Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812
I got the silliest answer from Fitbit. I was afraid if
made the holes bigger they might void my warranty. I did final olive oil the hole and presto.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I have also had problems with the clasp. I have had 2 Fitbit charges with no band problems but one had prongs so loose that it came off in the middle of the night and my puppy ate it! I like the tighter prongs on the Alta but initially were too difficult to get on--- hated to take a morning shower because I had to remove it and fight with it again. Bottom line it does seem to be a bit easier to clasp each time and pushing the clasps against the wrist bone instead of the fleshy part of the wrist seems to help-- be sure to listen for the click--- especially if you have a puppy!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Send it back?

I'd rather the band with the holes be a bit tight,,rather than than sloppy loose and the thing fall off. I was

inconvenienced for about 3 minutes trying to get it on. Now the band trained me on where the prongs

should meet the same holes every time, its like putting the right shoe on the right foot,,

As for buttons,,,,they would be itsy bitsy and we'd have a 3 month discussion about the size. placement,

functionality or lack of operation.

I love mine, it's become a part of me..

Best Answer
I found if I clasp it while it's off my wrist to the correct size, it's easier to unhook one of the clips to remove a strap and snap that back in once it's on my wrist. Then you can just pull the clasp apart to take it back off. I assume after a while it will get looser and easier to hook properly but this method seems to work just fine for now.
Best Answer
Thank you, I'll try that method.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel your pain.  Kinda a toss up of not taking a shower, or removing the Alta.  It's frustrating!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I purchased my Alta with the Black Bsnd and also the optional pink leather band . It's a good think I did  because there's no way that I could even get the blackband fasten it's like hard plastic the stainless steel clasp absolutely will not pop through the holes . When I switched to bands and put the altar on my pink leather band I had absolutely no problem fastening it ! good thing I planned on using the pink leather 99.9% of the time . However when I work out I wanted to use the black plastic band because I didn't want my pink leather to wear and be subject to sweat , water etc.  i'm very disappointed I paid so much money for a product that I can't even use ! 

Best Answer
Thank you gymgiirl! I have been looking for feedback on the leather bands...even though they have same snap system. Do you find the band "secure"? I wish Fitbit would offer a "secure buckle closure" option for the bands. Even as the difficulty of snapping it back on my wrist is decreasing, what does INCREASE is my concern of LOSING the tracker. I'd love to hear opinions regarding the feel and how "secure" users find the snap closure of the leather band. Thanks:sun:
Best Answer
Hello ! Yes absolutely it snaps into place and feels very secure with my leather pink band ! I've worn it every day for the last 2 weeks and have had no issues at all or concerns about it falling off .

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@Ineedsun@xelaito@zoie47@CDP2538 I recommend doing as @MatthewFitbit's lead-in post suggests  of"clasping and unclasping your wristband at least a dozen times using both hands, without wearing it." I think that should help loosen up the holes enough to make it easier.

@Zannie@mugs1937@BJCushing@betsyg@farmwife24@Carolyn44@SunsetRunner@2016gymgirl Another suggestion that you could follow is to add a drop of olive oil like @Gmadiane@speedlady mentioned doing above.

@Vitti@Diamondgirlde It should loosen up after several days of wearing it and clasping it into the same holes everyday.

@Vitti Be careful that the awl doesn't tear the holes, which could make it too loose.

@janet34sail That's why I slide my index finger underneath the wristband and push on the clasp from the outside with my thumb. That usually gets it in for me with not much force.

@dmama1314 Glad that it was an easy process for you! 

@CVG1 Yes, after a few days of wearing it and taking it off and putting it on, it will loosen up the holes to make it much easier to clasp. I also use the suggestion of putting my index finger in the back and then pushing the clasp through with my thumb, as shown here.

@Zannie We currently do not have a date to share as to the release of the Alta stainless steel band, but you can sign up to be notified with updates here.

@SunsetRunner It depends on what wrist you are wearing the Alta. In the image here, the user is wearing the Alta on the left wrist.

@BianchiDoodle Yay! Happy to hear that the suggestions in the lead-in post helped you out. Robot Happy

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

I just got mine today and I've been fighting for the last hour to get it on. I finally did but now I'm afraid it's not going to stay on. i was switching from a Charge HR because of the size but I might just return this and go back to the Charge. Didn't they do any consumer testing? Obviously there are a lot of people with this issue. 

Best Answer

@GracieA Sorry to hear of the trouble you've had with clasping your new Alta. As @MatthewFitbit pointed out in the lead-in post of this thread, it will get easier over time. I also suggest checking out this post in which @MatthewFitbit talks about the improvements we've made to the Alta clasp.

Best Answer

It does get easier. Mine was a bear for the first half-dozen times, but no problem now. It seems really secure....as long as you make sure the clasps "pop" or "snap" in. I think the band is softer than the Charge band is. I'm loving it, once I had a handle on snapping it securely.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SometimesLucy You're right! I can totally hear mine "snap" in to the holes. That tells me that it is secured on. The wristband is extremely confortable on my wrist and I sometimes don't even notice that I am wearing it. Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear you're enjoing it! Robot Happy

Best Answer

Can it be worn more loosely?  In that I mean have the clasp connection be farther back so you can slide the Alta on and off like a bangle bracelet?  Will it still register correctly?

That way there is no clasping/unclasping to shower or other times.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wear mine a little loose sometimes, and it doesn't seem to cause a problem....

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jbjb93@SometimesLucy I recommend wearing the Alta tight enought o not move around on your wrist but loose enough to comfortably fit a finger in between the tracker and your wrist. You can find more about our recommend wearing tips for Alta here and here.

Best Answer
Thanks for the info. I just ordered the pink band. The one that comes with it is worthless.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the Flex, Charge HR and now the Alta. Here is what I did to clasp the band for the Alta and the Flex. I took a Q tip, put a little body oil on it and applied a little to the clasp and snapped on with ease.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have RA and I'm not able to put my Alta on by myself, I'm so disappointed!!

Best Answer
0 Votes