Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812
I use s the small silicone sliders that I used on my Fitbit flex( which is retired now) they fit very well with bands on Alta. Makes you feel SO much better. I use 2-3 and different colors. I bought through Amazon!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree... it seems to be an issue with previous FitBits too, so I'm not sure why FitBit hasn't changed the design of these clasps or at least include a fastener in these newer versions. I do't mind buying a third party fastener, but it defeats the entire purpose of having a fashionable leather band if I have a neon color fastener... 

Best Answer

Thank you everyone for the suggestion on the silicone sliders.  I still am very frustrated that I spent $120 (both leather bands) and need to buy something in addition to prevent my fitbit from falling off 😞

Best Answer
You'll like the colors on Amazon!! They are fun to mix and match. Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I think what Joylynne3 is trying to say is there's no point in buying extra
bands for an extra cost because you'll keep paying more on top of that for
clasps that don't match. I myself would prefer not to have random colors on
the leather bands I am wearing to work in a professional setting...
Best Answer

I also don't want to have to buy something extra.  I switched from the Charge HR to the Alta because I wanted something more low key and professional.  Also not so manly looking.  Adding something additional to keep the band on is not what I want to do.

I may look into some of the 'jewelry' that fits on the band since the grey leather is such an awful color.  At least I could have something to change/add that would be professional.  As none of the other band colors are low key, and the silver is only available in small.

Best Answer

i found a solution to getting the band on easily........  i put hot water in a cup and dipped the  band with the holes in it  and I was able to get it on easily   before I couldnt do it  I tried 50 times and couldnt do it   this was easy

Best Answer

I was having the same problem and nearly getting a bruise from pushing so hard to get the prongs to snap in.

Then I put coconut oil on it.  Snapped like a breeze !

@Vitti wrote:

I am sorry you're having this issue but I am glad I'm not alone. I waited over a month to get the new Alta and was very happy when it arrived but I'm having the same difficulty with the wrist band. I have tried to push the prongs through the holes with quite a bit of force but was unsuccessful. I had my husband try the same thing while the Alta was off the wrist and even he could not do it and he is a pretty strong person. I have been writing the Fitbit support staff and they have been very nice but I don't tbink I'll be able to keep the product. I  am very disappointed.

Fitbitless,

Sabina

Best Answer

@Got2Rock You're welcome! Glad to hear that you were able to get some help from our Support Team. I know they try their best to get everyone back on track.

@joylynne3 If you continue to experience issues with the bands, I recommend reaching out to our Support Team and letting them know as much detail about your experience and they will provide you some further assistance.

@dangd2 @Jbjb93 While the style of the clasp is indeed similar to that of Flex and Charge, it's worth noting that it has been redesigned based on customer feedback from those products. The physical latch is much more secure, and easier to connect. The band also does not extend past the clasp, so there isn't anything to "catch" and pull the tracker off your wrist. We know that the security of the clasp was an issue for some customers in the past, and have taken steps to make sure Alta improves things.

@juliegf @sb_822 Thanks for your suggestions! Glad to hear that you were able to get the clasp secured. With time, it should become easier to put on.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

In the meantime, I'll keep using the coconut oil as long as I have to, but I will order the metal braclet when it's available, which should be around April 18.  I also have the Fitbit Charger HR, but I do like the Alta better for it's slimness and the fact that it has successfully blue-toothed my contacts and works very  well for notification of phone calls and text messages.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would save your money. Mine lasted 5 days before the band stretched out and I lost it. Why it was designed the way it is is beyond me. I don't know what I was thinking keeping this device. Step count also wasn't accurate, but at least it was lower than I actually walked. Save your money!
Best Answer
So sorry for you
Best Answer
0 Votes
When I try clasping the Alta the same way as all the other fitbits like from the pictures...my display is upside down?? I can't find a way to switch it so my Alta is upside down but the display is correct...what can I do?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Marycm,

Sorry to hear you lost your Alta. That possibility has concerned me since the time I received mine.

Snapping in the closures is much easier now, but unfortunatelly that advantage only increases my worry of losing the tracker.

Last week when I was carrying my Yoga mat I switched arms to carry it and my Alta band unsnapped. I was fortunate to have noticed. So far I still have it.

The lack of a safe and secure closure for the band is the only issue I have with my ALTA product. I love the tracker and I don't want to lose it thanks to this faulty "snap on" closure system. I read similar comments from owners of  previous Fitbit trackers which use "same"  snap system. Not fun to lose your device that way.  I join the many customers who are asking for the old but proven "Bucke System" for the wristbands. 

I really hope Fitbit would offer in the very near future a "buckle system option" for the wristbands. Through the forum I requested feedback on the leather bands. Apparently the quality is not up to standard for the price. So I'll wait. They don't offer much specs about  the stainless option. I wonder if is secure. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Osgood! I experienced the same when I got my Alta tracker so I can relate to what you went through. What I noticed is that after a few times it was easier for me to clasp it like @WendyB said. Most likely the material gave in and it wasn't that hard to press the pegs into the holes. 

I also found this post that @MatthewFitbit shared on the Alta board which provides great tips on how to put on the Alta. Hopefully you still have your tracker so you can give it a try.

Let me know how it goes. Robot wink

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes
@Zannie - I also have arthritic fingers. The warm water method worked for me. I soak the band in hot tap water, being careful not to get the Fitbit unit wet. Soak it for five minutes. Dry it well. Then snap it on. It took two weeks, but now I can snap my Alta on my own! You may want to give this a try. Hopefully it will work for you!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Do you have to do this every time?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Elismith You can swap the bands to go on whichever side is more comfortable for you to wear the Alta on. 

I personally wear the Alta on my right wrist. This means, the band that has the clasp goes on the side with no charging port while the band with no clasp goes on the side with the charging port. The top of the tracker has a charging port and should be on the outside or top of your wrist. If you need more assistance, check out this help article.

@Michfit Thanks for your feedback! I will make sure to pass it along to the appropriate team. Currently, there is no word on if we will be releasing a buckle and tang clasp but if I hear anything, I will make sure to let you all know.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
I did it twice, and now it's much easier to snap it on !
Best Answer

Hi,

I wear the leather bands for work and classic bands when i workout in the evening. With the constant switching of bands, i noticed that there's a slight gap between the tracker and my leather bands. Is this normal? Also, will the leather bands become loose in long-term?

Best Answer
0 Votes