Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

@Mau55 - They HAVE changed the design - quite a while ago. Please see my previous post on where to find bands with watch type closures. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issues with the clasp.  Very difficult to clasp. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Dinamariea:

Im sorry you are still having problems with the clasp. This is what I do.  I clasp my band before putting it on my wrist. Then I attach one side of the band before I put it on. I place my Alta on my wrist.  Then I attach the other side of the band to the Alta. Did this make sense to you?  I hope so because it takes less than a minute to do it this way.

Myra

Best Answer
Hi there!
Thanks so much for your response, I found a youtube video that explained exactly what you explained and this way was so much easier! I guess we just have to do it this way as it is that much easier!

Thanks again,
Dina
Best Answer

I, too, found it impossible to pinch hard enough to snap the pins into the holes to close the Alta band.  I looked for a band with a buckle instead if snaps/pins and found  the one offered by Fitbit. Seriously!? $30 plus shipping for a single band with a 1-yr warranty. Go to Amazon. I got 10 bands for $10. They claim to be the same material as the Fitbit bands, but even if not, they seem sturdy enough. The clips to attatch to the device work easily, the buckle is easy to close, and I get 10 colors. 

Best Answer
Good idea. I'll try that.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Scootrn2, Love your thinking out of the box idea. I've already bought buckling bands on Amazon, but you've given me a way to make use of the original band, too. Thanks! 

Best Answer
Thank you for the info!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I pinch the prongs in the needed holes with the fit bit unhooked at the face band. Then I clasp it on my wrist.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Target has cute bands that actually close, made by FitBit that actually close like a normal watch band and they are only $14.  I love mine!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for reminding me. I remember sort of seeing something like that near the cashier area when I was cashing out the last time I was in a Target. I was in a huge rush then so, I’ll have to check that out next time I’m in there 🤓 my Alta has finally softened up and is very easy to attach after all this time. I received a Charge 2 as a gift last Christmas so, I’d been using that instead. The thing is, that I really prefer the slimness and low profile of the Alta. I’m back to wearing it again.

SavySam
Best Answer
0 Votes
I will check it out. Still closing it via the base and not the clasp! 🙄
Thank you for the info.
Dina

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds like you are loving your fitbit!

--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Raquela:
I do love my Alta Fitbit & wear it 24/7.  It gets charged when I take a shower.
If I can be of anymore help, just give a hollar.

Myra

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also do it this way : detaching the wrist band from the tracker, clasping at the right spot, and then clicking the wrist band back on. But I was wondering whether this would not wear out the latching mechanism ...

Anyone any idea/experience?

Best Answer
0 Votes

AnnaBoom, I did it that way, too, for a few months. Then the holes I put the pins in all the time relaxed a tiny bit, just enough that I can now snap the pins in with one hand to close the Alta band on my wrist without resorting to using the attachment clasp at the unit to put it on.  So I guess my advice is not to worry about it since you'll soon be able to work the pins to close the band on your arm. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello,
It’s been a few years since I’ve had this Alta. The band has softened up I guess because the metal prongs snap into the holes very easily now. I bought a replacement band on Amazon that came with the buckle type clasp. It was okay but, I found that my wrist would get hung up on things: getting a sweater or shirt on for instance. I like having the excess band to be on the inside. But it did take a long time to soften or stretch those holes out. I used a rat tail comb handle to stretch the holes before I put on the Alta every single time for a really long time. If the original band had been made of a more flexible softer rubber/silicone material and was thinner as well, I’ll bet that most of us wouldn’t have had any problem getting onto our own wrist. I love the device.

Sent from Shelley
Best Answer
0 Votes
Should try the prongs of a fork. Works for days at a time and eventually not needed. Buy all the bands you want.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Doesn't seem to, if you can change bands anyway.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes