Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Alta dies while battery full

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

8 hours after being fully charged, Alta synced and said "Battery Full".  Then within minutes, it died, with a green full battery sign and blinking ((.)) sign.

The only way to revive it is to recharge it, but the problem repeats.

The problem apparently occurred suddenly.  The tracker has been restarted multiple times, but the issue not resolved.

Dying battery for a tracker used for a little over a year?

Very frustrating... who wants to buy it if the battery will not last and cannot be replaced?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

Do these steps before contacting support and let them know you have done them.

Please clean the contacts
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/My-tracker-s-battery-isn-t-charging/?q=not+chargi...

Then Do a Restart
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186/?q=restart&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Also See this thread for charging best practices. If you are not charging it correctly you could be damaging the battery
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge/Fitbit-charge-battery-problems/m-p/1323307#M53291

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1799

If that does not help contact support
http://help.fitbit.com/?cu=1

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Same is happening to me I bought it brand new almost a year ago fully charged was out walking there onlt 2k steps done and it died. Just plugged it in to charge and battery is full? Very frustrating!

Best Answer

Mine is less than a month old and this has happened three times already 

Best Answer

My Alta has recently starting doing exactly the same thing as above. Just randomly turns itself off, although there is battery left. I've been in contact with support, reset and followed their instructions and the same thing happen again this morning. It's so frustrating as support keep going on about checking the battery but it's not a battery issue. It won't actually turn on again until I do plug it In but then shows full battery straight away. Is it a software issue, as surely the exact same thing shouldn't be happening to so many people over such a long time (noticed posts from 2016 with the SAME issue) 

Best Answer

Same issue here. Barely used it, then stopped using it for about a year, just charged it up 2 days ago, within hours it was dead, plugged it into the charger, battery indicated life, let it charge a full 100%, unplug, 15 min later it won't turn on, plug it back in, battery at about 75% sync it to the app. which says the battery is "medium", few minutes later, dead again. 

Seems to only way to turn it back on is to plug it in but it doesn't stay on and the battery is rapidly depleting. 

I followed all of the steps that are posted everywhere, nothing works! 

Best Answer

Has this issue been resolved? Mine started having this issue a few months ago, did not use it for a while and now, I contacted support and was told that my warranty ran out 2 months ago. Extremely frustrating. I didn’t realize I was buying a disposable gadget. 

Best Answer

I think it’s a software issue. I just started having problems with mine about two weeks ago. It wouldn’t sync with the app unless I restarted it but restarting it would drain the battery to zero. Now it won’t hold a charge, won’t sync to the workweek hustle correctly and it won’t track my treadmill time. All of this started with the latest update. 

Best Answer

The same problem is happening to mine. Charged the Alta Tuesday night then by Friday it was dead? 

Best Answer

Hi @Stephanievans nice to see you on the Fitbit Forums, welcome!

Did you tried the suggested steps above? I'm very interested in keep assisting you, please keep me posted on the resolution.

I'll be around.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes. I have tried everything. Fitbit was on 89% last night, it died at 9am this morning. Currently trying to charge up. 
is there a fault and/or reason why it’s doing this? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having a problem with the alta too. It keeps losing charge. Battery was on 89% last night and died this morning. Been charging since 6pm and nothing happening. Is there a reason / fault in why it’s only recently started doing this??

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having a problem with my Alta too. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same problem with my alta too 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Stephanievans 

I moved all your post pertaining to your charging issue of your Alta here to avoid confusion within the forum. I see here you are currently working with both a moderator as well as a community council here under this post. Making multiple post can cause conflicts and confusion. Thank you your understanding.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great thank you. The Fitbit is also not syncing and on the iPhone it’s saying device not found??

Best Answer

Mine just started two days ago and I’ve had it maybe 6 months. It shows fully charged yet won’t sync and if it does it shows battery much lower than on the actual fit bit. I’ve tried following everything provided in here and I’m sad to say within hours it’s still doing the same thing. I’m reliant on it and can’t use it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue.  My Alta is a little bit over one year. I have to plug it a few times during the day to have it restarted.  If I don't use it for a couple of days, the date remains as per the last day I wore it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has just started happening to me.

It charges just fine. The problem is not anything to do with charging.

But then an hour or two later I'll check my steps and the device is totally dead.

When I reattach it to the charger, it charges up again. 

Please help 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

@altaisdead : I have the same problem.  Called tech support and they could only offer 25% off new product purchases since im well outside warranty.

Sounds like this is a death sentence for the Alta.

If anyone finds a fix, please let me know!!

Best Answer