Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories "left" vs "left in budget"

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey 😁

First post, apologies if this is not in the right place... 

Was just after an explanation of the calories left to eat vs calories left in budget. On the food tile it says (I have screenshots but can't figure out how to put them in the post) 980 cals in/1318 cals left, and then when you click on the food tile to add calories eaten it says 980 cals in/2729 cals out and 989 calories left in your budget. 

So why is the tile saying 1318 calories left but then 989 in my budget? 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The tile on the main screen is the "best estimate" for your total remaining calories for the day. 

The one shown when you click on the tile (where it shows the graph, and your log; i.e. the second picture) apparently provides a "prorated"  amount, assuming that you steadily eat your calories distributed throughout the day.  Unless you're a "grazer" who eats little bits of food all day long and goes to bed just before midnight it's not all that helpful. 

In the morning it'll only show a couple hundred calories left and I always blow well past that.  I get up very early and tend to front-load my calories, so when I'm done with lunch or dinner it'll show me as "over".  But give it time and the "calories left" slowly increases and I drop from over to under.

This only seems to be the case on Android; the IOS version shows the total amount like the tile does.  No idea why there's a difference.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

Hi there @BeckyBalboa, welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community! 

Note that calories Left and your Calories In vs Out, will provide you different information, both are related though. With the calories left it will tell you how many calories you can eat during the day including already your food plan deficit and Calories Out will let you know how many calories you have burned and not the amount of calories you have left.

However I would like to see that screenshot to be sure this is not something else and have a closer look of your question. If you need help in how to upload screenshots to the Community, use the following instruction mentioned on this post.

See you later, I'll be around if you need more help.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Screenshot_20171105-180653.jpgScreenshot_20171105-180702.jpg

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply 😁 so I've posted the screenshots, you can see the difference in the two, I still don't understand why it's different. 

Best Answer

Same issue 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also having this same problem, exactly like shown in the screen.

Which amount is the correct amount? The tile or the internal screen?

thanks!

Best Answer

Hi there @spookisgirl and welcome to the Fitbit Community @smweller. My apologies for the late response.

I'm aware this is not the best solution, however some users what they do as an alternative, is to review the Fitbit.com Dashboard to view the correct amount of calories. You can do this by using the dedicated web browser from your mobile devices.

Thank you for your patience while we work on this. See you around!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Roberto,

That would be great, except my dashboard doesn't agree either between the two panels. calories in vs out shows for example that I have been under all week. My food plan shows that I was 'on target' for Monday and over by 200+ calories on Tuesday.

So now I have 4 sources of information that should (at least after each day) agree but they all show something different.

Best Answer

Same issue here as posted elsewhere, piggybacking this thread for updates

Thanks 

Gav 

Best Answer

I have the same issue with the displays too. To be honest it hasn't really bothered me, I mainly use the more detailed information under the tile, but clarification would be nice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue. Tile doesn't reflect the same info as what is underneath it.

Best Answer

This has recently gotten worse. Now in the app, the graph doesn't match with what the "dial" says or the historical data. If I am over, it shows under, if under it shows over. It starts out showing right, then shifts to reflect the error.

Best Answer

Is it a glitch? Mine does the same thing. The calories left number on the main tiles screen is always higher than my budget. I've just been assuming that the amount on the dashboard tiles is the Fitbit app estimating how many calories I have left for the day. While the more detailed information is budgeting how many calories i should be consuming at the specific time in the day.

Best Answer

See also 'calories over don't match '

This has been going on for over a year.

I hope that this level of accuracy is not reflected in the female health section, that could lead to all sorts of surprises. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, 

I'm having the same issue as Becky!

Is this still a glitch? Beck's post from 2017....

Please help. I need to loose a lot of weight and this glitch is making it very confusing.

Thanks,

Best Answer

I am having the same issue, if it isn't a glitch, can this be explained?? Thank you!!

Best Answer

I've always had this "glitch" since I got my fitbit, I have an Alta HR. It is very annoying. And quite frankly, after almost a year of no fix and many people experiencing the same issue, this is a flat out malfunction. It is disappointing. 

Best Answer

The tile on the main screen is the "best estimate" for your total remaining calories for the day. 

The one shown when you click on the tile (where it shows the graph, and your log; i.e. the second picture) apparently provides a "prorated"  amount, assuming that you steadily eat your calories distributed throughout the day.  Unless you're a "grazer" who eats little bits of food all day long and goes to bed just before midnight it's not all that helpful. 

In the morning it'll only show a couple hundred calories left and I always blow well past that.  I get up very early and tend to front-load my calories, so when I'm done with lunch or dinner it'll show me as "over".  But give it time and the "calories left" slowly increases and I drop from over to under.

This only seems to be the case on Android; the IOS version shows the total amount like the tile does.  No idea why there's a difference.

Best Answer

Hi. I'm experiencing this glitch on a brand new versa over a year later. Any updates??

Best Answer

Same issue. Is this really still an ongoing issue since 2017? It seems that this should be a priority

Best Answer
0 Votes