times, it should be much easier.

Best Answer
I found it impossible to clasp so here's my solution. I remove the fitbit normally by pulling on the strap to open it. When I am ready to put it back on, I disconnect the band from one side, wrap the device around my wrist then reconnect the band to the Fitbit face. Much easier and way less painful!
Best Answer

I could't get my clasp to work at all. I finally put a drop of olive oil on the band and not it works fine. Too bad they didn't make it easier.

Best Answer

I haven't been able to connect the little posts through the wristband either, even off my wrist! I hope there are some better wristband options out there, or my brand new Alta might need to be returned, and my trusty Zip to the rescue!

Best Answer
I almost sent mine back, but have since found myself loving it! I still
have issues with the little demon holes lol, but they are getting loser.
Good luck!
Best Answer
Thank you for your input. I was not willing to give up so a took a small awl and pushed it through the holes to stretch them. Now the band works well but it was a challenge!
Best Answer

I had difficulty with the clasp on my Alta until I slid something under it and then pressed down.  It seems to need a firm surface under the band, at least until the holes become a little more flexible.  I have very small wrists also.  I love the color of the band (purple!). 

@moocow wrote:

Is anyone else having trouble getting the little spikes through the holes in the band to close it?  it just pops open constantly - will probably lose it the first time out!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer

Yes!!!! Thanks for the tip! The olive oil did the trick, first try! 

Best Answer

I had no issues with getting the Alta on at all. I put the Alta screen side down on a soft surface. I think put my wrist in and push the upper clasp in only to start. I squeeze it with my thumb and pointer finger. Then I snap the bottom one in place once the top one is secure. I tried a couple times putting both in at once and that was not working.

Best Answer
0 Votes

don't take this the wrong way..The first time i tried to line up the prongs it was "difficult". Not as difficult as hanggliding or running a marathon...just line up the holes and push,,and when it doesn't go in..realign the pins..

Opening the package with the Alta was much harder than pushing in the pins!...line up the pins with the ALTA

off your wrist and push them thru a few times..within a few days it will be automatic

Best Answer
0 Votes
What is that?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I used a drop of olive oil on mine and it works like a charm. I was going to send mine back. Love it.

Best Answer

Yes! My husband has to put it on me too. I've been trying and trying to get it on myself and just can't. Smiley Sad

Best Answer