Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 GPS distance inaccuracy after 2.66 - RESOLVED w/ 2.67.1

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/12/18

Hey, there!

I wanted to check-in with everyone as it seems that GPS distance and accuracy has improved with version 2.67. Thanks for letting me know that its better!

Today, we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.67.1. Please update the app and let me know how it goes with this version. As always, we recommend updating whenever there is a new app version released as this ensures your tracker works as expected.  

If this continues even on the latest version, I'll need to gather some more specific data from some of you to pass this along to our engineers. Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update: 2/21/18

Thanks for all the responses! Smiley Happy

As mentioned, this issue with Connected GPS has been escalated to the appropriate team for investigation. I would really appreciate everyone's patience in the meantime. When a fix is in the works, I'll make sure to update you all here. Stay tuned for any updates! 

Fitbit Update: 2/16/18

Thanks for all the great information, everyone! I have merged in some additional threads to get one unified conversation. 

I really appreciate you all taking the time to share the details of your current experience with Android app: 2.66. I understand how important accuracy is to all of you. This has been escalated to our team for review! I will provide updates here in this thread when more information becomes available. Thanks for your help. 

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for reporting and bringing this to my attention. Sorry to hear that you are all getting inaccurate distance measurements after recording GPS Runs with your Charge 2. 

Please help me narrow down and confirm the following:

-Did this issue begin with the last Fitbit for Android app version: 2.66?

-Is this distance discrepancy also happening with Mobilerun or only when using Connected GPS

-Which error message are you seeing on the tracker, if any? 

If you haven't already, please try a restart and take a look through this help article for more troubleshooting suggestions. Let me know if this changes anything or the same issue persist! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

EDIT: Went back and read all of the previous posts in this thread, and I have the exact same behavior with the weird "sword-point"/diagonal lines as many others. See my post below for all of the details.

Hi @AlessFitbit, just want to weigh in on also having the same issue (using a 2016 Pixel with the Charge 2). Since the update to 2.66, I've had serious problems with GPS accuracy when tracking using my Charge 2. Any length that I run is reported as significantly less than what it really is; I ran 2.6 miles this morning, but Fitbit reported it as 1.78 miles instead. If I look closely at the plotted/tracked route afterward, there are weird zig-zagging lines that show me basically doubling back on my route, which I think is what is causing this lower mileage. (To put it another way, the zig-zagging GPS somehow subtracts mileage from the actual length I've run.) Here's an example of what I mean (photo attached):

Screenshot_20180221-115114.png

Another issue is that this behavior affects my pace; I'm being told by the Charge 2 that my pace is as slow as 14:59 per mile, when in fact I'm pretty certain that my pace is closer to 9:00-10:00 per mile. (This causes me to run faster, though I'm in disbelief that I'm actually running way slower than I think I am... based on what Fitbit tells me.)

I'm going to try to roll back to the previous version of the app, but please consider pulling this version from the Google Play Store. I would bet we are not the only ones out there experiencing this issue.

(In answer to your question, the distance and pace are incorrect the entire time I'm running.)

Thank you.

Best Answer

I was following in the other group that Shenanig has linked to above. They've placed that as resolved now, but it isn't. I emailed their customer support a few days ago and they have replied saying they are aware of the issue of the incorrect gps recording and are working on the fix but can't provide a date it will be resolved by. It annoys me that the moderator is spouting the same rubbish about restarting the device and fobbing people off when they know this won't resolve the issue. Why can't they just be upfront about this? 

Best Answer

@AlessFitbit  Another issue I have noticed since 2.66, not related to GPS or running, is when I receive a call on my phone and am notified on my Charge 2, it always displays "Unidentified" rather than the proper ID.  This is since 2.66.

Best Answer
0 Votes

People keep linking to this thread as this being a known issue, but I'm yet to see any information from Fitbit themselves admitting there is a problem and they are looking into resolving it. It seems to me like the latest release of the app was not tested to any degree before being released. 

Best Answer

The distance is inaccurate on the tracker.  What is logged and synced are both identical for my device. I've tried all the restarts and other suggestions without any improvement. 

Best Answer

Nope. The distance on the tracker and in the app (and on the website dashboard) is incorrect for me

I know I might be a bit slow, but I didn't lose 1:40/km pace overnight!

I've since replaced the activities by using the correct timings (and calories :shrug: ) but changing the distance (by tracing the route using Google Maps distance measurer), and the pace is recalculated to be about what it was before the update to 2.66.

I'm downgrading to 2.65.1 until this gets fixed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you downgrade back to the previous firmware release?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Many thank for the very helpful suggestion and link, crescentwire.

I have installed 2.65 and I also turned off auto-update for the time being.

Hopefully my activities and route mapping will work with Charge 2 tomorrow.

It is a pity that Fitbit did not consider a temporary rollback to 2.65 while a fix is worked on.

Best Answer
How does one downgrade?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. I've managed to down load back to 2.65.1 let's hope this works for the time being. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a known issue for Android devices.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Charge-2-GPS-distance-inaccuracy-after-2-66/td-p/2553993

Just have to wait for an app update.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for all the responses! Smiley Happy

As mentioned, this issue with Connected GPS has been escalated to the appropriate team for investigation. I would really appreciate everyone's patience in the meantime. When a fix is in the works, I'll make sure to update you all here. Stay tuned for any updates! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I know this is moot but I ran 9 miles today and it only recorded 5.23. First decent run in 84 days and it didn't even record right. Bummed 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too downgraded to v2.65.1. I'll see if I can go back to an error free tracking experience. Although I had read about others with problems, my experience was good with the previous version.

Kathy | USA
Versa SE, Charge 2, Samsung Galaxy S10+
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Run4tacos just out of curiosity, did you pause and resume your run at any point?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kcronin i think pausing walks causes issues, another bug no doubt... wondering if pausing runs is also problematic, but i could be incorrect on that one...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Aless

To answer your previous question, the distance shown on the tracker is consistent with the app and is incorrect. I ran a 5K Parkrun on Saturday and kept looking at my watch wondering why my pace was so bad and also checked the distance run while running and these were all wrong. In the end it measured the run at 3.23km, normally (although it is a 5k) it is measured at about 4.84km. The time was accurate but clearly the pace was well off.

I have experienced the same odd map results with switchbacks etc that I did not run that others have reported. I use Strava as a middle man to get my data from Fitbit to Google Fit (as Fitbit will is not compatible with Google Fit but is with Strava), Strava simply takes the Fitbit data (though it seems to make some changes of its own) and mapping but in Strava you can ask it to look at the distance again so it measures the actual route rather than the distance it received from Fitbit. Interestingly, when you look at the ParkRun result which was recorded by Fitbit as 3.23km, Strava's recalculation changed it to 5.74km which presumably includes all the switchbacks. Either way I can't win, my pace is either too slow via Fitbit or too fast when recalculated by Strava.

I also get the vibration and request to press the button on my watch after starting, it all started happening with that ParkRun on 17/2, I think Fitbit may have updated around the 13/14th Feb. Android also updated on the 14/2 to 8.1.0. I'm not sure the latter is connected though as I note others are on 7.0.

Anyway, that's my little contribution, I'm delighted that this has been escalated and we are no longer getting flannel about checking our GPS, etc and "staying awesome" and hope it is all sorted by the time we're all lining up for our various events this weekend!!

Best Answer

Hi @AlessFitbit

Can I ask you a question about the Consumer Rights Act here in the UK... 

"Under the Consumer Rights Act (which replaced the Sale of Goods Act in October 2015) you have a statutory right to return something and get your money back if it's faulty.

But you're only entitled to an automatic refund if you return it within 30 days otherwise you must give the retailer a chance to make a repair or replacement. " (https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-return-my-goods-what-are-my-rights)

So, my device is over 30 days old, but it is now faulty and not fit for purpose. So I have to give you chance to repair the fault, which I will, however it is reasonable for this chance to be time limited and not open ended, so how much time should be reasonable in allowing fitbit to resolve the fault - is 30 days fair? I think so...

Are you able to provide me with the appropriate fitbit method of contact so that I may make this a formal request for refund and "start the clock" on a reasonable time for your chance to repair?

Thanks

Best Answer

I am pleased to be able to report that since installing v.2.65.1 my Charge 2 and Fitbit App are now recording the correct mileage for activities and accurately mapping my routes.

In the absence of an imminent fix for v.2.66 it would be helpful if Fitbit made v.2.65.1 available to people who wish to rollback until the fix is available.

Best Answer

Marc_PL - after uninstalling v2.66, how were you able to get v2.65.1? was it available in the AppStore? Or ftibit.com? 

Best Answer
0 Votes