Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain why the app needs access?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can someone explain to me why the Android Fitbit app needs access to my Location, SMS, Device ID & call information and access to my Contacts/Calendar information?

Best Answer
105 REPLIES 105

@Paul1234 your privacy settings are not controlled by google play, but through the phones settings - Application Manager - Fitbit - permissions, simply turn off any that you dont agree with.  If the app needs permission, the OS will prompt you, if you dont want to then simply refuse.

Here is a quick list of why

- Camera = used for logging food consumed by UPC, also can be used for sharing a recorded evrnt.

- Contacts = allows the app to search for known email addresses of friends with Fitbits, only used durring add friend. Also used to identify the caller or incoming text for notifications. 

- Location = Google requires this for a sync, it was added to close a major security hole in Bluetooth, the app does not request location, it simply reminds you that it cant sync without it. Also used for GPS.

- Phone = so it kbows when a call comes in and can alert you on your wrist.

- SMS = so it can send the text message to your wrist

- Storage = there are a few options, like sharing an event where a user can add a picture.from memory.

As you can see most of the permissions are needed as a result of Fitbit adding several, much requested by the comunity, features.

Screenshot_2017-02-27-17-30-37.png

After you revoke the settings that you don't want, somply ho into Fitbit and disable the features you don't need.

A warning about connected GPS, this uses the Fitbit Notifacations service, you can still disable the different notifacations individually 

As for aharing an event or logging food, simply don't use these functions, the app wont ask for permission.

Best Answer
Fine... the community cares little for their privacy... I care for my own
privacy. Fit bit doesn't work for me.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@fitbit1234  You say "You don't have to enter any personal information or allow access should you not want to. "  How do I disable one or another of these on install?

Best Answer
0 Votes

"Otherwise, they would have to create multiple versions of the same app."

As a developer, I know that smart developers can create different apps by options within their build.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CraigAustin simply go to the apps permission page and turn off any permission you don't want the app to have. Or just not do anything on the app you don't want to do. The app does not on it own accord access anything until you ask it to. It is a very friendly responsible app, unlike your phones OS

Best Answer

@Paul1234 wrote:
Fine... the community cares little for their privacy... I care for my own
privacy. Fit bit doesn't work for me.

Sorry it didn't work for you @Paul1234. Fortunately, Fitbit is collecting absolutely no personal information from your phone by using Location Services, and Google is not collecting anything that your service provider does not already have. So, not much of a loss of privacy. But as we used to say in the security service, "Just because you are paranoid does not mean they aren't following you...."

Best Answer

Hi, my android won't let me allow permissions, it only allows Bluetooth and location. The other options are grayed out. Any ideas why this may be, and how I can solve it? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit's location permission requirement has a huge drawback...if I allow Fitbit to access my location then that means I have to have the Android location service enabled and active on my Android device. That means that every other application that I DON'T want to have access to my location will have it.

Here's the fix. Allow the user to sync and do everything else without using the location service turned on. Allow the user to turn on and turn off location access, as needed, for the runs, walks, hikes, and etc. that you mention as your reason for requiring Fitbit to have location access. Key words here are USER OPTIONAL. What a concept!

So, as it stands now, the question is NOT answered as the suggested answer is totally unacceptable and the Fitbit device functionality is severely flawed.

Best Answer

@nemeaux wrote:

Fitbit's location permission requirement has a huge drawback...if I allow Fitbit to access my location then that means I have to have the Android location service enabled and active on my Android device. That means that every other application that I DON'T want to have access to my location will have it.

Here's the fix. Allow the user to sync and do everything else without using the location service turned on. Allow the user to turn on and turn off location access, as needed, for the runs, walks, hikes, and etc. that you mention as your reason for requiring Fitbit to have location access. Key words here are USER OPTIONAL. What a concept!

So, as it stands now, the question is NOT answered as the suggested answer is totally unacceptable and the Fitbit device functionality is severely flawed.

It's a Google requirement to have location turned on. Fitbit has to follow the Google rules, they can't have an app that doesn't comply with Google's terms.  I don't believe the same location requirement exists for IOS, so blaming Fitbit for Google's requirements is unwarranted.

Gary D.| Feeding Hills, MA MBG PE

Charge HR, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire 2, Charge 4, Charge 5, Pixel Watch 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

You don't have to turn on location services with Google Maps. Users are prompted to use location upon executing Google Maps but one can decline and, imagine this, Good Maps starts up anyway! So why does Google impose a more stringent requirement to apps such af Fitbit?

Please publish, in this forum, the location requirement Google imposes on apps, such as Fitbit's, so us "privateers" can verify the actual verbiage to which Google makes the Fitbit app conform. That will go a long way towards providing the proof that it is a Google requirement rather than a capricious Fitbit requirement for Fitbit to require location permission in order to to load and/or execute the Fitbit app.

And I repeat from above...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@nemeaux wrote:

You don't have to turn on location services with Google Maps. Users are prompted to use location upon executing Google Maps but one can decline and, imagine this, Good Maps starts up anyway!

That is correct, you do not need to have location services enabled in order for Google Maps to load on your phone - location services has absolutely nothing to do with running the app.  But, if you want Google Maps to locate you, and to locate places around you, such as the nearest pub, you must have location services enabled.

The Fitbit app will also open and run, just like Google Maps does, without location services enabled. But, if you want to sync your tracker using Bluetooth, you will need location services to be enabled.

Rather than asking Fitbit to publish why Google requires location services on to sync with Bluetooth, I did a simple Google search on the phrase, "android 6.0 marshmallow requires location services", and it found page after page (373,000 links) about various forums, etc., discussing Google's requirement for location services to be enabled to sync with Bluetooth devices.  And, interestingly, only a very few of those 373,000 links are referencing Fitbit.

This debate reminds me of when I go to a doctor's office and I have to fill out a form accepting the terms of their "privacy act".  It clearly says I do not have to agree to the terms of their privacy act, but if I choose not to accept it, I will not be treated by the doctor.

Best Answer

@nemeaux please do your own search, Google made a change to the way it does things when an app requests a Bluetooth MAC. 

It seems that a big security hole was found in Bluetooth on Android 5 and older. With closing this security hole Google requires Location Services. 

Try this, have Fitbit sync your tracker - now go to the phones settings - location Services. Look at the apps that recently requested your location, you will not see Fitbit on the list. 

Best Answer

If you can't verify your comment about Google requiring the permission then don't cite it or comment as an authority about it.

Next pundit please.

Best Answer
0 Votes

But when I try to connect Fitbit to MyFitnessPal, I can't seem to unselect a few pieces of information - it only works when I select all the tick boxes. I'm not comfortable with Fitbit wanting to know all sorts of information about my friends

Best Answer

This is still neither an acceptable nor logical answer.

Upon installation, all FitBit application permissions should default to "Opt-Out" until the user decides to individually "opt-In". There should be no reason the FitBit app should not be able to sync with the actual FitBit device simply, for example, because the user does not want location tracking enabled. 

Best Answer
I'm afraid that really isn't what's happening

Harpreet
Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually apon installation the user is requested to give Fitbit permission to access. It is as simple as saying no at this time. Then if fitbit would want access later the user will be asked.

Of course you may always fo to settimgs - application  manager - Ditbit - permissions 

Best Answer

I just got a Flex 2 and I like it so far. I want to get the call and text notification but when I went to turn them on through the app it said Fitbit would be able to read my texts. I have a problem with that and want to be sure I am reading it right. Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK @DSDS TJ ew is a few things to look at here.. Yes your Flex is unable to display messages, but with other trackers they can.. Therefore for those tracker a if they want to read the message on their wrist the app will have to send the message to the tracker.. Without permission to access and read the message, the app will not be able to send the message to the tracker.. So yes if you want notifications the app needs access permission and while the Flex can't display text the app still seems the message. 

Best Answer

Is the text stored on to any fitbit server of any kind? Does the company have a storage of users texts?

Best Answer
0 Votes