Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812
Look at the inexpensive bands on amazon. (I do not work for amazon.) I have
a stainless steel band with butterfly clasp that is like an old watch band.
You can remove links for a perfect fit. There are many bands available
(buckle, silicone, steel) and lots of reviews.
Best Answer
Hi. Yes. I bought clasp bands.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I snapped it on the furthest end and slipped it over my hand. Not it just hangs there. Should not be this difficult

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am returning my Alta. Life is too short to spend this much time. I could have walked across the US!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,I am elderly and have been given a fitbit by my family.Not only do I find it VERY difficult to clasp, it takes me so long it is almost too annoying.I played golf today and it twice became loose despite another person clicking it correctly into place.My fingers cannot manage this clasp, is there another one with a buckle that I can purchase instead ?I don't want to lose it, I think it is very expensive and would be upset if my children had wasted their money on something so impractical for an elderly person in this present form

Best Answer
0 Votes
You can buy replacements from Amazon of the same type of clasping as normal
watch straps for $12 for the fitbit alta. I replaced mine about 6 months
ago and haven' had any problems since.
Denis
Best Answer
Thank you for this info.
This is what I will do, I just think it such a shame they produced a good idea and with a very poor clasping mechanism.
Best Answer
I totally agree and they have been having complaints for over a year now
....you think the latest watches would have been changed by now....wont
they ever listen?
Denis
Best Answer
0 Votes

I really dont like the leather loop -- if the free end slides out of the slot, getting it back in is more of a hassle than it should be.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree 100%. You would think but thy don't. Another $12. Give me a break.

Sent from my iPad

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Deniselt wrote:
I totally agree and they have been having complaints for over a year now
....you think the latest watches would have been changed by now....wont
they ever listen?
Denis

@Deniselt - They have changed. They HAVE listened. The latest watches have been changed. Fitbit has been offering bands with watch type clasps for the Alta and the Alta HR for quite a while now. You can see them here. You can also buy less expensive versions from third party vendors but I have found the Fitbit bands are better quality. I have several bands. 

Best Answer

There are quite a number of us that haven't had a problem with the band that comes with the Alta. I figured out ways to attach it if I couldn't get it to snap together. I have several of the old bands and now a new one with a buckle.

Best Answer
Hello, I bought a stainless steel band on Amazon. It has a butterfly clasp
common in watches (so it is one continuous piece and cannot fall off).
There are several different colors (steel, gold, rose gold, blue,
iridescent purple). I've been wearing it daily for more than a year. The
finish looks great (no scratches) and the band has never failed. I only
take it off to shower or charge it. It comes with a tool (and holder block)
to remove extra links so you can customize the band to your size or
preference.

On Amazon, you'll also see silicon bands with buckles.

Neither I nor my elderly mother could tolerate the original defective band.
You are not alone!

(For those who care, I do not work for Amazon, but I shop there often.)
Best Answer
me too by far the quickest and easiest solution
Denis
Best Answer

My Fitbit One just died. I had it for many years. I rushed out to buy a new one and could not find it at the store or on line. I resorted to getting an Alta. I have had a really hard time getting the strap to close. Also, I miss the One because I could wear it even when going out dressed up. Is there some way to buy a Fitbit one at a reasonable price?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lauren1105 Welcome to the Fitbit Community.

Thank you for giving a try to the Fitbit Alta. Although Fitbit One is a popular product, we are always working to streamline our offerings as we introduce new products. I'm afraid the Fitbit One is no longer available at the Fitbit Store nor through our retail partners.

If you're looking for a clip-based device, we recommend considering the Fitbit Zip. For information about this tracker and the rest of the Fitbit family of products please visit this site.

Hope to see you around more often.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
Thanks. I order the Zip and in the meantime, my Fitbit One just started
working again. I could not get it to charge, but I tried one more time and
this time it worked.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry but that video is not reality.  I've been clasping and unclasping, hurting my fingers, hurting my wrist... hoping that it gets easier like some of the other posters have said.  I watched this video and actually laughed out loud.  I did try a few more times thinking maybe, just maybe, it's me.  It is not even close to that easy.  Seriously, Fitbit... a new band design would be a pretty good idea.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TessEllSee wrote:

Seriously, Fitbit... a new band design would be a pretty good idea.

Hi @TessEllSee.  Glad you found us here to ask your question. Fitbit released bands with watch type closures quite a long time ago. You can view them here. This type of band is also available from third party vendors such as Amazon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate all the advice and will try the olive oil now as all else has failed and it has been a week now. I've nearly lost my Fitbit twice. What I would like to feedback is, if it's such a fundamental and common problem, why havnt they changed the design to a secure fastening?

Best Answer
0 Votes