Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

If I wear the bands backwards (holes away from charging port), will this affect the tracker in any way?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I love my Alta except for the wrist band. I've resorted to needle nose pliers but could use 3 hands to make it easier. It took me 20 minutes this morning but I'm not giving up yet!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I tried using a dot of oil this morning and it was much easier.

Patricia Brennan
Best Answer
That's amazing.. Thank you so much. I just tried it and it actually works!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@GracieA@Flopsy2016 Glad to hear that using a small drop of oil helped to get the band clasped. Thanks for sharing your update. Hope you also enjoy the pink band you mentioned ordering.

@Gpostel Sounds like the oil trick worked for you as well! Thanks for sharing!

@goelainego I suggest trying out what @GracieA@goelainego suggested above of putting a drop of oil in the holes and then pushing the clasp through. It sounds like they've experienced success with that trick. 

@dangd2 If you switch the view to vertical, the display will be upside down.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

No.. that would be turning the tracker upside down....

The factory configuration for the Alta is the band with the holes go next to the clip by the charging port, while the band with the hooks/nubs are away from the charging port. What would happen if I reversed that (detach both bands and put the band with the hooks/nubs on the clip closest to the charging port)?

It's okay, I tried it out today. Works fine, and looks like other people had it set this way from a factory error anyways.

Thanks!

@ErickFitbit wrote:

@GracieA@Flopsy2016 Glad to hear that using a small drop of oil helped to get the band clasped. Thanks for sharing your update. Hope you also enjoy the pink band you mentioned ordering.

@Gpostel Sounds like the oil trick worked for you as well! Thanks for sharing!

@goelainego I suggest trying out what @GracieA@goelainego suggested above of putting a drop of oil in the holes and then pushing the clasp through. It sounds like they've experienced success with that trick. 

@dangd2 If you switch the view to vertical, the display will be upside down.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you MatthewFitbit!
Best Answer
0 Votes

The clasp becomes loose very quickly!!
Here's my post via a previous forum; my Alta slipped off my wrist in less than a week. 😞

Very unhappy, and extremely disappointed with the new Alta....!!!!
I had the exact same experience as the previous person who posted her lost Alta; I'm beyond annoyed and unhappy with Fitbit at this time.
In less than a week my Alta slipped off my wrist and disappeared. I called customer service (which is outsourced abroad) and spoke to someone who suggested I try to locate it using the Bluetooth sync option!! Are you kidding me?? Retrace my 10,000+ steps (slowly) with my iPhone sync mode and hope that it connects 'somewhere' in the middle of a city!!! As it happens, I was actually traveling in San Francisco, so I asked for a local corporate number so I could speak to someone directly re: my disappointment in this product, and potential tracking options. Customer service said there is no other contact option, and said I could buy another one with a 25% discount...!!! Again, are you kidding me?? Waste more $$$ on something that obviously has a major design flaw (based on this and other forum reviews)
As a first time Fitbit owner/user, I have to say my experience is that of sheer frustration and utter disappointment.
Truly wish I'd read more reviews and seen this forum last week; I would have made another choice and not purchased the Alta; the clasp/popper seemed fine, but obviously loosens up quickly.... I had the Alta less than a week! 😕

Moderator edit: format.

Best Answer
It's only my 2nd full day of wearing the Alta and already it has come undone 3 times and fallen off today. I'm concerned to wear it outside for fear of losing it all together.
Best Answer

So far so good here. I actually think they cut the band on the Alta a little closer, so it doesn't catch on things so easily. When mine is fastened properly, I can't even make it pop off. But...I think BitBelt makes a product small enough for the Flex, which should fit the Alta. Maybe that would be a solution?

Best Answer
0 Votes
My issue was not with the clasp to put it on my wrist but with where the band connects to the tracker. The metal "clip" broke off and now I cannot get the broken side off. I ordered a new band & customer service does not understand the issue.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a trick I've used with the Flex and a couple other, older FitBit devices with closers similar to the Alta's. Carefully run hot tap water over the holes for a minute or two ... Dry the band ... And SNAP! This seems to make the material a bit more flexible, allowing the clasp to snap securely. I only had to do this for the first week or two. After that, I can easily snap the closure, using two fingers as the Help documents suggest.

A word of warning ----> Don't get the mechanism wet!
Best Answer
I have ordered a lot of different bands for my Fitbit flex and purchased the silicone pieces to slide on to secure the bands better... I have put my flex away and ordered the Alta... Which I love! The silicone pieces slide on easily and makes it secure too. I purchased these through Amazon. Try this and you won't worry about losing your Fitbit period!
Best Answer

@Got2Rock Sorry to hear about your Alta. I reached out to our Support Team and was happy to hear that they were able to help get you back on track. Keep me posted if anything else arises.

@Jjsmum Hmm, are the holes on the wristband stretched out? Most users here are saying that it is too hard to put on as it is a tight squeeze to get through the holes, which makes it hard to come undone as well. If it's too loose and it falls off, I suggest reaching out to our Support Team and sending them pictures to support the claims. Hope that helps.

@AngieBaaBaa I've reached out to our Support Team and they've let me know that someone should be following up with you within the next 24-48 hours to assist you with your broken wristband. Let me know how everything goes.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Thanks Erick; I appreciate your follow up  🙂

As a quick update, customer service finally agreed to replace my Alta.

Seeing as this has been a common design issue, they agreed to send me a new unit at no cost.

After reading various posts and responses, I have ordered the suggested bands from Amazon (in order to prevent future loss via the fastener issue.) Fingers crossed!!!

My advice to anyone else wearing the Alta (or thinking of purchasing one) is get the bands 'BEFORE' wearing the Alta out and about; I had no idea mine would have come undone and slip off!

Thank you fitbit for replacing the unit; my faith in the organization has been restored.  🙂

Best Answer
Can you share a link to these bands? Thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes

These fix the issue and fit the Alta also (from what I understand!)

http://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Fastener-Fitbit-Wristband-clasp-colorful-FITBIT/dp/B00ZWTKFGI/ref=sr_1...

Best Answer
Thank you!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I purchased the Alta a few weeks ago with both colors of the leather bands.  I have mostly been wearing the gray leather band and it is now fallen off over a half a dozen times.  The first few times I thought I potentially did not secure but after the second time of falling off - I am very careful about fastening the band.  I really wish they would put some sort of other fastern on the band to secure it.  There has been times whenOi didn't even notice the fitbit fell off until I noticed it laying on the floor.

Feeling frustrated that I wasting money on the leather bands 😞

Best Answer