Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 GPS distance inaccuracy after 2.66 - RESOLVED w/ 2.67.1

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/12/18

Hey, there!

I wanted to check-in with everyone as it seems that GPS distance and accuracy has improved with version 2.67. Thanks for letting me know that its better!

Today, we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.67.1. Please update the app and let me know how it goes with this version. As always, we recommend updating whenever there is a new app version released as this ensures your tracker works as expected.  

If this continues even on the latest version, I'll need to gather some more specific data from some of you to pass this along to our engineers. Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update: 2/21/18

Thanks for all the responses! Smiley Happy

As mentioned, this issue with Connected GPS has been escalated to the appropriate team for investigation. I would really appreciate everyone's patience in the meantime. When a fix is in the works, I'll make sure to update you all here. Stay tuned for any updates! 

Fitbit Update: 2/16/18

Thanks for all the great information, everyone! I have merged in some additional threads to get one unified conversation. 

I really appreciate you all taking the time to share the details of your current experience with Android app: 2.66. I understand how important accuracy is to all of you. This has been escalated to our team for review! I will provide updates here in this thread when more information becomes available. Thanks for your help. 

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for reporting and bringing this to my attention. Sorry to hear that you are all getting inaccurate distance measurements after recording GPS Runs with your Charge 2. 

Please help me narrow down and confirm the following:

-Did this issue begin with the last Fitbit for Android app version: 2.66?

-Is this distance discrepancy also happening with Mobilerun or only when using Connected GPS

-Which error message are you seeing on the tracker, if any? 

If you haven't already, please try a restart and take a look through this help article for more troubleshooting suggestions. Let me know if this changes anything or the same issue persist! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

I have been having the exact same problem, inaccurate distance while walking and using bluetooth headphones.  I walk the exact same route each day (~3.5 miles).  The distance varies from 2.16 miles to 3.6 miles.  I start tracking my walk on my Charge 2 and confirm connection to my Samsung S7 phone as I begin.  I check the connection periodically throughout the walk and the connection remains.

This problem began exactly when I updated to v2.66.  Prior to that, it worked perfectly for the past 6 months.  No other changes were made.  Clearly an app problem.

Screen Shot of walks:

Screenshot_20180214-163221.pngScreenshot_20180214-163242.png

Kathy | USA
Versa SE, Charge 2, Samsung Galaxy S10+
Best Answer

Exact same problem here.  Samsung S7, Charge 2, ever since v2.66 update.

Kathy | USA
Best Answer

Roberto- This is not user device error.  Not when it is happening across multiple people in the same way in the same timeline.

2-10-18 bike sample.PNG2-10-18 bike issue.PNG

I biked in another location on Saturday, with similar issues.  Clearly you can see 5 laps on my workout: https://www.fitbit.com/activities/exercise/12322947281, for 4.86 miles, or less than 1 mile per loop.  However, the route is marked at 1.3 miles per loop.  (My activity line looks like connectivity was lost for portions, because it is not smooth.  Today's run does not show the same issue - so don't use that excuse.)  

Another log at that same location: http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/holtsville-ny/5-26-mi-run-in-holtsville-on-oct-21-2012-route-147669743  5.25 miles for 4 laps, which agrees with the marked 1.3 mile loop. 

Related to my earlier post, 

Here's a link to my Fitbit run: https://www.fitbit.com/activities/exercise/12393603120

And the same run, on mapmyrun:  http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1944400442

I have attached screenshots for today's run, using both of these interfaces, if the links don't work

2-14-18 run issue.PNG2-14-18 run.PNG

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for reporting and bringing this to my attention. Sorry to hear that you are all getting inaccurate distance measurements after recording GPS Runs with your Charge 2. 

-Did this issue begin with the last Fitbit for Android app version: 2.66?

-Is this distance discrepancy also happening with Mobilerun or only when using Connected GPS

-Which error message are you seeing on the tracker, if any? 

If you haven't already, please try a restart and take a look through this help article for more troubleshooting suggestions. Let me know if this changes anything or the same issue persist! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

The problem started Friday Feb 9. Thursday Feb 8 everything was as usual. I always use Connected GPS, never tried mobile run.

I use an Android phone, therefore Android app. My current version is 2.66. 

No error message on tracker or app.

The GPS trace shows jagged lines, backtracking and skips. Pretty sure I did not walk like that.

Best Answer

@peperazziwrote:

The problem started Friday Feb 9. Thursday Feb 8 everything was as usual. I always use Connected GPS, never tried mobile run.

I use an Android phone, therefore Android app. My current version is 2.66. 

No error message on tracker or app.

The GPS trace shows jagged lines, backtracking and skips. Pretty sure I did not walk like that.

Exactly my symptoms as well with charge 2 and connected GPS.. Mobile run works ok though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I first started having problems on Friday 2/9/18. When I run, I always have my phone with me to have it connected Bluetooth for the most accurate distance. I've called support and they have uninstalled and installed the app and restarted the fitbit and made sure everything is up to date. They are hoping it gets fixed with the next update. It seems to have started with this update. What happens is during my run....my fitbit will show the ready icon and I'll have to hit it to continue my run after distance has already been calculated. Everything else is taken into account correctly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine started on 9th Feb when I did a run. First my fit bit asked me to check my fit bit app but I was already running by that point. Then after the run I thought it was strange that it took me over 10 minutes per km. Then on the park run which i do weekly the fit bit asked me to check the app again. I did 5km but only recorded 1.91km with a 16 minute per km. Normally I'm around 6.40 per km. The lines are very jagged on the map but it shows the whole course I took but just not the distance correctly. I've reset my fit bit and uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Nothing has changed. 

Best Answer

My problems were with connected GPS not mobile track. I connect to GPS AND use my multi sport function to record walking and running. I found the issue started on Wednesday 7th February for me. I tried all the reset and troubleshooting advised but it didn't work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did begin with the latest update.

Only when using connected GPS, when I start a walk in the app, it works

When starting a walk on the watch, it says to check the app and after a moment it says 'Ready, press button to dismiss'

Already restarted the watch, turned bluetooth off and on again.

Best Answer

My issues started on Feb. 8th between 12:10 PM and 3:20 PM US central time. Right after the update came out.I have only tried connected GPS. I get all three error messages in the mentioned blog post. It appears to be the length of time since I restarted my phone or force closed the Fitbit app determines the error. I have tried to restart my Charge 2 and all of the other suggestions. Still happens.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Went for a walk at lunchtime today and used the app to track it. Everything seems as it should and worked correctly.  However it's defeating the object. I want to track my walks and runs from my fit bit direct.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In reply to this post:

I wonder if Fitbit is calculating distance "as the crow flies" versus looking at the distance actually traveled with the maps. It still doesn't explain the calculation as I thought estimated distance was done with stride length when GPS isn't available.

Also, Charge 2 doesn't have GPS and relies on your phone's GPS when the device is nearby (Help article detailed here). The question would be if it was caused by a recent app update (I know Android Oreo support was just added) or maybe how the website logs it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My problem started last week right after the app updated.  Both the connected GPS and the Mobiletrack are inaccurate--one a little more so than the other.  I have given it a week to see if it will correct itself, as well as reset the tracker, my phone and made sure location services were correct, but so far no fix.  I have also noticed it isn't tracking "normal" steps as well as before last Thursday.

@AlessFitbitwrote:

Hi, everyone!

-Did this issue begin with the last Fitbit for Android app version: 2.66?

-Is this distance discrepancy also happening with Mobilerun or only when using Connected GPS

-Which error message are you seeing on the tracker, if any? 

If you haven't already, please try a restart and take a look through this help article for more troubleshooting suggestions. Let me know if this changes anything or the same issue persist! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same for me. I'm using #Viewranger os mapping to log the same  daily walk. Its always been 10 miles. This week with charge 2 it's been 8.6  every day. Hopeless. Even the mile splits are 2 minutes slow. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

why do fitbit blame everything except their software?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok so I went for another run tonight and decided to track half of the run with my fit bit and the other half with the tracker on the app via my phone.  As you can see the first photo is via the fit bit and all the jagged lines running back on myself which I didn't do.Screenshot_20180215-194226.png

The next one is via the tracker direct from the app on my phone.  Perfect lines. Exactly how I ran it.Screenshot_20180215-194249.png

Something is definitely wrong with my fit bit!

Best Answer

@SunsetRunnerwrote:

Something is definitely wrong with my fit bit!

I doubt it's the actual fitbit, this has only started happening when they updated the mobile app a few days ago. So it's more than likely a bug in the app somewhere. I have the same issue! Hope they fix it soon! 

Best Answer

Update:  Based on information I gathered from reading these forums, I tracked my walk today initiating on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) instead of on my Charge 2 as I have always previously done.  Tracking worked well.  My map was generated and the distance was correct.

I know my Charge 2 doesn't have a GPS but can only track with connected GPS through my phone.  I always carry the phone as I listen via bluetooth headphones to content on the phone and I'm ok with carrying my phone.  Initiation on the phone app only gives me 3 options (walk, run, hike).  Not sure if additional activities can be added to the app exercise tracking.  I know my Charge 2 has many more I can choose from (ie. bike).

I hope that the app is updated soon to fix this bug but in the meantime I can use this work around to accomplish what I want.

Kathy | USA
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the suggestion.. I hadn’t realized that was an option. I’ll give it a shot next time.

Your comparison also definitely shows our problem is Fitbit error, not phone (or user) error.

Best Answer
0 Votes