Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flex 2 and Moto G5 syncing issues

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Yet more sync issues. My Flex 2 would synchronise with my Moto G5 until an app update 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now it syncs erratically, say once every 2 or 3 days. It will not synchronise on request. I've tried all of the remedies suggested on the site to no avail. Any ideas for solving the issue gratefully received.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Oh thank you! I also was trying to figure out the syncing. I have had this for only for a couple of weeks but I could only get it to sync once in awhile. I tried removing the app a few times and logging out and "forgetting" the Flex 2 device. None of it worked consistently.  After reading your post, I started by simply removing the Flex 2 from the Bluetooth connection. And it worked!! I didn't have to go through all the other steps you recommended. Whew! Now once a day or so, I sync my Flex 2 manually from the app by pulling down the home screen. And it has worked every time for the last several days. It takes a few minutes but I can wait. Yay! Now I can actually use my Fitbit!! Thank you again! 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

I have the same problem with the 5G Plus and Flex 2. I contacted Fitbit support 3 times concerning this issue. It has yet to be fixed. They sent me a new Flex 2 but it still does not sync. After my latest conversation with them, they are sending another one (it will be the 3rd). I have very little hope that this will work. It has been a very disappointing experience with Fitbit.

It started a couple of weeks ago and syncs randomly during the day. I have no idea of my progress. I've deleted the device and re-added it but this will only sync the device once. I have a feeling that this is a Fitbit software issue. I'm hoping that that address this issue quickly.

Best Answer

Only chiming in to say, me too.  I have a Moto G5 and for the last several days my Flex 2 only seems to sync after a lot if coaxing, e.g. unpairing Bluetooth, resetting the tracker, etc... And even this is sporadic.  Sounds like a software issue, as it had been working fine since January.  I haven't contacted the company yet.

Best Answer

Hi there @Cagouille@nobodyimportant and welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community @psybiggs. I understand your frustration and thank you for sharing your feedback.

This phone is not listed as compatible in our list of supported devices. The difference with compatible and non-compatible devices is that we cannot guarantee the app and all the features will work as is expected due to the app is not optimized to run in these devices. So in this case is probably the app may work but also may present issues with certain features or functionality.

If you are experiencing syncing issues, it won't hurt to try the following instructions: Having trouble syncing? (here's how to fix this)Our team is always working to test and add more Android devices to the supported devices list, so keep an eye open for updates!

See you later and for more help stay tuned to our Fitbit Community!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Roberto, thanks for your feedback - the frustration is that is was working fine, for several months in fact, and only stopped syncing after a Fitbit update... Hopefully a future update will rectify the problem.  I have already followed the tips to try to rectify the issue, sadly to no avail.  Steve.

Best Answer

If things are working good I don't update unless there's a serious need to... updates aren't always a good thing 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

I contacted Fitbit several times (spoke to 6 different representatives) over the past couple of weeks. They sent me 2 replacements - neither of which worked. They said that since the Moto G5 was not compatible with the Flex 2 (I am running Android 7.0 with the latest updates). They tried to blame my phone but could not answer why it worked up until a month ago. I'm convinced it's a software issue on their side. I asked why would they send me new trackers if they knew it wasn't compatible - they couldn't answer this.

Best Answer

Is the compatibility issue software or hardware related?

Best Answer

Hello there @psybiggs@Crazy-Fritter and @nobodyimportant

By answering your question @nobodyimportant I believed I can give more context to this problem all of you are facing, since the issue is related to the software.

The phone might not be compatible, but since many mobile devices nowadays from the mid range to high end devices are built almost with identical core specifications that may not be different from other compatible devices, it is possible the tracker works normally as you mentioned @psybiggs.

Now using the phone example, the variation comes with the features that certain brands or manufacturers offers, however each brand modify the firmware to support the different features they may include. Are this features where a phone stand apart from other competitors and where is require to test all these devices to guarantee its compatibility with Fitbit.

This is why the importance of  a device be compatible, since the same happen with the app due to this is optimized for compatible devices. Regardless a mobile phones received updates or the Fitbit app has new versions, won't really matter since the phone where is running the app is compatible, meaning if the code of the app received modifications it will continue its functionality as is expected.

With non-compatible phones, the scenario is different since the app is not optimized to support small variations on its firmware, usually released with new updates. So when new updates are release, the app may interrupt its functionality, since is not optimized to run with the firmware of the non-compatible device.

In your case @nobodyimportant, with your replacement our support team took in to consideration many things, so the decision may vary for other users and I believed the intention here was just to offer you a solution with no intention to blame your phone and yes, this is totally a software issue, but more from the side of incompatibility view.

Again all these feedback is very importan for us and I will make sure to relay all your comments to our teams.

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too have a Moto G5 & have the same problems with syncing despite trying all the solutions suggested. You say it's a software problem so does this affect all android phones running version 7? I have resorted to synching my tracker with my iPad as that's the only way it will work. As usual technology is biased towards Apple products & to say I'm disappointed with my Fitbit is an understatement. The company should make the compatibility information more readily available & stop selling the product under what amounts to false pretences. Can we expect this issue to be resolved in the near future?

Best Answer

Hi there @Countrygirl2147, nice to have you here in the Fitbit Community! We can say this is a software issue due to the same fact I was mentioning before. The app is not yet optimized to run on this model of phones. However the Android version is not the problem, just to clarify this.

I know this phone it's very popular and rest assure we are working constantly to make bigger the variety of mobile phone options to sync with the Fitbit tracker. I understand your point of view regarding the compatibility information should be more readily. For the same purpose we have a dedicated page online to consult which mobile devices are compatible. To see the latest list of supported devices, please go to http://www.fitbit.com/devices. If your device isn't listed, you can check the link at a later date to see if device support has been added. 

Thank you for your honest feedback. If new information come to my knowledge I will be updating this thread.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I fully understand the phone compatibility issues, but it doesn’t explain to me how I’ve been successful using a “non-compatible” phone for many months with no issues until this last update. Now my Fitbit (Alta) is reduced to an expensive watch/pedometer. It wont sync with the app on my Moto g5 Plus at all, and it no longer is able to receive notifications (text messages, calls) from my phone as it did for many months before the update. Not happy!

Also, when shopping on the Fitbit site, or in in a physical store, all of the great features are mentioned, but it’s in tiny print somewhere that there’s a list of “compatible” phones. I think one would assume that if they’re running a updated version of iOS or Android, things should work fine. I wouldn’t automatically run to the website to look at a list of phones. It doesn’t make sense, and just disappoints and sours people later on. There must more than a few people who are experiencing the same thing.

I’ve had various Fitbits for maybe 8 years, and have always been more than happy. Not so much now....I’m more than disappointed.....

Best Answer

I feel quite certain that the issues are on Fitbit's side. Like you said, my supposed non-compatible phone worked fine with the Flex and is capable of working fine with the Flex 2, but it randomly can't find the tracker and often requires multiple steps and a Fitbit reset just to connect. They blame the phones, but I have been told by their support to make sure I didn't update the app (on Kindle) because they knew it wouldn't sync if I downloaded the new version, so clearly not a device issue on my end. They also told me at one point that the Flex 2 was just "too new" to work with Nougat, which was also too new, and that they were working on it. Obviously that's ridiculous. I have a friend who also had the same issue on hers and she does own one of the so-called compatible phones. I would be a lot less frustrated if Fitbit would just say, hey, we know our stuff doesn't work and we're working on it (and actually do so), than to continue blaming the user devices and user error.

Best Answer

I'm with you on this one. My phone was also working when I originally bought my Fitbit in Sept but now I just can't get it to sync what ever I do & as I said in my original post I now have to sync through my iPad Air which is very inconvenient. I have made the decision to ask for my money back from Debenhams as it's just not fit for purpose.

Best Answer

I’m giving up on Fitbit....after 7-8 years...so sad! I can’t wait around and wonder if my phone will ever be “compatible” again. And even if it did become “compatible, what if I get a new phone down the road? Then I’m back in the same boat. The thing that really bothers me though is that the info on the Fitbit box leads one to believe that it will work as long as you have a relatively updated Android/iOS. It does say there’s a list of compatible phones, but the wording leads one to believe the compatibility has more to do with the Android/iOS. Oh well.....

Best Answer

Same problem here, worked perfectly until a recent update of the Fitbit Android App and now syncs very intermittently... Surely this must be fixable... Very disappointing... 

Best Answer

I have just purchased a Fitbit flex 2 today and can sync with my old Hudl 2 tablet, but not with my new Motorola Moto g5,  the phone will sync with my tablet to get the info, but that really defeats the purpose. My wife has the Fitbit charge 2, but I need the waterproof flex for pool exercise as I am disabled, very disappointed with my new purchase.

Best Answer

I keep hoping that maybe one of these "updates" fixes this issue but nope. Stupid frustrating to say the least. And if this never gets solved then I will not be buying another Fitbit. Girlfriend and I were looking at ionics but wtf is the point in buying those if they may not sync with our phones that worked just fine 4 months ago. I like my flex and I like Fitbit features but I might have to buy something with less functionality in my eyes just so I have something that works like it is supposed to. 

Flex 2, moto G5 plus. 

Seems this his combo with an issue is pretty common. Might want to get someone on that to fix it. 

Best Answer

Please tell us where we can get the .apk for the app version from say 6 months ago since that worked with ZERO issues. 

Best Answer

Seriously! It just gets worse. The Jan 12 update made it even worse. At least before I was able to find a workaround to sync. Now I can't do anything. I suppose they don't care because we've already bought the device. It's really frustrating to continue to be told that they are working on it. If that's really the case, they need to get some people who are actually able to improve it, not make it worse.

Best Answer