Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App crashes when accessing app gallery/clock faces - RESOLVED w/2.75

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 7/26

Hi, everyone!

I have a great update for you all. Today we released the Fitbit for Android app, version 2.75. This app version resolves the app gallery/clock faces crash. Please update the app! Once you've updated, please let me know if you're still experiencing an app crash. 

Thanks so much for patiently waiting while we worked on and released the fix. We're always striving to improve the Fitbit app experience and your feedback is always appreciated. 

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for reporting this app crash with Android that started with 2.72 and is now still happening on 2.73. I'd like to inform you all that this has been escalated to our team for investigation. 

To help us investigate, if you could please provide the following it would help us out:

• Phone you're using (Samsung Galaxy S8) 
  • The Android OS your phone is running (Ex. 4.4.4)
  • App version you are on (current version is 2.73)

Thanks so much for your help and patience! Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
80 REPLIES 80

I updated to 2.72 and when I tap on Apps or Clocks the app now crashes. I tried force stopping the app and rebooting the phone (Moto G) and Versa and it made no difference. Anyone else seeing this? In the mean time I went back to 2.71 where this works fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@StarkRaven Hey, there!

Thanks for reporting this app crash on version 2.71. I will have this escalated for review. Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got my versa today and I'm having the same problem!

Best Answer

@AlessFitbit wrote:

@StarkRaven Hey, there!

Thanks for reporting this app crash on version 2.71. I will have this escalated for review. Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime. 

@AlessFitbit - The problem wasn't with 2.71, it was after I upgraded to 2.72 that this started. I uninstalled 2.72 and went back to 2.71 and it was fine again.

Update:

I saw that 2.72.1 was available already and tried that hoping this error was fixed. Nope - same crash. I clicked on 'Report' to send this in to your app team and went back to 2.71 again where this still works.

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

Versa firmware is 32.32.10.15

App version is 2.72.1

Using a Samsung Galaxy 5.  Android version 4.4.2.  Phone is up to date.

While using the mobile app, anytime I try to access the clock faces or apps in for the phone inside the mobile app, the mobile app crashes.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app.  I've restarted the phone.  I've turned the phone off and on again and then installed the app. 

Everything else in the app seems to work okay: just when I try to access apps.   Further, Versa will take clock face changes from an app on my laptop.

Update:

Oh, and now the Versa isn't found by either the Fitbit app or my phone's bluetooth. 

I'm so disappointed in this experience.  Right out the box and I'm already experiencing issues that're making the device nearly useless.  Smiley Sad

Update:

Spent about 20 minutes with an agent on chat support.

Best solution I got was to get a different phone or wait for a new version of the app. 

Really helpful.  Smiley Sad

Update:

Tried playing around with Bluetooth.  My phone sees the Versa and all other devices.  If I try to pair the Versa with bluetooth, now I get an "error: unable to communicate with Versa" message.  F r u s t r a t e d

Best Answer

I'm having this problem too, and nothing I've done so far (force stopping the fitbit app, reinstalling it, restarting the phone) has fixed it

Best Answer
0 Votes

Version 2.72.1 installed again yesterday on my Moto G automatically when I updated a different app. So I tried getting into Clocks and Apps again and still got the error. However, this time I went to my System Settings/Apps on the Android and cleared the cache and that seemed to work for me. However, I still reverted back to 2.71 for now as I know that was working OK for me. You might try clearing the cache, though, if you haven't before.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately clearing the cache didn't work and the app still crashes when I try to access clock faces or apps. Thanks though!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Clearing the cache, clearing data and reinstalling didn't work for me either.  Can anyone tell me how to revert back to a previous version?  I am currently also on 2.72.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can go back to an earlier version (at your own risk, of course). Look up how to install apk files on your device. Find the fitbit apk for the version you want (sites like apkmirror). Download it, uninstall your current version and install the downloaded apk. YMMV.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@StarkRaven Thanks for the advice.  I've installed apk files. I was hoping there was an official site to download  the previous version.  Since I'm, and others, are stuck, perhaps FitBit would see the light and make a previous version available. 

Update:

I contacted support.  That was a joke but I'm not laughing.  The customer service rep was really nice.  The response from the development team was harsh:

Motorola Droid Maxx is a compatible device, the Android version 4.4.4 is no longer supported. We support devices which use Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and newer.

That leaves me completely out in the cold. Brrrrrrr. 

My question is, why did they mark the update as compatible with 4.4.4?  I should never have been allowed to download the update.  Common guys!!!  Pay attention to what you're doing.

Now, I want the prior version that my phone was compatible with!  I don't want to go to a third party site for it.  I want FitBit to correct their mistake and make it available on the site.  That's really reasonable.  FitBit, explain to me, and everyone else that you left out in the cold, why it isn't reasonable to provide the correct version for the phone's OS?

Best Answer

@skiddy56 wrote:

@StarkRavenThanks for the advice.  I've installed apk files. I was hoping there was an official site to download  the previous version.  Since I'm, and others, are stuck, perhaps FitBit would see the light and make a previous version available. 

People have been asking Fitbit to do that for years, many other companies do it to allow people to find app versions that work well with their phone/tracker combinations. It would make for much happier Fitbit owners...... but for some reason Fitbit doesn't seem too worried about happy Fitbit owners, so they have always refused to offer anything but the latest app..... and if it's broken (which it often is), tough luck to us.........we just have to deal with it until they get around to fixing it.

It's a pretty crappy way to handle it if you ask me 😞 😕 :-[

I just got a new phone and am going to have to download the latest app...... I've been running version 2.63 for over half a year now on my old phone and it's been working flawlessly with my surge (after MAJOR HASSLES setting it up with the previous app). If I could have went back a few versions I probably could have skipped a TON of frustration. There's a reason I haven't updated it..... I've been using fitbits long enough to know when you get things working right, you leave the app alone.

I'm going to be one VERY angry fitbit owner if I install the latest app on my new phone and have nothing but trouble 😞 :-[ 😞 :-[ :'( 😕

Best Answer

@Crazy-FritterI'm working on changing that policy.  I think that FitBit should do the following:

1) Make all versions available for a minimum of 5 years.  That's an arbitrary number.  I actually wish it was forever. But I want to be reasonable.

2) Continue to support versions less than 2 years old for security updates.

2) For any version more than two years old, put a disclaimer on the downloads that the user does so at their own risk and that FitBit doesn't support the download or install.

3) Maintain a site where customers can communicate with each other and get help from other customers on the installation and support for older versions.  This way FitBit doesn't provide the support but gives us a place to discuss issues and help out where we can.

4) Don't allow the update to apply to a version of the OS it isn't compatible with.  Doesn't that just make sense?  I don't understand why their developers would not do that.  I don't understand why FitBit customer support doesn't get up in arms over this.  Why should they have to put up with the angry customers when it's completely avoidable?  I feel for the customer service reps.

What did I miss?

Update:

A quick update: Version 2.72.1 is marked as compatible with android version 4.4. 

2.72.1 May 23, 2018 Android 4.4+

Contrary to their email to me, my phone SHOULD be compatible with version 2.72.1.

From the support email to me:

....we occasionally must drop support for older operating systems so it allow us to introduce a more seamless experience while using our products and services.

You are able to confirm this by going on our site by going to the following link, entering "Motorola Droid MAXX" in the search box and check the bottom message mentions Android 5.0+ OS is required.
We were checking were able to confirm that the latest OS version released for Droid MAXX phone is 5.0.

I didn't go to the page they suggested, assuming they were correct, until just a minute ago.  The page is either WRONG or very misleading.  From the very bottom of the page in little tiny text:

*Android 5.0+ required

An asterisks next to a note means: refer back to where the asterisks occurs on the page.  There are two places: Call & Text Notifications and Calendar Alerts.  Not on the heading:

Features compatible with Motorola Droid MAXX

And nowhere else on the page.  Doesn't that mean the phone is compatible with other android versions and that I need version 5 for just those marked items?

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer

I just tried app version 2.73 - same problems. Tap Apps or Clock Faces for the Versa - get a quick message that 'Oops, there is no internet...' (nonsense) and then it tries to load the apps or clock faces and crashes. Restarted Versa and Phone, dumped cache - no change. Also appears that my notifications don't work on 2.73. Once again uninstall and go back to version 2.71 and that version works. I guess I am staying at 2.71.

Best Answer

I just changed to a Versa from a Alta and the FitBit app crashes when I try to open up the app store/clock face. I reinstalled the app and restarted my phone. I am using a Droid Maxx 4.4.4 I have no more ideas what to do.

Please help.

Best Answer

I was waiting for the latest version of the Fitbit app for Android to see if it would resolve my issues with it, and it did not, so here I am posting about it ...

1. Whenever I try to load the "Apps" on the phone, the program crashes and then just goes back to the screen where you can click on "apps" again

2. Whenever I try to change the clock face through the phone app, it comes up and says there is no internet connection. I am connected on both WiFi and data on my phone
3. I try to setup WiFi on the phone for my Versa, and it sits there for over 5 min saying it's searching for networks. Network is not hidden and has been rebooted even, and it still won't find it

Those are the issues I am having with the app right now and hopefully a new version is coming soon that fixes them (at least one would be nice ...)

Best Answer

I am having the same issue with my Motorola RAZR Droid Maxx.  Very frustrated, especially since I HATE the analog clock face. Following this thread to track responses. 

Best Answer

New Ionic will not allow me to update clock face or open apps.  the phone I have is the Droid Maxx 4.4.4.  I also keep losing the blue tooth connection.  Why is this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there everyone, thank you for keep reporting the app is crashing with clock faces and app gallery.

@skiddy56, I was reading your concern and note the page shows is required 5.0+ for certain features that are marked with " * " as you are mentioning on your post. Is true that some older version of Android might not be able to support the latest versions of Fitbit app, but this is normal depending of the lifecycle of the OS and the support of the manufacturer for new versions. The best to try here is to update your Fitbit app through the google  Play store and if your OS is not compatible you will be allowed to installed the latest compatible update based on your phone OS.

@Dawson.T I took the liberty to brought your post to this thread as you are experiencing the same issue, so you can be informed of new updates. My other intention to have your post here, is to ask you if you were able to install version 2.73? I noticed you have the same phone model that @skiddy56

Overall, I would like to inform you that our team is aware of this issue and they are working hard to have a fix in the future. While we have more progress on this, you might still experience this behavior , for which I appreciate  your patience.

See you all later and if new details come around, I'll be visiting this thread to keep you informed.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes