Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze and Bluetooth and Syncing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So, like many others my Blaze stopped syncing with my Android device after the latest Android update.   Looked into the update and it turns out that Android is making their Bluetooth capability more compatible with published Bluetooth specs in order to stop hacking.     

The Blaze is not the first device to suffer from this malady - Tracker One was the first.   Apparently the Fitbit folks did NOT write their app and the Bluetooth interface on our devices in strict accordance with published Bluetooth specs.    Since such specs are free and widely available to programmers, I do not understand this.

I do wonder if Fitbit can survive as a company if they don't get their apps and devices to meet published standards and specifications.    Join me in urging them to get this needed programming done and stop telling us that it is our phones.    Nope - it is their programming.

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Hello, @LynneOber! It is nice to have you here. Thanks for sharing your feedback and thoughts with us. I would like to help you out, so first of all please try to restart your tracker. After your tracker has been restarted, please follow these steps:

Let me know how it goes! Cat Happy

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

1.  Of course, I have restarted by Blaze multiple times.    Apparently you have not read my posts about this issue.   It would be helpful if Fitbit staff would gather everything that has been posted about the issue.

2.  My Blaze has been syncing for since I got it (purchased shortly after the Blaze was introduced and a replacement purchased this year directly from Fitbit - checking purchase history at Fitbit will verify both purchases).     It has been syncing on the same Samsung Android based phone until the last update.

3.  I sync both a Blaze and a Flex 2 (which is worn when I exercise in the swimming pool) and have been doing that since May, 2017 - again checking the purchase history with Fitbit would have shown that.

4.  Yes to the two location questions and suggestions --- already posted so you can see why I suggested checking the complete posting on this before responding.   While I appreciate Fitbit suddenly taking an interest and responding --- could you look at everything that has been done?

So, to conclude this, I am responding to your request to let you know how it goes by pointing out that all of this had been previously done and since the last Android update, my Blaze will not sync.   None of these suggestions was new.       The thingsyou didn't suggest, but I will go ahead and say that I've done:

5.  Removed the Fitbit app, restarted the phone, reloaded the app and set everything up again (after rebooting the Blaze as well).

6.  Removed all paired devices with my Samsung and then paired them again ----   rebooting all devices between removal and repairing.

and no, neither of those things helped either.    You need to write a Bluetooth interface that meets all security specs found in Bluetooth.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LynneOber, fitbit did wrote their own interface to call the Bluetooth..

Yes Android does now require the location services to be on, it was changed in Android v6.0,, even though the app or the OS does not ask for the location, Whenever an app request the bluetooth  MAC of a connected device.Android needs the location services to be on.

It is this Android limitation that was added in a fix to close a security hole that has affected a group of devices, and not all are fitness trackers. It is all explained on the dev.android sire.

Of course Fitbit has to abide by the limitations, that is why the appp reminds you that the tracker won't sync without location services being on.

I see three things that where not mentioned by @SolangeE that have helped many, but I'm  hesitant to say, After all you've probably already tried them..

Remove the tracker from the phones Bluetooth.

Clear Fitbits cache..

If you are connected to wifi, try to sync through the cell network. You don't mention the phone, but androids share one antenna for wifi and bluetooth.. Some models have occasional hiccups and a few will not at all update the tracker firmware through wifi

Now in defense, please reread your first post, there was no mention of any steps that might have been taken to rectify the problem. Having nothing to work off of @SolangeE simply started the troubleshooting tips from step one. 

Best Answer

You are correct that I did try some of those things without mentioning them --- specifically clearing the cache and downloading the app without WiFi.    The really interesting thing is that after I downloaded the app without WiFi, my Blaze will no longer ever pair with the Android phone that the Blaze and I have been using for two years.

All of this changed when I updated to Android v6.0.   As a company, FitBit is in trouble.   I've noticed several of my social media friends are now complaining about sync problems and switching to a different product because of the lack of effective customer service from FitBit.   All complain of the same issue - FitBit pointing to their device and not providing support.       I'm due for a new phone and maybe it is time to try the Apple watch / phone product instead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @LynneOber. Thanks for your feedback, this helps us improve in every way possible. I'm sorry to hear that your tracker did not meet all your expectations. Keep in mind that we will always be happy to see you if you decide to come back. 

@Rich_Laue, thank you for your clarification and your help, you are awesome! Robot Happy

Have a nice day! 🙂

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Not sure why I would come back when a $250 device suddenly cannot work as it has been working and no one at the company is even willing to work on the device.

Best Answer

I am very quickly running out of patience with this issue. I've have had a feeling the problem is with lack of fluid data transfer between the device and the tracker. Now I know I wasn't far off! 

I have also tried clearing the cashe and switching to my mobile data instead of wifi. Can't sync my Blaze ever since 🙂 

On the positive, it still thinks it's 3pm last Monday. A €200 smart watch that can't tell time... 

Fix it guys or you will lose a lot of your customers. I have already started looking for alternatives. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think I'm sorry I bought this stupid thing. It was syncing and now it isn't. I don't know what else to try. Simple instructions that don't go in circles would be nice. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Like others, I'm ready to return it. I loved it for 2 days. Now I'm beyond frustrated. 

Best Answer