Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Alta display not working unless charging

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Collected new Fitbit Alta for my wife as replacement for Zip.

Fully charged, recording steps and syncing on the app, but display doesn't work when you double tap unless it's connceted via charging cable.

I've reset numerous times following suggestions on this forum and will be contacting customer services when they reopen in the week.

Have I missed anything? Why does the display work when plugged in, but not when on my wrist?

Help - frustrated 😞

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Tried troubleshooting and tapping variances and Fitbit support took me throguh the rpocess again. Product being replaced and will try the new Alta 😊

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

...while you are waiting for customer service Nick, try tapping at different speeds in the center of your display while your alta is on your wrist.  The cadence does make a difference, once you find it, it is obvious; but the first time a bit alien. If too slow, the Alta senses  a single tap, if too fast it senses a single tap.  If quick view gesture in your setup is activated in dashboard set up (gray'd gear upper right, click on icon of your Alta) your screen can also be activated by flicking your wrist up sharply, any action there?  To get you a step ahead, customer service will ask you if you have tried a tracker reset - here's that procedure so you can study ahead even though you indicated you have already tried a few times;)

Let us know how it goes.

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the tip ... trying and will kepp going and see what Customer Services say 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tried troubleshooting and tapping variances and Fitbit support took me throguh the rpocess again. Product being replaced and will try the new Alta 😊

Best Answer

My does the same thing do I need to buy a replacement fitbit?

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing as everyone else, reset doesn't work and it is out of warranty. Sounds like it is time to buy an Apple watch and forget about Fitbit forever! 

Best Answer

Hi just setting up Alta for my daughter and it is fully charged and screen on when on charger but not doing anything when off charge. I’ve done all the resets and managed to sync it to phone but screen still blank!! It’s very annoying I have a Alta hr and had no problems with it so purchased this to get my daughter more active!! Has anyone any ideas x

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing directly off the shelf.  Super annoying.  Contacted customer service.

Best Answer

Me too. Awaiting a response from customer services. Followed all suggestions and bought a new charger???

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are already here, you know this product is not great. By evidence of the MANY complaints of this nature with this device, clearly it is faulty. If you are here doing research, let me save you some time..

DON'T BUY THE ALTA. Bought mine as a Christmas present in 2016. Have used it VERY little. Not a daily wearer. The thing just stopped working (unless plugged into a charger) and...since I don't want to wear a charger around all day, this product is virtually useless. Fitbit was interested in helping me, by offering a 25% discount on a new one. Gee thanks! Let me throw some more money at making this thing work properly. Not sure what other product I may find to replace it but, very likely it won't be a Fitbit...

You have been warned. Good luck with YOUR purchase or your current troubles with the Alta you own. Based on all the reviews and problems here, my guess is you'll be in the same boat.

Best Answer

I had the same problem with the Alta: the battery appeared to be fully charged, tapping and syncing worked while charging, but they stopped working immediately after unplugging. The problem for me was with the battery. Probably because it stayed not charged for a while the display showing how much it charged was broken. The solution is to keep it connected to the charger for a long time (e.g. 24h). For me, this solved the problem, and both tapping and syncing now work without the tracker being plugged in.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I"m going to try this 24hr charge and hopefully it'll work for me. My Alta has been sitting unused for months since it stopped working off the charger. Frankly i don't want to purchase a new Fitbit as i'm not happy with the lifespan of this current device (faulty after only 1.5 years of use).

Best Answer

Me too - 06/30/2020.  It's only 2 years old.

Best Answer

I agree. Apple is the way to go.  Done with Fitbit - not shelf life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just another voice repeating how customer service is essentially "restart your tracker; if that doesn't work buy another one." I didn't use the 25% discount within 30 days, so when I called again later I was told they couldn't even offer the discount, much less fix any problems. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did the 24 hour charge work for you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Opened my alta for the first time.  It only works when charging 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nothing worked for me. I ended up returning it and getting the Inspire instead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Something smells fishy because if you tap the Alta while on the charger to wake it up then continue tapping while removing from the charger, it will continue to work off the charger as long as you don't let it go back to sleep.  Seems like someone decided to make us buy new trackers.

Best Answer