Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

I think it's great, but too late for us who bought into the first model of Alta. Epic fail Fitbit. Poor design. Your second year model proves my point. Either your client base struggle to put it on or they are faced with devastation when they lose it when it pops off their wrists, like mine. Not once but  Twice!  Really they should admit defeat and help their loyal customers with a better solution ! 

Best Answer
Got the problem solved. Use some oil and a fork. Run the prongs through the holes it stretches them just enough to snap on easily. Hooray.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I finally gave up, after finding the tracker on the floor twice.  So I went to Amazon and found a good-looking metal mesh band.  Easy to fasten, but it's heavy and the magnet moves so it becomes loose, although it doesn't fall off.  Finally I went to Target and found a wristband that buckles.  I just put it on the tracker, and I hope the third time's the charm.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought an Alta Fitbit a week ago.  I was all set to return it because of the constant daily battle of getting the darn thing fastened.  I suddenly came up with a perfect solution.  I took it off my wrist and snapped the buttons in the band - still no easy task.  I then undid one side of the top, detachable part of the band from the Fitbit, put the Fitbit around my wrist and snapped the top end of the band back onto the end of the Fitbit.  So easy!  No battles!  Best of all, I don't need to return it!  I hope this helps someone else who is frustrated by the difficulty of the snaps on the the band.

Best Answer

I had the same problem when my fitbit was new, but now it's much less stiff and pops on easily.

Best Answer

As you use it more, it gets a LOT easier to fasten. After a month or two, I could close the snaps with one hand.

Best Answer
That was great. I also found if you run the prongs of a fork in and out of the holes you stretch them a bit and it works well afterwards. How perfectly the prongs matched up was so very helpful. Kathy

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just to make sure you all know, the Buckle type bands for the new Alta HR fit the original Alta. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If this is a well known problem that almost all users seem to have, wouldn't a better solution be to just improve the band design?!  I can't believe this issue never came up in product development/beta testing. Wouldn't making the device easier to get on and off make happier, and repeat, customers?

Best Answer

I have a different concern re: the Alta wristband.  I have never had a problem fastening it.  Instead, it often comes off when I am getting dressed or it catches on  edges of furniture.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't had that problem but when I first bought my alta, I read where people had that problem so I ordered some silicon bands from Amazon and they help. And they add a pop of color. I really haven't had any problems with the band.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Use the prongs from your fork. It works for me every time. Otherwise it would have been gone!!!
With all these complaints you might think they would change the clasp

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Use the prongs from your fork. It works for me every time. Otherwise it would have been gone!!!
With all these complaints you might think they would change the clasp

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Use the prongs from a fork to loosen the holes. With arthritis I almost sent it back. Now I keep a fork near the shower just for that purpose. You would think with that many complaints, that they would change the band.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I now, after a few months, find two issues with my Alta band:

First, my band connection is so loose that it unfastens and falls off when it catches on anything. For example, this happens when I am removing clothing that goes over my arm or when I brush against anything and catch the edge of the closure; it does not take a tug for it to fail. Second, the band no longer meets flush with the Fitbit; it appears to have lost tension and stretched on one side past the edge.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

So, @WalkingGal, I think I get it now.  Your problem is not with the clasp but with  the end of the Alta device itself, where the band snaps into place. Is that right? Have you tried removing the band and re-snapping it into place?  Here is what I would suggest. Contact Support. They may be willing to send you a new band. Or, buy a new Fitbit or third party band. Either should snap on and stay in place without a problem. 

Best Answer
It's with the clasp. I ca remove the band width no problem.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
You got it! I will check on getting a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Had mine several months - pain in the butt to get it on.  Will not buy an Alta again unless wristband design changes

Best Answer

Good news, @Bubbamom!  Last March or so, Fitbit released buckle type bands for the new Alta HR. They also fit the original Alta. Several colors to choose from! Easy to attach!

Best Answer
0 Votes