Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Alta won't reset

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I have tried both in my phone & my computer. I press the button 3 times within eight seconds while briefly pausing like the directions say to but the screen does not show the Fitbit logo & it's still charging. How can I reset my Fitbit if this is not working?
Best Answer
97 REPLIES 97

Welcome to the Community @robynleighton! I hope you're doing great! 

Let me help you out, What happened to your tracker? what type of issue are you experiencing? in order to restart it double check you're following these steps:

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any USB power adapter.

2. Insert the other end of the cable into the port on the back of your Fitbit Alta. Your Alta will begin charging.

3. Press the button on your charging cable three times within eight seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. 

4. Eight seconds after the first button press, you'll see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This means Alta is restarting.

5. After you see the logo you can unplug your tracker from the charging cable.

Catch you later! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

Was this ever resolved? My Alta did not reset overnight. I've followed these steps multiple times this morning and it will not reset my steps back to zero. 

Best Answer

Mine won't reset either. Did you figure out how to do it!  Please let me know! 

Best Answer

My IOS App is continually "looking" for my Alta. I tried the restart instructions that you just restated about ten times to no effect. Are there no other fixes? Did the original poster ever get hers working?

Best Answer

I have tried reseting my tracker,just like it says and it will not reset,is there anything else I can try?

Best Answer

My Alta doesn't restart either. Tried the steps multiple times, varying the length of time I wait between pressing the button. The battery flashes each time, so I know it's registering my button pushes, but I never get the Fitbit logo.

My original issue is that it won't sync yesterday or the day before. Usually I sync every day, but this time I waited a couple of days. It continues to look like it's syncing but never ever completes. I've followed all of the other steps to fix syncing, to no avail.

The only other thing I can think to try is to let it run completely out of batteries before plugging it in again. Assuming that would do the same thing as a restart. I'll let y'all know if that works.

Best Answer

I don't think letting it run out of batteries did anything because it never completely ran out -- always at least had the ability to show me that I was out of batteries, and then I realized that if I let it go out completely, it might lose what it had in memory.

So I tried the reset and got it to work. The trick is to do the reset not within the 8 seconds that the instructions say, but within about 2 seconds. Once I did it as fast as I could, I finally got the logo. Fitbit is now syncing. Yay!

Best Answer

I have been trying for days to reset according to directions and suggestions and its just not happening. Occasionally it appears the reset worked, but then nothing. The tracker is fully charged.

Best Answer

I have the exact same trouble!  My fitbit started having trouble syncing a few months ago.  Tech support was able to help me get synced again by turning off phone Bluetooth, rebooting phone, resetting Alta, then turning on Bluetooth. It used to be that the app would show todays steps, but the days before was gone.  I've always had trouble resetting my Alta so varying the length of time between button pushes sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.  Since the length of time between button pushes is never the same, I cant find the pattern.  Today it just wont reset at all and I've tried as many variations of button pushes as I can think of. UGGGGG

Best Answer

Mine wouldn't restart lately either. I cleaned the contacts on my Fitbit where the charger connects to my Fitbit, and tried again. First try and the logo appeared.

Best Answer

I was having the exact same problem.  I synch my Alta to my Android phone.  I restarted my phone, turned the bluetooth back on and then it synched successfully.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I noticed it wasn’t syncing this morning, so I tried to reset and nothing happened. I plugged into my computer; still nothing. But when I sa your tip, I cleaned the back of my Alta, and presto! First try, it reset! 

Thank you!

Best Answer

Thank you JoyShafer! Using the quick method you suggested I finally got my Fitbit to reset! 😆

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem. There is no buttone to press on my cable. My Altra was a gift last Christmas.

Sheila

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was having the same issues with no syncing and not being able to get my Alta HR to restart. I tried this, pushing the button three times very quickly within about two seconds, and it restarted! It still won't sync, though. I unpaired the Alta from my Bluetooth, and now it won't re-pair.

Best Answer

This answer is all over the forums, and it still does not work.  Pressing three times in eight seconds, over and over again repeatedly does not work.  It just doesn't.  Give a better answer, or give me my money back.

Best Answer
I finally got it to reset by pressing the button three times, as quickly as possible (no pauses). It didn't work on my first attempt at that, but it did on the second or third attempt. I hope this helps!
Best Answer

fitbit screen is working when plugged in to the charger but wont reset and when take off charger screen doesnt show 

Best Answer

I have tried several times to reset my Fitbit Alta. It’s 1 year old. What should I do. I have to charge it every other day. It will not reset. I have cleaned the contacts. 

Best Answer