Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 GPS distance inaccuracy after 2.66 - RESOLVED w/ 2.67.1

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/12/18

Hey, there!

I wanted to check-in with everyone as it seems that GPS distance and accuracy has improved with version 2.67. Thanks for letting me know that its better!

Today, we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.67.1. Please update the app and let me know how it goes with this version. As always, we recommend updating whenever there is a new app version released as this ensures your tracker works as expected.  

If this continues even on the latest version, I'll need to gather some more specific data from some of you to pass this along to our engineers. Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update: 2/21/18

Thanks for all the responses! Smiley Happy

As mentioned, this issue with Connected GPS has been escalated to the appropriate team for investigation. I would really appreciate everyone's patience in the meantime. When a fix is in the works, I'll make sure to update you all here. Stay tuned for any updates! 

Fitbit Update: 2/16/18

Thanks for all the great information, everyone! I have merged in some additional threads to get one unified conversation. 

I really appreciate you all taking the time to share the details of your current experience with Android app: 2.66. I understand how important accuracy is to all of you. This has been escalated to our team for review! I will provide updates here in this thread when more information becomes available. Thanks for your help. 

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for reporting and bringing this to my attention. Sorry to hear that you are all getting inaccurate distance measurements after recording GPS Runs with your Charge 2. 

Please help me narrow down and confirm the following:

-Did this issue begin with the last Fitbit for Android app version: 2.66?

-Is this distance discrepancy also happening with Mobilerun or only when using Connected GPS

-Which error message are you seeing on the tracker, if any? 

If you haven't already, please try a restart and take a look through this help article for more troubleshooting suggestions. Let me know if this changes anything or the same issue persist! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

Hi,

I got this way to find more information about calculation

http://www.fitbit.com/manual#edit-profile.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is the point of using the GPS tracker if its not going to use it for distance? The stride length should only be used if you do not have GPS enabled. This was working up until mid last week. I have an Android Nexus and this does not coincide with an update on it. I'm pretty disappointed in my fitbit. Its pretty new to me (I've had it just over a month) and useless as a fitness tracker if it can't get this right. I want something that does more than just count steps.

Best Answer

Hi Larrs, thanks for sharing your communications with support. But unfortunately my stride length did not change (by much, surely not by 25%).

There has been a change in the way the connected GPS is operating and it is a change for the worse for at least a couple of us (possibly a lot more)

Best Answer
Yes, I totally agree with you!!!

It worked till mid last week, why doesn't it work now? Why should I ignore the GPS????
Best Answer

I am also having this issue. I wonder if others on here see the same thing when they zoom in on their paths. My shows phantom turns and sometimes double paths. Something happened on Feb. 8th, 2018 between 12:10 PM and 3:20 PM central time. my 12:10 walk was normal and my 3:20 walk had bad GPS readings.  Been bad ever since. Since no one from Fitbit has commented here, we can probably assume they are ware just cant seem to figure out how to fix. Hey guys, are all the servers up?

Best Answer

Same thing happening to me. Went for a 5km park run on Saturday and my charge two mapped the route correctly but said it was only 1.91km with 16 minutes splits.  Something is obviously wrong fit bit. Please sort it out I've always been happy with it until now. 

Best Answer

Hi,

Same problem for me - very recent issue.  Same lunch walk usually 3 miles dropped to 2.51 and then 2.36.  Obviously the pace/splits are off now and seems to be affecting my cardio score.  Very hopeful that it is resolved soon.

Best Answer

Isn't this value supposed to be adjusted by itselft, following several run, using GPS as described in the documentation http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1135 ?

Looks like last update may have reset or modified the value... It would be interesting to see if after several activties the distance value will be back to "normal".

Best Answer

I never actually adjusted mine and I've had it for just over a year now.  It's been working correctly up untill last week. My charge two keeps asking me to check my fitbit app when i try to record a run now too.

Best Answer

The stride length is on auto, but even if it changed 10% (can't remember exact values, I think it's closer to 5%) it does not account for the 25% change in distance we all seem to be seeing here. (Mine went from 82-83ish to 78.something cm/stride)

Best Answer

According to the app  (Settings->Advanced Settings->Stride Length), the walking and running stride length are recalibrated anytime you do a GPS-connected walk. 

I have the same issue since last Friday. GPS tracking is awful, the tracking lines are very jagged where they used to be straight and distance has dropped significantly. 

As a result, my (apparent) walking speed dropped from 16 min/mile to 24 min/miles. I did not lose that much speed over a couple of day while still out-walking everyone. Someone seriously screwed up in the software.

Best Answer

That support info doesn't make sense if one's route and pace/stride stays the same but records drastically different distances, nor does it account for not reading any distance or speed at all on a bike like I've had. 😞

Best Answer

Each time I run, I run with my phone and Bluetooth enabled. How could my stride be off so much from 2.5 miles to 4 miles. This problem also just started. Sorry fitbit, wrong answer. Come up with something else and fix it. If you can't fix it, I want my money back and I'm going to Garmin because that's a load of crap. Sincerely, someone who is becoming very unsatisfied.

Best Answer

Since last week (maybe since last app update) I have been experiencing sync issues and also connected gps tracking has started recording shorter distances.

As an example this evening it recorded my usual dog walk as 2km:

Whereby the walk is actually just over 3km:

Another walk I did this morning was recorded as 4.95km when it is around 8km.

I've tried restarting fitbit charge 2, phone, deleting and reinstall app etc but still the same.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Best Answer

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to add images into the post..

wrong distance:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuN-HrH4_OukifsX7Sac468urdTh0w

correct distance:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuN-HrH4_OukifsWzrgNdtnVIzjyvQ

my phone is galaxy s8 plus

Best Answer

I've noticed this over the last few walks I've done. My Charge 2 has always worked fine and my GPS is working but last week I not only set the Fitbit app up on my Samsung to track my walk but set up Runkeeper as well. The Fitbit app said I'd only walked half the distance and the tracking showed I'd walked through a lake! Thankfully Runkeeper had tracked the walk properly but it was frustrating as I've used the Fitbit tracker as my primary one for 2 years but now having to use another tracker.

Best Answer

Hi everyone,

Larrs, thanks for sharing the response from Fitbit. Their response would only be helpful for those not using GPS to record distance. I know that when fitbit is using stride length that it is only an estimate. That's why I use GPS, I like to have have an accurate distance so I get an accurate pace. The support team have looked at my account and the issues I had and confirmed that I was eligible for a replacement tracker. They didn't explain what had caused the problem but they could see that my activity has gone wrong. Not sure how much they looked at but my cardio fitness is completely wrong now. I'll let you know if the new tracker is any better, I doubt it if you are all experiencing the same issue.

Best Answer

Same with me my last run was 2.5K short!! Ever since I installed the latest fitbit app a few days ago.

The issue is if you look at the map very closely and zoom right in you will see anomalies that were not there a few days ago, the route is littered with lines that go back on themselves when actually you run/walk in a straight line. it doesn't do it when using live track on the fitbit app on the phone, Only when using the assisted GPS on the phone and Charge 2

.Before the app update.Before the app update.After the app updateAfter the app update

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem.  Charge 2, Samsung Galaxy S7.

Best Answer

Hi Zarkrax,

I hadn't thought of using the live tracking in the app! I'll do that until the issue is fixed, thank you so much!! ☺

Best Answer