Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

Is there a method to gettting the Alta fasten on your arm?  I just received mine today and cannot get it the knobs thru the holes.  They are too small.  If not, then I need to retrun too much trouble trying to get on alone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am completely in agreement.  I couldn't wait for the less bulky tracker.  I have been working with this strap - find it impossible to get on.  I do not have the time to wrestle with it each morning.  I am a nurse and have to wear a watch with a second hand - I looked at the Alta as a perfect solution for a tracker to "layer" along side my watch.  I am not sure the Blaze will be able to double for a true watch and tracker as most of these type devises power off too quickly.  Perhaps the leather strap is easier - however I am not willing to spend more on an experiment.  So, I am returning this tracker.  I am very disappointed.  Part of my job role is to encourage patients to exercise - I have gotten all of them connected with fitbit and have them set up in accountability groups. Now, I have to figure out what tracker to use. 

Fitbit - you have a great platform and I love your company.  I would encourage you keep listening to us.  As in my field in healthcare - anytime we put needless barriers in place - compliance diminishes.  If we cannot get our trackers on - we will not wear them.  This clasp has been a longtime problem -

Keep at it and helps us.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the same problem and suggest Fitbit do a strap like a normal watch one
Best Answer

Yes! It is very hard to clasp. 

@zoie47 wrote:

I have been having a terrible time snapping them in! No problem with it coming off. I may send it back as I am having to pound the crap out of it to get info.

Best Answer

It's nice to have you here in the Community @MSVEE @CoachDeb! Putting on the tracker might be a bit of a challenge, however, my recommendation is to try to soften the band holes by inserting the pegs in the holes using both of your hands without putting the tracker on your wrist. Just do it several times so the holes can give in.

@CoachDeb Thank you very much for giving your feedback. I'm glad to hear you love our company and our concept and I appreciate you for putting the good word out there. Believe me when I say that Fitbit does take its customer's comments to heart and try to improve. If you continue having a difficult time putting on the Alta after trying my recommendations, please contact customer support so they can further assist.

Let me know how it goes.

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had my Alta for about 5 days now and it is much easier to put on now than it was the first few times. Keep working at it! Try clasping the band a few times with the tracker not on your wrist to loosen the holes. It's worth it, really!

Best Answer

I'm glad to hear that @Bgailr312! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Welcome aboard! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. I went ahead and returned the Atla - recharged my old device and will have a watch on one and a Fitbit on the other...I will keep promoting your company. Y'all are terrific. Your platform matters....
Thank you
Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate your reply @CoachDeb. Thank you for letting me know of what you did and for your preference. 

Have a blessed day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sooooo very frustated with this band and the impossible clasp.  I'm not absolutely certain, but think I am likely correct, that this fitbit alta is the first wrist-worn device in the history of wrist-worn devices to come with a how-to video instruction for attaching the device to one's arm.  Except, of course, the fitbit alta did not come with the how-to video.  I only discovered the video after having spent about two hours searching message boards and first discoverying frequent comments (complaints?) by other fitibit alta owners who similarly struggle to attach a fitbit alta to a wrist.  And notwithstanding the video, sooooo difficult to put this on.  And not only because I don't have easy access to extra virgin olive oil as a lubricant. 

But really, Fitbit.  When you were creating a video to help the multitudes put the device on, you didn't once consider the possibility that your band may not be well designed?  

Back to my Garmin.

Best Answer
Mine fit well from first day on! No oil, no hot water etc. so sorry for all of you that complain
Best Answer
I close the clasp off my wrist push it with my nail. Then I remove the band (like your gonna change bands) only one end. Put the Alta on and close the band by the actual device.
Best Answer

That is actually a really clever idea SunsetRunner! Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You've gotten the same response already, but it does get easier.  At first, I was like "WTH?!".  Now it's much easier.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

So true @Candace66 Robot Embarassed, just edited my reply. I'm glad you also tried this suggestion and found it easier to put on the tracker.

Welcome to the community!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for your support and suggestions. I ended up returning it and recharged my Charge. I am back to wearing devices on both wrists. A watch (must have - I am an RN) and the Fitbit. Hopefully as this wonderful company fine tunes devices I will have more choices.
I know I am in a strange position and my issue isn't a common one. Believe in the company! Keep moving!
Best Answer

@CoachDeb Thank you for your reply and for being such a loyal Fitbit customer Heart. I'm glad that you will continue in this experience with your Charge tracker, I'm sure it will help you reach your goals. Robot Happy

Any other questions or comment, please let me know. Happy stepping!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you think this is a trick to get us to buy more wristbands?  I've only had my Alta for a day but I think I've stopped my pulse and developed arthritis trying to put it on.  I'm going to try the oil suggestion.

Best Answer
The hot water solution worked for me. One week,of soaking the hole end in hot tap water loosened it to the point that I was able to snap the Alta on to my wrist with my forefinger under the band, pressing the top with my thumb.

I really recommend trying this. I have severe degenerative althritis in both hands. If I can close the clasp, I'm confident you will be able to, too, after trying the hot water trick.
Best Answer

You made me laugh! I have a black and blue on my wrist!

Best Answer