Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

Thank you. I will try this tip!

Best Answer

Same thing here.  I can't get the band to snap.  I cannot get it to snap when it is off my wrist; so there is no way I can get it to losen up even a tiny bit.  So I guess it is going back....

Best Answer
0 Votes
Carol7777 - stay with it. I will get easier. Put some coconut oil or olive oil on the strap one time - that seems to make the holes a bit looser.
Best Answer
I've sat and worked with it for several hours, with the olive oil. My
fingers are bruised and painful from trying. I'll try again tomorrow I guess.
It is just so frustrating.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Carol77777 - it shouldn't be that difficult. Are you sure that you have the
2 ends of the bands completely straight on top of each other and holes
lined up ?
Best Answer

@juliegf Yay! Glad it's becoming easier to clasp with multiple days of usage.

@Amy8 Do you have a picture so I can see what is going on?

@melai @nancyb106 @wiscokid @mccolin @Carol77777 During which part of the clasping process are you running into issues? I recommend checking out the tips in this post and also trying out @SunsetRunner's suggestion here.

@Carol77777 Were you able to try the oil tip? Have you tried @juliegf's suggestions above? Keep me posted.

Everyone -- Check out this video below for instructions on clasping the Alta. Hope this is useful!

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

IMG_8315[1].JPG

@ErickFitbit

@Amy8 Do you have a picture so I can see what is going on?

@ErickFitbit not sure if you can see it clearly but there's a noticeable gap between the leather strap and tracker. Thanks

IMG_8317[1].JPG

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I tried the oil and the two ends of the bands are straight.  I cannot clasp it together even when it is OFF my wrist.  I will try the hot water idea next.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have arthritis and it makes it hard to close the wristband.  I had to have my husband do it for the first few days.  The good news is that I fiddled with it while it was off, and it has loosened up over the week I've had it so that I can do it myself now.  Still, I think a better design for arthritic hands is needed.  (I'm afraid to change wristbands!!)  I may try the olive oil trick and see how that works. 

Best Answer

@Amy8 Looks normal to me. Is there an issue with the band coming off while not pushing on the button on the underside of the wristband?

@Carol77777 I recommend using someone's help like @crb55 mentioned doing, as clasping and unclasping a couple of times should make it easier and easier to do. Also, let me know how the hot water tip works out for you. Thanks for your effort in trying it on, just make sure you're not hurting yourself while trying. I don't want that happening.

@crb55 Thanks for your honest opinion and feedback, I will make sure to pass that along to our product team. I feel like the leather bands are easier to clasp when new as the leather material is a lot softer, would you agree @Amy8? Keep me posted on how the olive oil tip works out.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@Osgood
That's a definite NO regarding the shower. Do not wear it in the shower. Like @betsyp, I wear mine at night to track my sleep. When I shower in the morning, I take it off and charge the device. This seems to work well for me.
Best Answer
That's what I do too. Many times it's not ready to charge.
Best Answer
I think that I've made it clear and don't need to photo any step of this.
I cannot clasp it off my wrist. Either the holes are too small or I am a
weakling. I have sat on the couch a few hours trying to clasp it and have
bruised my fingers doing so. I feel like an idiot because I don't think
something like this should be so hard to do. I have tried the olive oil and
hot water. Nothing helps.
Best Answer

@Carol77777 Sorry to hear about the trouble and thank you for your effort in trying to get it clasped. I don't want you to hurt yourself. I will make sure to pass along your feedback to our product team.

At this point, I recommend reaching out to our Support Team who I am confident will be able to provide you with some further options. Please let our team know of your efforts so they're aware of what you've already attempted. Again, thanks for your effort and let me know how it goes when you reach out.

Best Answer
I actually push against my wrist... You'll get used to it.. Then use the silicone bands to secure! This is what I actually do everyday. Best to you
Best Answer
NO. Keep working on it!!
Best Answer

I just got my new Alta after wearing a Jawbone for years.  The band is IMPOSSIBLE to put on.  I m pushing down as hard as possible and even asking for help and the studs just do not go through.  I called customer care and they told me to undo the band each time.  Considering I shower twice a day and can not shower with it I find it very annoyting and time consuming.  Is there a trick?   I spent over 20 mins trying to put it on

Best Answer
Rub oil on the holes. Read that trick on here. It really helps. It does get easier but on new band just a little oil helped..
Best Answer
I was having a hard time, too, but your advice of snapping the top one first then the other one worked great!

Best Answer
BRILLIANT. Your solution should be part of the Fitbit packaging!
Best Answer