Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit App v3.58 - Android 9

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just to let you know that Fitbit for Android App version 3.58 has just been sent to my Android 9 phone. So much for Android 10 being needed to download.

Anyone know what is going on?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I don't know why Fitbit says Android 10. It requieres Android 8 and newer. If one has Android 7, your Fitbit App can still be used, but if one uninstall the app, you won't be able to download it again.

Fitbit user since September 2019
Sense2 Sense, Charge3, Android, Windows
Best Answer

@LokeAa @Lilbiddy Nice to see you again in the forums. Thank you for the information. Since I have Android 11 I would not be able to confirm. I will check with my old smartphone and will let you know.

However, according to the official information the minimum requirement is Android 10. Of course this proves it otherwise. I will forward this information and let you know once I find out more about it. 

Have a nice day!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @RodrigoMFitbit , @Lilbiddy  the correct official minimum requirement is found in Play Store (see below). App developer, in this case Fitbit assigns an API (Application Programming Interface) value to the app. Android 8 = API level 26. Each Android platform version stores its API Level identifier internally, in the Android system. If you are on Android 7 = API level 24., Android system will deny installation of any app with API 25 or higher. I'm always on latest Android, so haven't seen it for myself, but if it works as supposed to, versions a specific device can't install is not visible in Play Store anymore.

Furthermore, Android 10 was released September 2019, most devices eligible for an update got it from January 2020 and the following months. To require Android 10 would disqualify any most phones more than two years old from upgrading. That would be commercial suicide.

If one has deleted Android from an Android 7 device or older, there is a workaround. It is possible to find the older versions. Apple Pineapple Kiwi (the actual file ending is not allowed in the community...) file, but one must be careful from where one downloads these files. I will not recommend any, since yesterday’s safe site, may be unsecure today. 

Play_Store.jpg

Oops, for some reason my reply from yesterday was saved as a draft and shown as not posted, sorry about that

Best Answer

@LokeAa Thanks for the detailed explanation and the screenshot. That makes sense. Today I was confirmed though, that in order to have the optimized experience on the Fitbit app, one should install the app on a device with Android 10 or higher. 

However, it seems, according to your explanation, that it is still possible to install the app on devices with older Android version. If the PlayStore allows it, great. I would not install app from third party sources though. 

Have a nice day!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

. I would say it is the other way round. The difference between Android 8 - 9 - 10 is battery saving features. Introduced on Android 9, and improved on 10 Users on Android 8, do not have to worry about battery settings, because there is no such thing as battery optimization. All apps have full battery access.

With Android 9, the new optimization settings are enabled on for all apps as default. Optimization kills any app that has not been in use for a given amount of time. To get the Fitbit app to perform as it is supposed to, it must not be " killed" in the background. We have to override the new power saving feature and positioning as well. If one misses to override "positioning" all exercises using GPS and / or other positioning tool(s) will be incorrect or not recorded

Most are not aware that the settings we manually override, restores

to default settings every time Fitbit App, Your phone manufacturer, and / or OS security download. are updated or reinstalled, the most rigid / paranoid cyber security guys, are dead 

The change in Android version 9 was systemwide Dark mode, and the "home button" disappeared. 
No reason for not running Android 8 or 9. There are no optimized settings affecting Fitbit App in Android 10, or 11 for that matter. More than 80% of Android devices have Android 9 or lower. For most, it is no longer any reason to buy a new phone every - or every -second year. 

What do you mean third party? Older (dot) Apple Pineapple Kiwi files are the original source kode, if you download them from the right source. It is the only way if accident is uninstalling Fitbit App.

Best Answer