Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FitBit Alta band breaking

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but this is the second Alta band I've gone through in only about 6 months now. They both start to come up on the side of the Alta itself, and after a couple weeks of that they just tear off completely. The first one I thought might have happened just because I was wearing the device on a snug setting, but this one I have worn slightly looser than I like and it's still breaking. Any advice?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Having the same issue...I wear mine EVERYDAY! I have had it longer than 6 months, but not sure what the longevity is with these bands. I just noticed that mind was starting to come up, but this is not unusual for me. I have had 3 different fitbit devices and each have had the same issue. I guess that's just how they are made. Thankfully you can buy a pack of these bands on Amazon. I just ordered a 12 pack for $19.99. They came in different colors too, so that way if you switch them out often you probably will not have the problem of them going out as easily. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
86 REPLIES 86

Sorry Cant help. I have had no problems with the band I have. I do follow the product guidelines

https://www.fitbit.com/productcare

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to see new faces around @TaylorBurroughs!

I totally understand your frustration and the hard that this might caused you. Fitbit is always trying to improve their products and services and your voice is being heard. I agree with @WendyB in contacting the Support Team, they'll be more than happy to assist you. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

No, support won't help you, unfortunately. And, yes Taylor, everyone will eventually have this problem because it's a substandard design. If it's not too late to get your money back, I would HIGHLY suggest that. 

They'll send you another band that they know is going to fail in a matter of weeks/months or they'll offer you 25-30 percent off of a new product, which will likely fail in one way or another.

Just went through this.

Best Answer

Hey there @Ab3_Froman

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, Fitbit is always trying to improve their products and services.

Even though you have received a band replacement before if you are experiencing this inconvenience again I recommend contacting the Support Team they'll be more than happy to assist you. . 

Keep me posted! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same issue and have recieved one replacement band.  Just like you say, my replacement band is beginning to come loose again and I am sure it will break just like the other one.

While I recognize that support will help by sending a new band, this does not fix the root cause and my assumption is that once my device is no longer under warranty, it will be up to me to purchase new bands on a regular basis, as they fall apart.

This is not acceptable practice. I would like Fitbit to be honest about this issue and communicate with their customers about their plans to make it right.

Best Answer

Man you guys are dense. I DID contact support and they told me there is nothing they can do. Just send me bands until my device is no longer under warranty, and then it's my problem. THIS IS A BAD PRODUCT. THE BANDS WILL ALWAYS FAIL BECAUSE ITS A BAD DESIGN. Your "support" was no help at all. All I can do now is warn people not to get mixed up with a shady company that doesn't stand behind their products. That's you, by the way. I know how dense you guys are so I figured I should say it...it's you. 

Best Answer

You're absolutely right Jess. That's exactly what they're going to do. I've been posting reviews on every site I can think just to warn people. Next stop is BBB. 

Best Answer

Having the same issue...I wear mine EVERYDAY! I have had it longer than 6 months, but not sure what the longevity is with these bands. I just noticed that mind was starting to come up, but this is not unusual for me. I have had 3 different fitbit devices and each have had the same issue. I guess that's just how they are made. Thankfully you can buy a pack of these bands on Amazon. I just ordered a 12 pack for $19.99. They came in different colors too, so that way if you switch them out often you probably will not have the problem of them going out as easily. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So the accepted solution is for the buyer to purchase more bands?  It seems that the company's fix to this issue on their older models was to make it possible to replace the bands on newer models, so people would then need to purchase bands to solve a known product defect...

I would have never purchased a fitbit had I known they had such a bad design.  Lesson learned is to always do your research before purchasing a product...sigh.

Best Answer

I had the exact same issue. I purchased my Alta in March 2016, had a band replaced under warranty in August 2016 and just had another band replaced in March 2017. Now my warranty is expired and it will be money out of my pocket from here on to fix it. 

Other than this issue I really like my Alta, I was considering purchasing the Alta HR, but if it has this problem as well I don't know if I can justify the expense. 

Best Answer

It is strange, i had Alta for almost a year, i was wearing my Fitbit every day, however never had an issue with the band. Now i own Alta HR and the band is perfect too 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EditaAlta I think it is only an issue if you take the bands off and on frequently. 

I play volleyball and I'm not allowed to have the wristband on during matches so I have to take it apart to keep the tracker itself on my person and still get steps. 

This might also happen if you are changing to different color wristbands often. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have never changed the band (except when i get a replacement from falling apart) and never take the band off, still on my 4th replace in maybe 1 1/2 years...

Best Answer

I've had my Fitbit Alta for 9 months and my strap is coming away on both sides of the screen!! I'm in South Africa and have looked everywhere for a replacement strap, tried to order from the Fitbit website, even looked for one when I visited the largest mall in the world in Dubai and still no luck getting a replacement strap!!! Clearly there is no support for this product if you buy it outside of the US! I wish I had know about this before I spent so much money on a substandard product.

Best Answer
Best Answer

Thank you for the link.

Best Answer
0 Votes

37D76B41-4F1F-4E13-A5CE-1F33858B192A.jpeg

I have some authentic bands that i am selling, they are small size. I dont have the traker anymore, so i dont need them.

Best Answer

I'm on my 2nd official fit bit band - lucky for me the lifting/separation issue occurred on the opposite 1/2 of the band so I still have a band I can wear (albiet 2-tone) but <6 months performance is sub-optimal for a band that is priced at $50... The knock-offs are a fraction of this price and last the same time

Best Answer

I never thought to ask for a replacement - what do they need to approve this?

Best Answer
0 Votes